Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 09:30 AM

Default >> McDSP Channel G - Missed Feature?

I can not seem to find a way to set McDSP Channel G so that the EQ section is before the compressor. I must be missing something as this is a very standard configuration, and the routing I generally prefer. I appreciate Channel G has separate filters for the Compressor, which are handy for certain aplications, but in most cases I just want the EQ I am hearing to be what the compression is reacting to. Either I am missing how to adjust the routing accordlingly or McDSP missed a key feature. Which is it?

Yes, I know I can work around it by instantiating 2 Channel G plugins, which the EQ first, then the compressor, instead of just the one Channel G with both, but this is just more time clicking and adjusting and not why I purchased the product.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:02 AM

Default Re: >> McDSP Channel G - Missed Feature?

You can only do it by using it as 2 separate plugins.

Really lame.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:14 AM

Yes you can, you just need to set the "KEY" parameter of the compressor to the output of the filter section. You can check your routing by pressing the "SIG" button. The manual is really good; here's the link to it:

http://www.mcdsp.com/greendisk/manuals/chg_21_01013.pdf

(so not "really lame" Uno 1234....you just need to read & think a little)

Old 09-13-2007, 09:02 PM

Yes, I'm aware of the ability to key a compressor.

I read the manual too.

Still really lame.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:07 AM

I spoke to Colin specifically about this issue after demo-ing Channel G. He confirmed that the only way to do it right now would be to use two separate instances, but that perhaps it would be addressed in a forthcoming update. Really bummed me out, since, for whatever reason, that's kind of become my go-to signal flow for most things unless there's a specific problem that needs to be fixed.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:40 AM

> Yes you can, you just need to set the "KEY" parameter of the compressor to the output of the filter section. You can check your routing by pressing the "SIG" button. The manual is really good; here's the link to it: <

I don't read manuals ever. . . sorry that is the way I am built. However I do scan manuals always, and also always reference manuals when there is a question I can not answer. In this case it appears my scan was complete as G Channel does not work the way I would like it to, and my preference is not unusal and actually more the standard. I like the filter feature of that G-Channel has built in and do use it for a number of things, but I would also like the compressor to key to my actual EQ.

>Really bummed me out, since, for whatever reason, that's kind of become my go-to signal flow for most things unless there's a specific problem that needs to be fixed. <

Yes, it is my go to signal flow as well, and it makes a difference. Strange it was missed considering the talented people involved. The work around adds time and lack of time seems to be the biggest challenge in life. It needs to be addressed. In a perfect world I would like the option to key the compression based on the Side Chain EQ in series with the Actual EQ. . . basically the way it works now, plus the ability to move the EQ section infront of the Compression section.