Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2013, 10:58 AM

Default Pro Tools MP 9 freezing after a few minutes

Sorry my thread didn't post originally. Here is the post. Mind you, I'm looking to hear if anyone else has ever heard of this issue or encountered this before.

I have heard rumors that having to much space (free space) or whatever have you, on your hard drive can cause issues with Pro Tools. I have 2 1TB hard drives one runs 7200 the other 5400. Is it possible that Pro Tools MP 9 could be freezing because there is to much space for the program to search? Or something along those lines? And before I get the whole "Follow the simple instructions and post a Sandra report stuff" I already did, no one could help me, not even AVID Support. Who was rather stumped actually. So that being said, start naming random reasons as to why Pro Tools MP 9 would be freezing, then working great, then freezing completely, then requiring a system reboot. Quote from AVID Support "It's as if Pro Tools is being pulled away by something else wanting control or wanting to use it, then it comes back..." All thoughts welcome. My personal thought, time to buy a sludge hammer and destroy my computer.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:03 AM

5400 RPM drives will choke on the I/O requirements for production

If you think your drive size is having an effect, partition them and see if it makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-04-2013, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Beating the Dead Horse RE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
5400 RPM drives will choke on the I/O requirements for production

If you think your drive size is having an effect, partition them and see if it makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pro Tools runs on the 7200rpm drive. The 5400 one is for saving sessions. Should not effect the I/O at all. I will say this... Someone suggested to get rid of the second hard drive and try to run Pro Tools on the single 7200 rpm drive and also save to that drive as well. And guess what... it ran better. Still froze, but cut the not responding time down to like 3 minuets instead of 5. That kinda threw me for a loop.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopesfall6x6x6 View Post
Pro Tools runs on the 7200rpm drive. The 5400 one is for saving sessions. Should not effect the I/O at all. I will say this... Someone suggested to get rid of the second hard drive and try to run Pro Tools on the single 7200 rpm drive and also save to that drive as well. And guess what... it ran better. Still froze, but cut the not responding time down to like 3 minuets instead of 5. That kinda threw me for a loop.
A 5400 rpm drive isn't any good as an audio drive, period.
The only use a 5400 rpm drive has in a recording situation is for storage.
Recording to one drive isn't a good idea either.
A second 7200 rpm drive is the answer
Old 01-04-2013, 08:06 PM

Also most of us save our sessions to an 7200 RPM audio drive. You can back that up to whatever you want.

I admit that most of your issues sound like they are related to Green HDDs or some type of aggressive HDD power management feature.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-05-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Also most of us save our sessions to an 7200 RPM audio drive. You can back that up to whatever you want.

I admit that most of your issues sound like they are related to Green HDDs or some type of aggressive HDD power management feature.
hmmm... Alright then, next step is to purchase another seagate barracuda. But the question is, can to much hard drive space slow up pro tools and cause it to freeze occasionally? Has this been heard of before? Or is this more or less bull.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
hmmm... Alright then, next step is to purchase another seagate barracuda. But the question is, can to much hard drive space slow up pro tools and cause it to freeze occasionally? Has this been heard of before? Or is this more or less bull.
No this that is just total bs. And all time wasting. There are standard recommendation for disk setup, just follow them and you'd not be wasting time going though threads like this asking questions.

And apply all the standard systems optimizations, not doing those can certainly cause freezes/pauses/glitches.

Darryl
Old 01-05-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
No this that is just total bs. And all time wasting. There are standard recommendation for disk setup, just follow them and you'd not be wasting time going though threads like this asking questions.

And apply all the standard systems optimizations, not doing those can certainly cause freezes/pauses/glitches.

Darryl
Funny, because I just bought a second drive 7200 rpm 500gb drive and still doesn't work. Once again, AVID SUPPORT went into my computer and optimized everything and couldn't figure it out. He even complimented me on how clean my computer was (No Bulk)(plus optimizations already followed) So no, its not total BS. Just seems like I keep wasting more money on stupid suggestions from people who really have no idea how to fix issues like this. Once again. I'm cutting my losses and getting a new computer and not dealing with [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] like this anymore. Thanks for the suggestions but they all failed.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

Darryl
Excuse my anger, but seriously this is getting so old. I'm just done with PTMP9. I'm going to sell it. Avid Support was great, he was super nice. Real cool guy, so they have no hate from me. But the fact that all you do Darryl is tell people to READ the HELP US HELP YOU THREAD, and follow basic optimizations is retarded. How many times can you tell the same person the same thing, knowing in your head that they have already done this over 15 times. Your way of talking to people acting like you are the high and mighty ruler of Pro Tools threads is ridiculous. If your going to help someone then do it respectfully. Understand that said person is going through a hard time. Everyone else has been great. Only you come at me as if I am some stupid kid who doesn't know anything about anything. So please Darryl, if your going to try and help, then knock of this whole your better then everyone else attitude and try to be nicer about things. Now, with that being said... My computer is completely optimized for Pro Tools use. It has been. Purchased a new seagate barracuda 7200 rpm drive today. Pro Tools still freezes upon immediate load up. That means, after the loading screen as soon as the session opens whether new or old it freezes. Not allowing you to do anything. Then after about 5 minuets or longer it comes back strong. Then freezes again. Avid support tech suggested a hard drive switch which I followed and did not solve the problem. That was his only solution because everything else looked okay to him. That is where I stand with this issue.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Funny, because I just bought a second drive 7200 rpm 500gb drive and still doesn't work. Once again, AVID SUPPORT went into my computer and optimized everything and couldn't figure it out. He even complimented me on how clean my computer was (No Bulk)(plus optimizations already followed) So no, its not total BS. Just seems like I keep wasting more money on stupid suggestions from people who really have no idea how to fix issues like this. Once again. I'm cutting my losses and getting a new computer and not dealing with [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] like this anymore. Thanks for the suggestions but they all failed.
You asked if extra space on a disk would cause problems a of if that was "bull". I clarified what part of the bull it was. You, or whoever you are listening to is just creating meaningless things to about that is wasting your time finding a resolution. My other point was not about all optimizations it was about making sure the system meets the disk specs/requirements and is layed out with a separate dedicated audio drive etc. (and yes Avid often does not make it clear this may apply to MP versions but it does).

I am still having trouble following exactly what disks you have now and exactly what is stored on what drive. Do I cannot offer you specific advice. We know you are buying another drive but exactly what is on each drive? Ideally run another Sandra report with all drives attached and tell us what is on each one.

Darryl