Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 02-08-2020, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Maximum number allowed of latest MOTU Express 128s is 7 ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Again I understand this, but native plugins use up voices and I want to use native plugins during mixing
To be clear, voice is i/o point of the mixer. Whether you are using DSP or Native plugins has nothing to do with it. Every stream that inputs to the mixer needs a voice. So for every mono input you need one voice and for every 5.1 input you need six voicees. So once you are in your DSP mixer you can do DSP processing "for free" (voice-wise) but if you go out of the mixer and then get back in, you need another voice(s) for your second trip to the mixer.

So; if you go DSP/native/DSP/native/DSP you need to go out and in of the mixer multiple times, thus "eating" voices unnecessarily. You can avoid this by not using DSP plugins on the tracks where you need to use native plugins such as VI. If you only use native plugins and no DSP on your track, you are not using additional voices.

With that said, HDX1 has 256 voices and HDX2 has 512 voices currently (assuming you are working on 48k as most VI libraries are not recorded in 96k). Have you run out of voices many times lately?
Old 02-08-2020, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Maximum number allowed of latest MOTU Express 128s is 7 ??

Quote:
HDN is of zero use to me as it is 64 ins max and relies on the cpu which can not handle the sort of buffer I like working at.
If you work with VI's then it does not matter if you have HDN or HDX because you will be relying on the cpu anyway. Tell me again, how many DSP virtual instruments there are?
Old 02-08-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
If you work with VI's then it does not matter if you have HDN or HDX because you will be relying on the cpu anyway. Tell me again, how many DSP virtual instruments there are?
Exactly ZERO.

The goal is to have 128 input streams available all with HDX effects at ULL with no need to track to audio, and have the native cpu entirely devoted to kontakt when needed.

What is your issue with what *i* want to do for *MY* workflow anyway?

Native FX on VI tracks, HDX on inputs. I mean, how much more simply can I spell it out? I am not answering again, as you seem to enjoy picking people apart when their workflow doesn't suit yours and "you can't understand it". It's a never ending cycle with you. You work your way at 256 buffer and native, and I'll work mine.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:09 AM

No issue, just trying to understand and help.

Say you have 128 inputs from your synths and you have concerns of HDX2 voice count of 512 not being enough... what I am missing here? You can run those 128 inputs as 192kHz with 128 voices of HDX2@192k if you want to, but then your choice for plugins would be pretty limited. Even with HDX2@96k you would have 256 voices which is double your inputs.

Clearly I am missing something here so please help me out
Old 02-08-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I am not answering again
Suit yourself. I wouldn't want to hear that 256 buffer comment third time a row as it has nothing to do with your issue I still fail to understand.