Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 02-08-2020, 04:47 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Maximum number allowed of latest MOTU Express 128s is 7 ??

Just a shot in the dark here, but there used to be some sort of limit of ten MIDI devices configured in Windows. Korg controllers used to have an issue with this so Korg has a package of USB driver utils to remove any old or unneeded. Since the MIDI code in PT goes way back, it too might be subject to old limitations. In the Korg package there is an app Uninstall Korg USB-MIDI Device that lists the ten allowed MIDI devices (you can also uninstall any device as an option). In the Windows MIDI config those slots may be occupied by devices that were previously configured, but no longer there. They show up as corrupted if the driver is not present and can be removed. See if all 8 of your MOTU devices show up in the Korg app. If not, you can remove devices and the 8th should take an available slot when plugged in. Don't know if that all makes sense, but the Korg tools are here: https://www.korg.com/us/support/down...er/1/285/3541/ and create a system restore point before removing anything.
Attached Images
File Type: png Annotation 2020-02-08 075807.png (21.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by ChuckS; 02-08-2020 at 05:00 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:00 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Maximum number allowed of latest MOTU Express 128s is 7 ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Base12 View Post
Unlike plugins which use virtual cables, vintage synthesizers use 5 din midi cables. Every time you pull and push these cables in you risk damaging the solder connections inside the Synthesizer.
Okay, point taken.

You can however cut the midi cable in half and solder regular XLR connectors to it, effectively making MIDI adapters and using regular mic cables for your MIDI gear.

You did know that only three pins are actaully used, didn't you? The three in the middle are used, while ones on the edges of the DIN are not. The middle pin is ground and the ones next to it carry signal and as long as you solder everything the same way you can replace your clunky midi cables with standard mic cables and leave the DIN connectors always plugged in.

With standard cabling, a patchbay is also very much more convenient.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
My dream is 128 inputs into a HDX3 so every synth can use every output and be plugged in at all times, as well as leaving some room for future synths.
Cool. However HDX2 would be enough for 128 inputs.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Okay, point taken.

You can however cut the midi cable in half and solder regular XLR connectors to it, effectively making MIDI adapters and using regular mic cables for your MIDI gear.

You did know that only three pins are actaully used, didn't you? The three in the middle are used, while ones on the edges of the DIN are not. The middle pin is ground and the ones next to it carry signal and as long as you solder everything the same way you can replace your clunky midi cables with standard mic cables and leave the DIN connectors always plugged in.

With standard cabling, a patchbay is also very much more convenient.
But I think most who have a pile of synths, myself included, like to have them all connected and available at all times. (mine are mostly in storage right now but I certainly can relate). The outputs go into a patch bay of course but MIDI stays hardwired.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
But I think most who have a pile of synths, myself included, like to have them all connected and available at all times. (mine are mostly in storage right now but I certainly can relate). The outputs go into a patch bay of course but MIDI stays hardwired.
Sure but why not patchbay MIDI as well to keep things simple? Especially if outputs are on patchbay, what is the point in keeping MIDI hardwired? You need both so if one is in the patchbay, another patchbay right next to it shouldn't be too much. FWIW that MIDI XLR thing is not just a theory. I have done it multiple times on live gigs. Have your brand X keyboard on stage and pick sounds from FOH that is at least 15-30 meters away from stage. MIDI cables that long? Sure they say you are crazy but if you do what I said it is working perfectly.

But what do I know, I even hate the idea of having more than one master keyboard in a studio, maximum of two keybard on stage. You need to be an effing Jordan Rudess to have more Even having half a dozen synths powered up and ready to be played would take way too much space IMO so I'm just going to accept that I do not fully understand the problem
Old 02-08-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Cool. However HDX2 would be enough for 128 inputs.
I realise this, but maybe not enough voices.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
I realise this, but maybe not enough voices.
Per card, voice count is 256/128/64 depending on your session sampling rate (48/96/192) -- currently up to 768 voices with three cards. We are still expecting Avid to release HDX voice upgrade that they tried last year but have not yet released. Maybe with official Mac Pro support? With that said, HDN already has 384/192/96 voices with up to 768 voices with extra cost voice packs.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
But what do I know, I even hate the idea of having more than one master keyboard in a studio, maximum of two keybard on stage. You need to be an effing Jordan Rudess to have more Even having half a dozen synths powered up and ready to be played would take way too much space IMO so I'm just going to accept that I do not fully understand the problem
Yeah I don't know, I have a desire to be surrounded by a wall of synths on at least two sides. Must be a disease
Old 02-08-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Yeah I don't know, I have a desire to be surrounded by a wall of synths on at least two sides. Must be a disease
Must be

A wall of Genelecs would be another story. That disease I have had for decades already. Currently 7060B sub and five 8040B satellites.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Per card, voice count is 256/128/64 depending on your session sampling rate (48/96/192) -- currently up to 768 voices with three cards. We are still expecting Avid to release HDX voice upgrade that they tried last year but have not yet released. Maybe with official Mac Pro support? With that said, HDN already has 384/192/96 voices with up to 768 voices with extra cost voice packs.
Again I understand this, but native plugins use up voices and I want to use native plugins during mixing as well as VI's and UA plugins.

HDN is of zero use to me as it is 64 ins max and relies on the cpu which can not handle the sort of buffer I like working at.

You don't like walls of synths and you don't like ultra low latency and think 256 buffer is OK.. so.. we'll never agree, let's just leave it at that.