Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2017, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Minimum System for Recording Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
Is there a specific advantage over using Pro Tools?
It's a dedicated recording- only app.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I dislike the misinformation that OWC was hyping about TRIM. Not a way I expected a trusted provider to respond. Their drives mostly use Sandforce controllers and firmware. Sandforce had a bad early reputation for bugs, including those that burnt me. I would much rather trust in a company like Samsung who controls their own firmware (and much more) inside their SSD drives and especially has the in-house ability to issue firmware bug fixes themselves. These modern SSD drives and their firmware is incredibly complicated.

I do not see any space in the modern SSD ecosystem for small vendors to be OEMing or rebadging SSD drives. And would in general look for drives from folks like Samsung, Micron, Intel or Sandisk/Western Digital. But SSDs are complex and the question always comes down to what exact model drive, not just a brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah....
I had good customer service from OWC, and wanted to like them, but I had three of their SSD drives fail for no good reason in two different macs.
They honored their warranty, although it was a little bit of a pain.
Went back to Samsung and have been fine since.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:53 AM

I made the change with OWC and found a great deal on the 500 Gig Samsung drive at Office Depot, of all places. Everything will be here within the next couple of days. Appreciate all the advice!
Custom i9-12900K, 64GB RAM, W10 Pro, PT Ultimate 2024.03, HD Native, OMNI, Digi 192, UAD-2 Octo; Mac Pro 12-core 3.46, 64GB RAM, Mojave, Logic Pro 10.5.1, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Quad, MOTU 2408 Mk II: MBP mid-2012, 16GB RAM, Mojave, MOTU 8-Pre-ES, Pro Tools 2021.7
Old 09-07-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
It's a dedicated recording- only app.

And therefore much simpler, hopefully lower load on the computer and hopefully more reliable. And it's free... Never used it myself but tracking live with Pro Tools when all you need is a simple tape recorder would not really be my idea of fun. The moment you need more of course it's a totally different story.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
And therefore much simpler, hopefully lower load on the computer and hopefully more reliable. And it's free... Never used it myself but tracking live with Pro Tools when all you need is a simple tape recorder would not really be my idea of fun. The moment you need more of course it's a totally different story.

Interestingly, up until this changeover I've been using SAWStudio for location recording. Rock-solid and highly efficient. Not a single crash in any remote session, ever-and that on a Pentium 4 W95 PC. Maybe I'm opening up a can of worms by switching to PT...
Custom i9-12900K, 64GB RAM, W10 Pro, PT Ultimate 2024.03, HD Native, OMNI, Digi 192, UAD-2 Octo; Mac Pro 12-core 3.46, 64GB RAM, Mojave, Logic Pro 10.5.1, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Quad, MOTU 2408 Mk II: MBP mid-2012, 16GB RAM, Mojave, MOTU 8-Pre-ES, Pro Tools 2021.7
Old 09-18-2017, 12:02 PM

Happy to report that the new MBP system worked like a champ at its first orchestra recording gig. I didn't get the optical drive swap kit and Samsung SSD until a couple of days before the concert, and after watching the OWC video, I was too chicken to break into the computer just yet. So I used the system SSD and everything was glitch-free. I will dive in and install the second drive before the next concert in October.

Thanks to everybody for all the help and recommendations. I should have made this move much earlier.