Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2012, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Where is ProTools heading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Dan - what is ur mobo and CPU model and specs ???

It sounds like a nice setup

Overclocked 2700K, 2x SSDs, dual boot OSX and Win7. Cost me about $1300, from scratch including case and PSU. Benchmarks the same as the heralded 6-core Mac Pro.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-18-2012, 04:32 PM

The MB Pro Retina is an amazing machine. Put it this way, my friend too the same session, a HUGE session, from his 12-Core Mac Pro (recent model). Then he played it on his new MB Pro Retina. The CPU usage was about 20% LESS than on the Mac Pro.

Which isn't that the MB Pro is so fast, but the architecture of the Mac Pro is OLD at this point.

Absolute 100% agree that for very few does it make sense to buy Digi hardware anymore. In fact the only people it makes sense for, are people who want/need 512 voices, or HUGE sets of plugins running (of course we're still waiting for all the AAX plugs anyway)

So yeah, kinda pointless. I first traded from an HD3 to an HD Native card. I didn't miss TDM. I've now gone from that to a MOTU Firewire interface, and am not really missing the HD Native card either.

A decently fast machine is all you need.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:51 PM

I built an IvyBridge Hackintosh and couldn't be more happy. That plus a MOTU flavor PCIe and you're golden ... of course depending on what it is you eventually need in the long run. I'm doing music, so my biggest input session is in tracking the drums. From there it's at most 3 at a time in.

Would I like to put an HD Native card in my Hackintosh with an Avid 16 analog I/O? Sure, but I don't have $6500 to burn. Can do the same thing with more inputs with a MOTU 24io @ $1420 ... If you absolutely NEED >96k, go for the MOTU HD192s (12io) @ $1799 (add another for $1519 to make 24io) ... considerably less money than Avid hardware. $3318 compared to $6499 ...

I am not a MOTU salesman nor do I have any experience with Avid hardware save for the Digi Mbox2 Mini that I had to use with PT8. I'm simply a poor struggling artist that makes every dollar count. I had outgrown my Early 2008 C2D MacBookPro running out of juice on sessions and remedied that with the Core i7 Hackintosh.

When the time comes that I need to choose between HD Native with 16x16 analog HD I/O and MOTU HD192s that $3181 difference along with the 8 additional channels is going to mean a lot, especially if I don't have MD421s yet, etc. Also, I have other DAW software (DP, Logic, Cubase, Reaper) and MOTU interfaces are going to work with them all.

... and to think, I'm going to get a ton more juice for free (well, after the hefty upgrade fee) when Pro Tools goes 64 bit? I just wish I had the problem of deciding whether to spend $6.5k or $12k ... I don't have the revenue to afford such nice things ... I'm sticking with it though ... every day ... one day at a time ...

I guess the best advice is to look into where you want or need improvement and pick the solution that best fixes it in your own opinion and within your budget.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:56 AM

I'd like to throw in another Mac computer to this discussion: an i7 equipped iMac (either the 21.5 or 27 incher). Thunderbolt port if you want to run a PT HD Native or HDX via 3rd party box (or the UAD Apollo via it's TB card - which is now shipping btw). 32 gig possible ram. Or you could run any of the MOTU interfaces which I agree are great value for money.

QAPLA!
Old 09-19-2012, 06:42 AM

27" is a beautiful machine - but pricey compared to the i7 hacks
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
27" is a beautiful machine - but pricey compared to the i7 hacks
True but what if you don't want to hassle with a Hacktinosh? A lot of us don't. It's not that we're not capable of putting such a machine together but there comes a time when you don't want or need the hassle.

QAPLA!
Old 09-19-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
True but what if you don't want to hassle with a Hacktinosh? A lot of us don't.
Me included ... Today's Hackintoshes are WAY easier to manage than in the past. Buy the right hardware and you're set.

I now have a monster machine running my favorite operating system and the latest Pro Tools. I can choose whatever caliber of hardware I desire. Faster CPU released? Pop it in. Maybe needs a new chipset on the motherboard? Swap it out.

In the past I used to go to the online Apple Store and spec out the Mac Pro I would want. It added up to thousands of dollars. Going the Hackintosh route, I did spend a lot of time on research, I was nervous, but I saved those thousands of dollars.

This is simply the best machine I've ever owned, and I built it!
Old 09-19-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatStudio.Org View Post
Me included ... Today's Hackintoshes are WAY easier to manage than in the past. Buy the right hardware and you're set.

I now have a monster machine running my favorite operating system and the latest Pro Tools. I can choose whatever caliber of hardware I desire. Faster CPU released? Pop it in. Maybe needs a new chipset on the motherboard? Swap it out.

In the past I used to go to the online Apple Store and spec out the Mac Pro I would want. It added up to thousands of dollars. Going the Hackintosh route, I did spend a lot of time on research, I was nervous, but I saved those thousands of dollars.

This is simply the best machine I've ever owned, and I built it!
^ Every word.

It's so rewarding to build a machine yourself that out specs others which cost thousands more.

Instead of waiting and praying that a company will give a s**t about the professional community, you can build a better computer for a 3rd of the price, with not much effort. Same goes for every pre-built audio computer I've ever encountered. Rain, SPC, Apple... they're all so expensive for what you get.

Plus, extra engineering cred for assembling your own gear.

D

Old 09-19-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
^ Every word.

It's so rewarding to build a machine yourself that out specs others which cost thousands more.

Instead of waiting and praying that a company will give a s**t about the professional community, you can build a better computer for a 3rd of the price, with not much effort. Same goes for every pre-built audio computer I've ever encountered. Rain, SPC, Apple... they're all so expensive for what you get.

Plus, extra engineering cred for assembling your own gear.
No argument there; hell - I've (am an EE) done more than my share of cobbling electronics systems together. Same with software. I just don't have the patience at age 60+ to do that anymore. Not to mention the legal issues of going against Apple's EULA with using OSX on a non-Apple system. And I definitely want OSX - have done the Windoze thing for decades and like the Raven says - nevermore!

QAPLA!
Old 09-19-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
No argument there; hell - I've (am an EE) done more than my share of cobbling electronics systems together. Same with software. I just don't have the patience at age 60+ to do that anymore. Not to mention the legal issues of going against Apple's EULA with using OSX on a non-Apple system. And I definitely want OSX - have done the Windoze thing for decades and like the Raven says - nevermore!
No legal issues. It was decided by the supreme court a while back. Apple can not like it, but you can't get in any trouble for it.

The only thing that can't be done, is for someone to build a system with OSX, and then sell it. However, there's nothing stopping you from building a system and paying someone to install OSX on it for you. Plenty of ways around it.

D