Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2017, 07:43 PM

Default Minimum System for Recording Only

Hey, all. I use PT12HD in the studio, but I do location recording 8-10 times a year. Been toting around an old but reliable Windows XP desktop using SAWStudio until that system just bit the dust, so I'm leaning toward moving to Mac and PT now. I don't do enough of this to justify a pricey Macbook Pro, but both the Mac Mini (and possibly iMac) look intriguing. I need a system that will record 24 tracks for extended sessions, but never anything beyond the capture itself. I know all the published specs and reasons for going bigger, but in real world terms, what is the bare minimum system you'd recommend for such a specific task?
Custom i9-12900K, 64GB RAM, W10 Pro, PT Ultimate 2024.03, HD Native, OMNI, Digi 192, UAD-2 Octo; Mac Pro 12-core 3.46, 64GB RAM, Mojave, Logic Pro 10.5.1, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Quad, MOTU 2408 Mk II: MBP mid-2012, 16GB RAM, Mojave, MOTU 8-Pre-ES, Pro Tools 2021.7
Old 08-29-2017, 07:51 PM

Default Minimum System for Recording Only

What interface are you using? What other gear? If you are moving around a rack of stuff already? Recording 24 tracks *simultaneously*? What exactly, a band? Choir? Give us some clue what you are doing.

You own Pro Tools already? Would take your HD license/iLok out to record with on site?

Importantly how much "stuff" do you need in the recording DAW? Do you need VIs etc etc Other vendors make lighter weight recording software like Waves Tracks Live or you can use a stand alone digital recorder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-29-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Minimum System for Recording Only

And to add to Darryls post, Lugging around an iMac would be very unreasonable as its Heavy and quite fragile.

I would get a second hand Macbook Pro 2012 where you can have two internal hard drives and you can update RAM at your pleasure. The new Macbooks are soldered RAM so no bueno.

I seen the MBP late 2011 early to mid 2012 for 600-ish USD if i convert from swedish SEK to USD.

You can put two SSD drives into that MBP by using the dvd tray which us unnecessary anyway nowadays or jusst have the dvd tray with you in case you wanna burn a dvd/cd on the road and just swap it on the go.

I have many friends who have that MBP and they love it. It is an i7 CPU and it has everything you need in power and specs for the price. I would go with one of those infront of the iMac or Mac Mini for sure.

If you want to look at mac mini make sure it is an i7 and the "Server" version a.k.a Amac mini server. They are quite heap now and seen them for 400-500 USD. Look at the Macbook Pro late 2011 or mid 2012 i7 and get two ssd drives and you are golden. If you cant find what you want hollaback and I can buy one here and send it to you and still come in way under 600USD. I have a family member at upper mngmnt for UPS so shipping would be none or maybe a $50 dollabill maximum. Right now i see a few great condition ones for around $500 which can be hassled down 35-50 bucks.

Let me know if ypu cant find what you are looking for at the price you wanna pay and i will do everything i can to get you what you want for the price you wanna pay within reason and ship it insured to you so you have it expedited shipping within 2 business days

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-29-2017, 08:34 PM

Indeed, a used MBP with an i7 quad and maxed out RAM would be my choice(even though I am a PC guy) for portable recording.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-29-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Indeed, a used MBP with an i7 quad and maxed out RAM would be my choice(even though I am a PC guy) for portable recording.
Same here, mostly a PC guy (Mac for Logic but not PT). Agreed, it's looking like an older MBP might be the best choice. Looking into it.
Custom i9-12900K, 64GB RAM, W10 Pro, PT Ultimate 2024.03, HD Native, OMNI, Digi 192, UAD-2 Octo; Mac Pro 12-core 3.46, 64GB RAM, Mojave, Logic Pro 10.5.1, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Quad, MOTU 2408 Mk II: MBP mid-2012, 16GB RAM, Mojave, MOTU 8-Pre-ES, Pro Tools 2021.7
Old 08-29-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
And to add to Darryls post, Lugging around an iMac would be very unreasonable as its Heavy and quite fragile.

I would get a second hand Macbook Pro 2012 where you can have two internal hard drives and you can update RAM at your pleasure. The new Macbooks are soldered RAM so no bueno.

I seen the MBP late 2011 early to mid 2012 for 600-ish USD if i convert from swedish SEK to USD.

You can put two SSD drives into that MBP by using the dvd tray which us unnecessary anyway nowadays or jusst have the dvd tray with you in case you wanna burn a dvd/cd on the road and just swap it on the go.

I have many friends who have that MBP and they love it. It is an i7 CPU and it has everything you need in power and specs for the price. I would go with one of those infront of the iMac or Mac Mini for sure.

If you want to look at mac mini make sure it is an i7 and the "Server" version a.k.a Amac mini server. They are quite heap now and seen them for 400-500 USD. Look at the Macbook Pro late 2011 or mid 2012 i7 and get two ssd drives and you are golden. If you cant find what you want hollaback and I can buy one here and send it to you and still come in way under 600USD. I have a family member at upper mngmnt for UPS so shipping would be none or maybe a $50 dollabill maximum. Right now i see a few great condition ones for around $500 which can be hassled down 35-50 bucks.

Let me know if ypu cant find what you are looking for at the price you wanna pay and i will do everything i can to get you what you want for the price you wanna pay within reason and ship it insured to you so you have it expedited shipping within 2 business days
Thanks much, Christopher. I'll take a look at both the MBP and Mini options and see how the market looks.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
...I would get a second hand Macbook Pro 2012 where you can have two internal hard drives and you can update RAM at your pleasure...
I second that. You can see in my signature what I'm running. It's a mid 2012 model. I've only got the one stock hard drive in mine, but I run an external SSD for sessions, and it works great! I have no problem tracking 32 track live recordings from a Behringer X32 mixer. I've done 4 hour concert sessions without a hitch.
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 08-30-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikDraw View Post
I second that. You can see in my signature what I'm running. It's a mid 2012 model. I've only got the one stock hard drive in mine, but I run an external SSD for sessions, and it works great! I have no problem tracking 32 track live recordings from a Behringer X32 mixer. I've done 4 hour concert sessions without a hitch.
Yep, I'm definitely going this direction. Interesting that you're opting to run PT on the Windows partition.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
Yep, I'm definitely going this direction. Interesting that you're opting to run PT on the Windows partition.
I'm running on macOS more lately. I'm definitely more at home in a Windows environment; I know the shortcuts better. All my sessions are on NTFS drives, so it's been kind of a pain to try to run them on Mac.

That goes back to the days when Firewire drives were less reliable on Windows, and USB drives were less reliable on Mac, and I didn't own a Mac, so I went USB and NTFS. Of course, USB is fine on macOS now, and Firewire is dead.

The current version of Paragon seems to make NTFS on macOS seamless though. A fresh install of Sierra is definitely the fastest I've ever seen my Mac run.

I'll have to try a 32 track live recording to my NTFS formatted SSD on the Mac, and see how it goes!
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 08-29-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What interface are you using? What other gear? If you are moving around a rack of stuff already? Recording 24 tracks *simultaneously*? What exactly, a band? Choir? Give us some clue what you are doing.

You own Pro Tools already? Would take your HD license/iLok out to record with on site?

Importantly how much "stuff" do you need in the recording DAW? Do you need VIs etc etc Other vendors make lighter weight recording software like Waves Tracks Live or you can use a stand alone digital recorder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey, Darryl. My systems have always been PCIe card based, so I'd need to get a USB interface. Probably an RME USB Digiface, since I already have external conversion with ADAT outputs. I do bring a rack or two of preamps and converters. Most of my remotes are orchestras, but have also included choirs, jazz bands, recitals, conferences, etc...

I have a second PT 11 license that I would use for the remote system. And it would be absolutely bare---no VI's and zero third-party plugins. No need for any type of mixing or processing whatsoever. The remote system will sit on a shelf between sessions. I've thought about a standalone recorder but haven't liked any of the options. I prefer to stick with a DAW, and using Pro Tools would simplify the transfer process to my main rig.