Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-08-2007, 09:15 PM

Default \"hanging\" applications when mbox 2 plugged in

Macbook pro, 15", bought after sept. 2006
1GB ram
10.4.9 OSX (combo update)
MBOX2, Protools 7.1.3
Tannoy Reveals (active studio monitors)

This is my first post. Hopefully i've provided enough information and am abiding by forum rules/practices. I am somewhat new to the MAC and PRO TOOLS world.

PROBLEM: I typically like to use my studio monitors to listen to music (i.e. mbox 2 plugged into left usb port and studio monitors plugged into "mono out" ports). System preferences are set to use the digidesign mbox 2 for sound output. Occasionally an active program that happens to be open, will hang (i.e. get a spinning wheel just for that particular application) and force quiting does nothing (typical programs that i've seen crash: itunes, windows messenger, photobooth, firefox). I can still navigate through the OS but it usually starts a chain reaction of other programs crashing. Can only restart the computer by holding down the power button.

This can typically happen 2-3 times a day. Tend to notice it more when i leave the computer idle for a while. (P.S. I do have the display set to shut down after 20 minutes to save my monitor. I've read that i should set it to never shut down). I don't think i've had protools itself crash (but it may have. Just can't remember. This problem has been happening for a while). As you could imagine, its a little annoying when you have a session running. You go downstairs to eat, come back and programs start crashing.

WHAT I'VE TRIED (in no particular order):

General trouble shooting guide in the DUC
Apple Hardware test - everything checked out
Was able to run activity monitor during the "hanging" and plenty of memory (500mb)
Reset PRAM
deleted all recommended "startup" files in the library folder (as recommended by applecare)
deleted "cache" folder in library folder (as recommended by applecare)
uninstalled Protools (clean) and reinstalled protools.
Repaired permissions
Talked to Applecare for an hour.

I ran my computer with no peripherals attached for a week and did not experience any "hanging" applications. I then plugged in my MBOX2 into the left USB port and within the day it "hung" itunes and windows messenger.

I have not tried the MBOX 2 firmware update. From my impression it is not needed if i'm not experiencing white noise issues.

would really like to get this damn thing resolved. Been pressing my power button so much to restart that its indented into my comp.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:25 AM

Default Re: \"hanging\" applications when mbox 2 plugged in

Have you tried disabling Spotlight Indexing? I stability problems with ProTools hanging (spinning wheel). Turning off spotlight indexing definitely helped.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Avid

When you say you've tried all the General Troubleshooting, did anything change when you created a new admin account?

What items are in the folder located at MacHD>Library>Audio>Plug-ins>HAL?

Do you have anything inside your Startup Items folder located at MacHD>Library>Startup Items?

What about Login items on your current account?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:48 AM

I've experienced the same problem with my new Mac Pro. After tons of searching....the consensus seems to be that the problem is usb related (so you are on the right track) I never tried unplugging my Mbox2..... because ProTools is the primary reason that I have a mac anyway!
One person suggested not using the usb ports on the keyboard or the monitor. I had my (wireless) mouse plugged in to the usb port on my keyboard. I moved it to a hub and my freezes have been greatly reduced. I still get the occasional crash (once a week-ish - usually Firefox, iTunes, iChat, QuickTime, etc.)
It drives me crazy that I'm unable to force quit the application..... even in the activity monitor.
I hate to improperly shut down my mac. I also wonder if maybe the "crashing" of the computer may potentially corrupt the frozen app. For example, I re-installed FireFox... and things seems better for a while.....but the problem still occurs sometimes.

After re-starting, I always boot from my install disk and run the disk utility/disk repair.

I've posted here and at the apple discussion - and I've found no definitive solution
I was hoping that 10.4.9 might be better .... but I guess not huh?

Calling all Mac gurus!!!!!
Apogee Rosetta 200/ UA LA-610
Genelec 8030A/7050b
McDSP, Waves, Sony, URS, Spectrasonics, BFD, Altiverb
Old 04-09-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:

digidesign coreaudio. plugin
iSightAudio.plugin

Quote:
Do you have anything inside your Startup Items folder located at MacHD>Library>Startup Items?
3 folders
Digidesign Mbox2
Digidesign loader
PaceSupport

Quote:

iTunes Helper

Do all of these items look kosher?

The problem has been so sporadic that i haven't tried a new admin account...should I give that a try?
Genelec 8030A/7050b
Old 04-09-2007, 04:10 PM

bump
Genelec 8030A/7050b
Old 04-09-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
When you say you've tried all the General Troubleshooting, did anything change when you created a new admin account?

I haven't tried creating a new admin account. I'll give that shot. Keeping in mind i'll have to run the computer for a while.

In my existing user account under MacHD>Library>Startup Items i have the following:

Digidesign CoreAudio.plugin
DVCPROHDAudio.plugin
iSightAudio.plugin

Under MacHD>Library>Startup Items i have 4 folders:

Digidesign Mbox 2
DigidesignLoader
PACESupport
Qmaster

I have nothing currently in my login items.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Have you tried disabling Spotlight Indexing? I stability problems with ProTools hanging (spinning wheel). Turning off spotlight indexing definitely helped.
I had my protools session folders disabled from spotlight. But not the entire drive. I'll try disabling the entire drive.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I had my protools session folders disabled from spotlight. But not the entire drive. I'll try disabling the entire drive.
ok so i'm not entirely sure how to disable spotlight indexing. I just did what was suggested in the protools manual: drag the entire drive into the "privacy" window in system preferences.

This didn't work. I still eventually got a hanging program (this time skype). I had 180mb of memory left according to activity monitor.

I will try using a new user account now.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:34 AM

Default Same Problem!!!!

Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 1G Ram with Mbox2
Tiger 1.4.9
Pro Tools 7.3.1 cs2

Look at my video.
It only happened when mbox2 connected with macbook..
never happened while mbox2 disconnected..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOZEDTGyKac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBLoeuc5saY