Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2009, 08:12 AM

Default bounce vs. export region as file

possibly dumb question: if i want to make a mix within my session and then pull the file out is there any difference between bouncing it to disc or choosing export region as file from the drop-down menu in the region bin? I know bouncing is a real-time function and export is quicker. Is there a difference in quality either way?
Old 09-09-2009, 08:48 AM

Default Re: bounce vs. export region as file

No, there would be no difference sound wise if you're exporting to a 24 bit file. I suppose if your destination file was a lower bit depth, bouncing to disk would allow you some alternative dither options (export audio will use the Digi dither if the destination is a lower bit depth ).
Old 09-09-2009, 08:50 AM

well, first off, they're both real time processes,
cuz before you can export you need to create the file to be exported and that means recording to disc.
do a search about this vs. bouncing and you'll find many long threads about diffs between the two methods.
b.o.l.
e
Old 09-09-2009, 11:47 AM

You're right: for audio files, bouncing is done in real time whereas exporting happens faster than real time.

As long as both the bounce and the export are done at 24-bits, the quality should be the same. If you export to 16-bits or bounce to 16-bits, then your dither plugin may make a small difference in the quality.

The main difference at either bit level is that any plugins and automation on the track will be included if you bounce; if you export, there are no automation and plugin effects included in the exported file.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:39 PM

I do somthing like this all the time.

I will record a stereo track to send to another studio (like a piano overdub).

Rather than waiting for the file to bounce to real time I ask them before hand what sample rate and bit depth they want. I set the session most of the time on audio to 24/44.1

I record the piano track, close down protools, open the audio folder, copy and paste the l/r files to another folder, open it up in sound forge and combine to stereo 24/44.1, save and send on you send it.

It works like a charm

For all complaints click here

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 09-09-2009, 05:11 PM

I stopped using Bounce to Disc years ago. It sounded horrible...the stereo image wasn't as wide,,,ugh. The Export to Disc worked fine. Maybe they fixed this by now...I don't know.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:20 PM

Just remember on image that I have found the best results are to bounce to multiple mono within the session and then take that track out of the regions bin. I did notice (maybe just me) that there was a difference doing it that way.

Also make sure you are not mixing and mastering at the same time. That is a no no.

If you just have to not use a mastering engineer and want to (here it goes) master in the box, bounce multiple mono, make a new audio track and a new master fader, deactivate all but those 2 tracks and then begin your finalization process. Do your fades and pauses etc and consolidate the region then pull THAT file out and burn it. That is an option instead of bouncing to disk. I may be doing it wrong but have done it many times.

Let me set the record straight though, I mix then send my stuff to ME. That is what he does best. For quickies and low budget I use the other

For all complaints click here

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 09-09-2009, 05:36 PM

I edit a lot of long audio files of seminars and no way I could wait for bounce to disk. I edit the audio, consolidate, and export the file works and sounds great.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar97 View Post
Also make sure you are not mixing and mastering at the same time. That is a no no.
i'd hate to see u take a pole on this Scar

& export can be different dependent upon things... for instance, when I wanna just shoot som'n to som1, or just listening to it for myself I bounce; but when doing real bounces etc. I record back in PT or to my Masterlink for this reason... I run my mixes thru an A2D along with a few other pieces of gear(although they're on the MF-so I guess that doesn't matter much) but I have the A2D going in the rack SPDIF so I record that back in & export...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)