Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2004, 10:13 AM

Default Re: POLL: What IR\'s would you like to see?

Plate reverbs!
Old 05-25-2004, 10:16 AM

the room from the old lexicon 200
Old 05-25-2004, 10:42 AM

Go on people, go on!

---> Roberts: A big range of Lex 960 presets has been sampled and is available at http://altiverb.daw-mac.com/

---> GL: i have a twin reverb here, i can do that. But, as Alan said, only the reverb and frequesncy response is captured in an IR. So, all tube and speaker distorition and compression effects are not captured. Therefor it will never be like the real thing. Wich doesn't mean it wouldn't be useful, but its just not the same as the real one.

---> Snoopy, can you contact me? fokkie_at_xs4all.nl. I will talk you through. In the meantime, in the Altiverb manual as well as on the pdf capturing is described. Do you own Altiverb? If not, buy it! Its the only app that has the possiblity to capture yourself.

---> Digigirly: Why do you need a Lexiverb IR? The 480, and 960 IR's that are around are better then an IR of the Lexiverb. If you want backward compatability, its no use since it is impossible to capture every setting of it. If you want a specific setting, let me know and i will capture it.

Note: There is a problem in capturing Lexicons like the 300, 480 and 960 units because of the wander and spin parameters. They modulate the time very slightly, like a chorus. This gives the warmth of the units. This cannot be captured in an IR. Again, no IR will beat the real thing. I don't know if Lexiverb does use this trick as well although they don't have these parameters.

---> Rockridge; Sydney Opera House is available at Audioease's www.

---> Mixer: i have captured a Lex200, available for FREE on my website mentioned in the first post.

To all others; i take notice of your wishes.

Go on people! More wishes! (oh yeah, a wishing well IR! )

Fokke
Old 05-25-2004, 10:49 AM

Outdoor Environments like Forrests, Town Squares or circles, box canyons, outside buildings with irregular shapes, Tunnels, caves that sort of thing.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:57 AM

I don't own Altiverb and have yet to really use any IRs yet. I have some plates and chambers I live by, but have been considering tryng to sample them and use them in Space Designer as I haven't found any really useable presets that come with it (well for what I am looking for). Would be nice to not have to set up mics and speakers for re-amping, and even if it doesn't come out as good, I am interested in trying just for the sake of experimentation.

I hear so much raving by people about altiverb and space designer. I was quite dissapointed when I tried the presets in space designer and couldnt find anything really useable as say a good drum room. Now I am unsure if it's because I am expecting too much out of IRs or the factory presets on space designer just aren't great for my purpose. I want to get started on making my own once I get free time.

I assumed it boiled down to creating an audio file which could be used in any of the programs, but maybe I am wrong about that. I hear people talking about having made IRs in space designer so I don't think Altiverb is the only one that allows you to do that. But I really have no idear.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:22 PM

Fokke, why the LEXIVERB ?
Simply because it sounds great on drum ambience, coloured yes but in a good way.
Lots of people will agree but never visit this boring DUC.......;
So go on, sample this beauty,
Old 05-25-2004, 12:45 PM

I own this plug too, and do feel its a shame it will never be available in OSX. But, since Altiverb i use it much less then i did b4. Please mail me some settings you like to see, or, if you can't open os9 sessions no more, just send me the sessions w/o audio. I presume you have backups, right? fokkie_at_xs4all.nl Make sure you stuff-it before sending it, e-mail is handled on PC here.
Fokke
Old 05-25-2004, 12:47 PM

[QUOTE]
Go on people, go on!

---> GL: i have a twin reverb here, i can do that. But, as Alan said, only the reverb and frequesncy response is captured in an IR. So, all tube and speaker distorition and compression effects are not captured. Therefor it will never be like the real thing. Wich doesn't mean it wouldn't be useful, but its just not the same as the real one.

Oh that's great. I'll bet it'll be good, though. What year is the Twin? Thanks for considering my suggestion.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:51 PM

A collection of vocal cavities (i.e. male, female?) - each containing a range of vowel sounds.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 05-25-2004, 02:03 PM

I''ll have to second the request for outdoor spaces. Once I get things together around here, I'll go out to my mother's house in Arizona and get some IR's in the desert. I'd like to try something like:

Straight-ahead captures at 3 feet, 5 feet, 8 feet, and so on. Captured with some of those Core Sound binaural 4060's. Do you think the omni binaural's will work well for this purpose?

I can't tell you how many times I'm just trying to make ADR or some foley cue sound like it was performed about ten or twelve feet away. Since starting with some game design and advert stuff I'm now expected to process these sounds myself and bypass the mixing stage because of cost provisions (or lack thereof). I'm hoping that these sampling reverbs will be the answer.

Special thanks to Mr. Van Saane for his generous contributions and enthusiasm. You're inspiring me to make my own IR's and share them.

S.