Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2002, 01:07 PM

Default Re: What removeable media are you using?

Kingston SCSI drives are the standard here in LA. All the film dubbing studios use them both for ProTools and for MMR-8's. Both wide and narrow drives are acceptable.

Of course you can't really consider these permanent storage. I usually back up to CD-R's for permanent (?) storage. It's pretty easy to break a session's audio files into a couple of folders to fit on multiple CD's.

I tried DVD-RAM (not DVD-R), but it was really slow; quicker to burn CD's. DVD-R might be a possiblility, but not very widespread yet.

My $.02...

Bob
Old 04-08-2002, 03:10 PM

Kingston hot swaps are still 'our' interchangeable media for today. They are "masters". Backups run the gamut from CD-R files to DDS, AIT; usually Retrospect, sometimes Mezzo. Short files and sessions can fit on a few CD-R's, however the handling of the CD is important - too many times I've seen errors because of improper 'fingerprints, gouges, etc'.
I would propose that everyone invest in firewire "systems". A firewire card and a relatively inexpensive large capacity drive for 'archive', can eliminate some studio problems. The hot swap drive follows the session - the archive drive in a cardboard box, clearly labelled sits on a shelf (perhaps, with many projects).
The problem with 'archive' is that it takes a long time to 'restore' (CPU time). Firewire storage per gigabyte may prove more economical in the long run because of CPU transfer studio time.
I don't see DVDs becoming a portable standard because errors will mount with increased density and handling.
Selling a client 18GB hot swaps should be like selling a client 2" tape.
Media costs have always been part of any session budget going back to lacquer and Protools stuff has to part of the $$.
The difficult part seems to be convincing the money persons that Protools is here to stay, and their masters and archives are hard drives.
Old 04-09-2002, 12:53 AM

Default What removeable media are you using?

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if there is a standard for taking media (Pro Tools sessions, OMF, AIFF etc.) from one place to another i.e. Jaz cartridges/drives, but they are not made anymore (Jaz Drives that is).

What is everyone using?

Will there be a "new" standard soon, maybe DVD? Is there one already?

Thanks.
[email protected]
http://www.boomchic.com
Old 04-09-2002, 09:33 AM

I use external SCSI drives for live projects, then backup to DVD-ROM when I'm done for archiving. Even though its a bit slow (1.5-2hrs for 5gigs) its never done me wrong. Its kind of a pain because it is double-sided, but I guess thats better than loading 6 CD-Rs. It is also in a case, so handling isn't as much an issue as DVD-R or CD-R. I do have the Superdrive now and am experimenting with DVD-Rs. I think I'm going to make a permanent switch. It holds 4.2 Gigs (on one side), backs up twice as fast (45min for 4 Gigs), a quarter of the cost of DVD-ROM disks, and the only handling it will go through is being brought to the archival vault.
Aidas [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2002, 09:35 AM

Replace DVD-RAM wherever I put DVD-ROM in my last post. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2002, 11:57 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by AidasZK:
I do have the Superdrive now and am experimenting with DVD-Rs. I think I'm going to make a permanent switch. It holds 4.2 Gigs (on one side), backs up twice as fast (45min for 4 Gigs), a quarter of the cost of DVD-ROM disks, and the only handling it will go through is being brought to the archival vault.
Aidas [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What software are you using for your DVD-R? OS, Toast, etc? We have a system here that has a DVD-R that nobody can get to work properly. It will burn the disk without appearant problems, but it takes a good 6-8 hours (yes hours) to restore anything. Very useless unless the client gives us lots of notice (which they rarely do here).

After doing the run around with Roxio, Apple, and our nice friends here at Digi, we've given up.

So, please, what's your secret?
Old 04-09-2002, 02:08 PM

I just tested my new LaCie DVD-R/RW (Pioneer A103-soon to be exchanged for the promised A104). 4 Gigs in 26 minutes and verified in 26 minutes. Not too shabby.

I then dragged and dropped a 500 meg folder (from the newly burned DVD) to another drive and it copied it in 3 minutes. I guess the A104 has a 2meg read buffer rather than 512k in the A103. Read/transfers should then be faster.
Old 04-09-2002, 06:15 PM

I just have to tell the world!

I just discovered that you can burn two discs (to two different FIREWIRE burners ) at once with Toast Lite! Just highlight the Toast Ap. icon, go to the file menu, select "duplicate". This will create a copy of the application. Launch one, then the other. Configure one open ap. for one recorder and add the files you want - audio or data. Do the same for the other ap/recorder. Viola'

I just burned a DVD and a 32x CD-R at the same time! COOL! Then I did two of the same audio (extracted to hard disk)CD's at the same time as well.

Many may already know this, but hey it's a new world for me. Ain't technology wonderful? I know, I know... at times maybe not.

NOTE: Check out the Roxio website first for details. I don't need mal-practice complaints from anyone creating toasted coasters!
http://www.roxio.com/en/support/roxi...ort_notes.html
Old 04-09-2002, 07:26 PM

I use DVD-RWs for in-house backup, DVD-Rs for clients that have DVDs on their computers, CD-Rs for clients that don't have DVDs on their computer, a 35GB partition for double-copy backup (and as a quick copy-defrag location) and a 80GB FireWire HD for whenever I need to make transfers from one computer to another. But, most importatnly, everything gets transferred back to 2" or 3348 tape for final storage.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:04 AM

Hey Mario,

What burner are you using (actual drive manufacturer/model)?