Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2001, 07:25 AM

Default Help ....Should i buy a rosetta or the nanosync ?

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me whether i should go for a nanosync to clock my 888/24 with or to go for a rosetta. I have heard great things about the Apogee converters but have also heard a lot of people rave about the nanosync.

Tracking via the 888/24 sounds too thin for my liking and i would like to know which option will "warmen " up the sound......

Your help is much appreciated..

Veto
Old 03-06-2001, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Help ....Should i buy a rosetta or the nanosync ?

I have a Nanosync and it certainly makes a big difference.
Old 03-06-2001, 04:47 PM

Thanks for your info...But is there a big difference between the nanosync and the aardvark ?
Old 03-07-2001, 08:05 AM

If you're using several pieces of digital gear together besides the 888 then you should probably get the Nanosync. The current Mix magazine interviews Frank Filipeti who stresses the importance of having a resolved clock for all digital gear.

If it's just the 888, you might want the Rosetta. I noticed a definite improvement with recorded tracks (as have most other users).
Old 03-07-2001, 11:25 AM

How about if you already have a Rosetta feeding a 888/24 via AES, is there any benefit in getting a nanosync? Is the AES connection superior to the RCA in on the 888/24? My Rosetta makes the 888 24 sound better but it's not quite there and wonder if a dedicated clock would improve things?
Old 03-07-2001, 02:13 PM

<< Should i buy a rosetta or the nanosync ? >>

Depends on whether you want an A/D Converter or a clock source. If you want a clock source get the Nanosyncs if you want an A/D converter get the Rosetta.

Honestly, it really is that simple!

<< Is the AES connection superior to the RCA in on the 888/24? >>

No. BTW, it's not RCA but BNC (75ohm Coax)for word clock on the 888, as it is for virtually all digital equipment with a separate clock input.

Greg
Old 03-08-2001, 01:36 AM

HEI!! you really believe that a deep, clear and smooth, warm and pleasant sound is due to a syncroniser????
... are you nuts????

veto, i tell it as i was your friend: change converter: add a Rosetta. I did it: day and night!
hope it helps.

------------------
somewhere in the planet

[This message has been edited by 666 (edited March 08, 2001).]
Old 03-08-2001, 03:08 AM

666 wrote: "HEI!! you really believe that a deep, clear and smooth, warm and pleasant sound is due to a syncroniser????
... are you nuts???? "

I've gone through this whole thread and I can't see any reference to a "sycroniser". Are you sure you've posted to the correct thread?

If you have replied to the correct thread then I suggest you do a little reading up on clock jitter and how important it is to try and eliminate it from the digital signal chain. Try hooking up a Nanosyncs to an 888/24 and listen for yourself. The difference in sound quality is not subtle, even people who are not in the music business can tell the difference. Adding a decent clock source doesn't make the 888/24 sound quite as good as the AD8K but it sure narrows the gap. Adding a Nanosyncs to the system even improves the sound of an AD8K although the difference is not as noticable as with an 888.

Greg
Old 03-08-2001, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 666:
HEI!! you really believe that a deep, clear and smooth, warm and pleasant sound is due to a syncroniser????
... are you nuts????

veto, i tell it as i was your friend: change converter: add a Rosetta. I did it: day and night!
hope it helps.
I think everyone agress that the Apogee is the better box, but I don't understand why you're so against the idea of improving the 888 by clocking it with a low-jitter clock. I recently added a Nanosync to my 888 and the bottom line is it simply sounds much better than it did using the internal clock.

Did you catch this post from Eric Bazilian the other day?

"I'm a diehard AD8K lover/user, but I must admit that my brief A/B with the 888/Nanosync combo, while not indistinguishable, was most impressive. Perfect world, go for the AD8k. But the 888/Nanosync world certainly does not suck. At least it's a world better than the purely 888 version. Which, by the way, also doesn't suck entirely...we're dealing with greys here, not black and white."

You really should go over to the Digital Domain web site and read the article on jitter. You might just learn something.

http://www.digido.com/

------------------
Larry Bentley
Cellar Dweller Productions
www.cellardweller.com
Mac Pro 2019 16-core, 96GB RAM, OS 10.15.2
Old 03-08-2001, 08:53 AM

the reason apogee converters sound better is because the have a better clock. i have heard that the 888/24 uses the same AD chips as an ad8000, but why then would they sound different....the clock. you will see a vast improvement by either getting a house clock or by clocking off the apogee.