Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2018, 01:29 PM

Default Track freeze is freezing too much

When I freeze a track that only has a few bars of audio, the resulting frozen clip is about four times the length of the original clip. I understand that there could be effects trails that linger for a few seconds, but the frozen track is extending for a full minute beyond the original track.

Is there a reason why the frozen track is so much larger than the original?
Old 05-23-2018, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Track freeze is freezing too much

OK. According to the manual, it appends an entire minute to the end of the clip:
"Freezing Audio and Instrument Tracks

When freezing audio and Instrument tracks, the rendered (“frozen”) audio starts at the beginning of each clip on the track and ends either at each clip end point or after the processed audio of the clip (such as with time-based plug-in processing like re- verb or delay) falls below –144 dBFS for at least 60 seconds. Muted clips are not rendered."
60 seconds? That seems like an unnecessarily long amount of time. I'd love to know if there is a way to shorten that amount.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:14 PM

Default Track freeze is freezing too much

Just put an output fade the length you want. Or use fader (automation)

———////———
WIP house Prod
MAC Pro "Trash can" - Pro Tools HDX + Ultimate 2021.12/Avid C|24/S3/ProTools|Dock. Blackmagic.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:41 PM

Thanks, but it appends 60 seconds AFTER the track is completely silent. I'm not sure how a fade would help.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:42 PM

If you are concerned about the possible noise in the background you can automate the channel mute or volume. Most times I just don't care or simply commit and trim the resulting audio.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:32 PM

I'm not worried about the noise. It's just that each frozen track gets extended with 60 seconds of silence.

I guess it's not really hurting anything, but I wonder if it taking extra time or disk space to hold all of that extra silence.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:38 PM

is there ever going to be a protools that works at least 95% of the time avid has got to get their software on point its not the cheapest and it needs to work sticking with 11HD for a while!
Old 06-16-2020, 10:53 AM

As usual, some of the people in these threads don't bother considering the post before replying. I have the same problem when freezing tracks. Another arcane and stupid programming dysfunction from Avid and their increasingly frustrating-to-use software. Why does it do this? No one knows. Maybe not even Avid. It's a shame, I've been using Pro Tools for over 22 years and with every subsequent revision, more whack-a-mole issues start appearing affecting stability and whereas up and coming DAWs like UA's Luna are being built upon tons of user input and common sense features - sporting the agility to make quick revisions and turns in deference to their user base - here we are in version 2020.5 and Avid keeps sucking worse and worse. As soon as UA gets through a few more revisions of Luna, I have a feeling Avid will be seeing a lot more users jumping ship. I know I will be. "Arbitrary 60 seconds of blank at the end of a frozen region"? F'ing ridiculous. Thanks again, Avid! Oh, and your integration with UA's plugins and hardware leaves a lot to be desired. Guess you all would rather suck on sour grapes than get your act together. Smh.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:24 AM

Back to the original question, it might be worth analyzing what you use Track Freeze for(could there be a better way to work?). My own take on Track Freeze(after using it quite a bit, early on), is that I am not a fan and only use it when I really need to, and I will unfreeze as soon as is possible. I do use Track Commit(especially the Commit up to this plugin option) a lot, which does allow for treating selected clips(for avoiding blank areas). If I plan on revisiting(why you want freeze instead of commit), I'll use the option to make the original track inactive, but not hidden. Just food for thought

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-14-2021, 06:24 AM

I just came across this issue.

freeze files too long... useless silence at the end. Time consuming... Isn't it possible to freeze the edit section ?