Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2018

Old 04-02-2018, 01:50 PM

Default Installation Issues with Pro Tools | First 2018.3

I recently bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, It came with a PT|F 2018 license. After navigating the site and downloading things from the download manager on the site, I tried to install ProTools from the folder I extracted from the .zip file. It threw up the installer, told me that the pace license support, cloud sync manager and application manager all have to be installed before ProTools can install. I thought it was weird because the iLoK license manager was already installed on my machine, but I figured maybe wine was just being a little wonky.

So I got the application manager installed and it opens just fine. I downloaded ProTools and all the plugins from my Creative Pack, updated Application Manager, and went to install ProTools.

It again throws up the "these things need to be installed first (pace, cloud, application manager") so I let it install them. It installs them and then closes and does nothing. I close the application manager again and re-open. Click install Pro Tools again.

"These need to be installed first (same three things.")

I've restarted wine, restarted my computer, moved the unzip folder into the C: drive and tried to do it from there. It consistently reinstalls bonjour, installs the other things, and then just idles.

Is there just a serious issue with it cooperating with Linux and Wine or am I doing something wrong/forgetting to do something/not aware of something I should be doing?

Just in case it doesn't show up somewhere else (it's in my profile but this is my first post so I'm not actually sure what does what and how just yet inasfar as this specific set of forums is concerned:

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
AMD FX 6300 6-core (3.6Ghz)
GeForce GTX 1050/PCIe/SSE2
8GB RAM

Using 64-bit Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (with Ubuntu Studio) running Wine version 3 emulating Windows 10

Focusrite 2i2
Pro Tools | First 2018.3

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-03-2018, 04:55 AM

Default Re: Installation Issues with Pro Tools | First 2018.3

PT isn't supported in a pc UNIX distro even though you're emulating Windows 10. PT wants a real Windows operating system - sorry about that. You may be able to get it to work but you're on your own because I don't know of anyone here running WINE and you won't get any help from Avid either.

Same for iLok.

QAPLA!
Old 04-03-2018, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Installation Issues with Pro Tools | First 2018.3

Yeah, that's a pretty familiar situation; I skipped asking for official assistance, as I assumed the response would be "we do not officially support operating systems beyond OSX and Windows." Ableton is the same way, really, and I can completely respect it as a business model. The LINUX community will either care about it and make a way for it to work, or won't care about it at all. Since I lack the coding skills to do it myself, that's something I'm prepared to live with.

And while LINUX brings with it access to a lot of software that is comparable/superior to some of the products which release commercially for the major OSes, I've found that the learning curve tends to be a little steeper than their commercial counterparts, and as I'm still learning my way through this particular skillset, every bit easier I can make that process the better off I will be further down the road when I'm trying to learn intermediate or advanced stuff.

This just means ProTools will end up on my girlfriend's laptop (since she runs Windows) and I can just use it from there. So far all of the other plugins and software that came with the 2i2 have integrated fairly well with Ubuntu and Wine, so it's just the ProTools and Creative Pack that are causing me an issue, and I have a backup plan in place for those. I just hate letting free software go to waste and I figured I'd ask just in case someone knew something I didn't (other than the low prevalence of *NIX users who seem motivated to use this product, which has no bearing whatsoever on the product itself.)

Thank you for the response, a definitive "probably not gonna find someone here who can help with that" is certainly much better than no response at all.