Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2004, 06:03 AM

Default Connecting Focusrite to Mbox

I bought a Focusrite Voicemaster Pro last week and I’m wondering what would be the best way to connect it to my M-box? Pluging it into one of the preamps works of course, but is there a way around, to override the preamps? Should I connect the jack output of the VM with the insert in of the M-box? I tried this, but I didn’t get any sound. Should I change something in the software? Would I'd get better soundquality if I purchased the optional digital out card for the Focusrite or would the difference be minor? Is it true that you can extend the Mbox this way? Would you get 8 preamps by purchasing a Octopre and connecting it to the digital in of the Mbox? Thank you for your response (this is my first post…)!
Old 02-02-2004, 06:47 AM

Default Re: Connecting Focusrite to Mbox

Use the line inputs of the M-box.
You cannot connect an octapre to the M-box to get 8 inputs as it has no lightpipe ins.You could connect it via the line outs of the octapre, but seems like a waste to me as you could only use 2 of the 8 pres.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:18 AM

Would I'd get better soundquality if I purchased the optional digital out card for the Focusrite or would the difference be minor?

thx
Old 02-03-2004, 09:20 AM

That's a lightpipe out, and you have no lightpipe in. Your best bet would be a 2 channel mic pre with an A/D converter and S/PIDF output, that would get you in to the mBox and bypass the mBox converters.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:03 PM

This is from the Focusrite site 'The Penta, Trak Master, VoiceMaster Pro and TwinTrak Pro feature the same optional high quality A/D converter. The converter is 24-bit and 128x oversampled, handling sample rates of up to 96 kHz, with S/PDIF output and BNC word clock connector. Tracking a vocal direct into your DAW or any other digital recording media has never been easier or more affordable. An ADC lock LED on the front panel shows when Word Clock sync has been established.'

So this means that I can connect it to the The Mbox? Would the quality be much better than connecting it to the line inputs (where I have to trim the gain again!)Would it be worth the extra 200 dollar/200 euro?
Old 02-04-2004, 07:37 AM

Oh, sorry, thought you were talking about the octapre. Yes, any A/D converter with a S/PIDF output can be connected to you mBox, so you could track to PT and bypass both the mic pre and the A/D converter in the mBox. As for the sound quality, I could not tell you, but if there's any way to rent or borrow the box and do your own comparison, that would be best. In the end, the only question is "does it sound better to YOU?"

I owned the VoiceMaster for a while and I think it's the same mic pre, it was a big improvement over the mic pres in the 001, and the compressor was pretty useable.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:47 PM

Thank you RinnyTin for your answer!
I'm not able to borrow or test the A/D card (no shop around here has it in stock), so I'll have to depend on the opinions of the DUC-people!
Anyone out there using the Voicemaster pro and the optional Digital card?

thanx
Old 02-05-2004, 12:46 AM

Sory not that one, but I use the Penta and its great, Vocals sound teriffic and well defined.

One of the Best pieces of gear I have bought.

Just quickly, I have a MIDIMAN audio buddy, cheap as cheap to buy with amazing pres for the price, 2 x phantom power pres, 1/4 or xlr, really worth it for extra pres that require pp.

Aj
Old 02-05-2004, 11:00 PM

Do you use the optional A/D card for the penta? Is it worth purchasing? Does it make a difference in sound?

thank you

Hans