Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 10-12-2019, 10:22 AM

Default Kontakt hanging notes

I'm sure this has been asked before, but the only real reply I found was "yeah, it's annoying but you have to deal with it."

I'm writing orchestral music. Kontakt is terrible for leaving hanging notes whenever I play back a segment and hit stop. The woodwinds are especially guilty. All I can do is hit the note again on the offending instrument or the "!" (all notes off) button within Kontakt. Both of these are huge pains if they are on instruments I'm not currently working on, or if I'm not in Kontakt at the time.

Has anyone been able to solve this issue, or is this something I've got to ask Native Instruments?

(BTW, I have no problems like this using other interfaces like EW Play. Play has its own sets of problems. )
Old 10-13-2019, 01:42 AM

Default Re: Kontakt hanging notes

I have the same problem, but also with reaktor.
Very annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2019, 04:52 AM

There's no real way to solve this and still stay within the NI ecosystem. Absynth also suffers from the same bug. What makes it hard to squash is it's intermittent even within the same session. One thing that will definitely cause hanging notes is unresolved MIDI sustain messages. Stop play before getting a sustain off message and you'll get hung notes for sure.

Now I don't know if Kontakt 6 or Reaktor 6 fixed these issues and Absynth hasn't had an update in a dog's age.

Don't even bother asking tech support at NI - they're supremely incompetent. I asked a question about support in AudioSuite in PT and they didn't even know what that was The NI forums aren't much better either.

There's one reason I haven't gone full-on EW Play with everything - EW's libraries are very pricey and the early stuff has crappy sampling. But I've not had any problems with Play 6 engine/libraries. I'm actually looking at UVI Falcon for sampling duty.

QAPLA!
Old 10-15-2019, 11:01 AM

Gak. Well, can't say that's entirely unexpected. Thanks for confirming anyway!

And yeah, I hear you about EW Play...it's a bit more of a resource hog and not as easy to use, but at least it doesn't hang up. The more recent instruments seem to be more intuitive and versatile than the older ones.