Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 06-28-2015, 10:14 PM

Default Fast and frequent updates since signing up for the support plan

I can say I found out what AVID meant when they said more frequent updates. Since I signed up to 12 and the support plan two months back, I've had three updates to the application manager. So in essence I guess they're not entirely wrong when they said that there would be more frequent updates. They just didn't specify what the updates would be to...
Old 06-28-2015, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Fast and frequent updates since signing up for the support plan

So neither PT 11 or 12 has received any maintenance releases this year?

It was promised that PT 11 would always receive bug fixes for free, whether in support plan or not.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NipL View Post

It was promised that PT 11 would always receive bug fixes for free, whether in support plan or not.
I wouldn't know about 11, since I didn't know about the 12 removing 11 thing when I installed 12. And honestly, I'm not fussed going back to 11 because it wasn't any different than 11.5(12).

So to answer your question, 12 certainly hasn't had any updates since I installed it, and I believe that last update I received for 11 was last year. I am currently looking at options because the fact that the only updates I've been getting are for the application manager and we've heard not a peep about the "coming soon" features does not leave me hopeful for getting anything new between now and the end of the year when my support plan expires, and because I'm a functioning business, I need a system that will guarantee to give me updates and fixes of the life of the product. As it stands now, Pro Tools (native at least) does not seem to be doing this.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NipL View Post

11.3.1 was released in March of this year.

The promise for bug fixes regardless of support plan enrollment was for PT12.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:57 AM

Someone might correct me, but I thought I remembered that free bug fixes for PT11 would continue. No new features, but bug fixes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post

Old 06-29-2015, 02:01 AM

Free bug fixes are supposed to continue for PT11, but since there is no support plan for PT11 I don't think that's what he was referring to.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:54 AM

PT11.3.1 feb 2015 .. PT 11 has been out for a year .. PT12 out for 3 months and an Application Manager Update is the only thing that has come out !!

AVID - please address all this for your customer base ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 06-29-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
PT11.3.1 feb 2015 .. PT 11 has been out for a year .. PT12 out for 3 months and an Application Manager Update is the only thing that has come out !!

AVID - please address all this for your customer base ..
Just to be 100% clear for everyone looking at this thread :

PT11 came out 2 years ago in Summer 2013 I think it was June 21st in the evening here in Sweden

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-29-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post

Which was a steaming turd pile. I had to roll back to 11.2 to get any sort of workable functionality. So my statement stands. The did a point release that was so unstable that it forced some users to roll back with 11, and 12 has had zero updates.

In this time,

Studio One 3 released (and updated)
DP 8 released
Logic Pro X updates
Cubase updates

So it appears AVID are the only ones without any sort of development resources, yet charge the most for their services. It's something I think they need to address, especially since many of us continue to support them, and have bought into the annual support plan with the promise of faster updates...

As a developer of almost 30 years, I will say something is amiss at AVID, and all the application manager updates are not making me feel any better. They're worried more about their application manager than their actual software. I'm sure the big studios are getting support, but us smaller guys who feel the pain of the cost more are being hung out to dry. I am currently running a trial of Cubase 8 and also testing the feasibility of Studio One 3 and Logic Pro X for my studio. As much as I love Pro Tools (I really really do, it's just so easy for my old analogue brain to understand), I am concerned that this lack of updates is a sign of troubled waters for AVID. They didn't even bother to update their version page...

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/faq/en393795

And I mean, that's a small five second menial task.

And whomever does the Wiki Page is wrong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Tools

It states that 12 has cloud collaboration. Is there a version different from the one I have?? Pretty sure my version 12 doesn't have cloud collaboration...

So no one knows what the heck is going on, AVID haven't made an "official" sound, and the crickets from the Pro Tools camp is beginning to become deafening. I agree, I could just use 12 for the foreseeable future, but when you run a business, you need to be able to keep up with the times, and get updates that give you some form of competitive advantage. I've seen a lot of bigger studios starting to look at alternatives, and some even making the shift to things like Nuendo and Logic. So really, AVID's opportunity boat is sailing fast, and people aren't going to wait much longer, and I'm not going to be stuck on "that" software when all the other studios have moved on.

The reality is, for a fraction of the cost, you can get a Nuendo/Logic system that will do just as good as a job as Pro Tools (better for some things). The only problem is the learning curve and all the engineers who would be cut because they'd have basically wasted years in Uni learning Pro Tools which died a horrible, slow, painful death...

I want AVID to prove me wrong, I'd love for Pro Tools 12 to all of a sudden tomorrow get some sort of killer update which addresses some of my issues, but I don't see it happening. As we've heard NOTHING from AVID since it's release, tells me they have nothing new to tell us as in they've made no progress on said advertised features.

Also I'm going to say they can't offer only paid options for collaboration, there has to be a free option. As when 12 was advertised, it was advertised WITH cloud collaboration and there was "*additional costs may apply" type comment. Where I live that's considered deceptive and misleading, and there's a good chance they'd get sued by one of the many big studios here for being misleading about the feature that was understood to be a part of 12, not an "additional service with fees".

It's a sad day, the only updates I get are application manager updates which affect my day-to-day use of Pro Tools in no way whatsoever. Thanks for keeping the eye on the prize AVID...
Old 06-29-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftStudios View Post
So my statement stands.
That's fine, I was responding to NipL about the release of a PT11 update this year.