Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 11-29-2019, 04:05 PM

Default Fullsail Homework Assignments

Hello guys. A fairly simple request. I need help converting midi data to audio on a separate track via the record button. There's something I'm not doing right and I can't figure it out. Here's an attached screenshot of what my instructor is asking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 1.43.31 PM.jpg (53.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-29-2019, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Fullsail Homework Assignments

Hi, Zach. Welcome to the community.

So, your "request" is that we guide you step by step, click by click, to do your homework assignment?

Everything is pretty much there in the assignment. If you don't understand it, it means you lack some basic understanding of how Pro Tools, and Digital Audio Workstations work in general.

I suggest you look up some PT vids on youtube, and explore the PT user guide a bit.

But, OK, here's a start:
You activate the aux track with the xpand (synth) plugin on it.
Then you use the midi track to send its note triggers to xpand plugin and its sound will come out of the aux track it's on. (Select xpand in the midi track's output.)
Next, you set the output of that aux track to a new audio track (you can select "new track..." in the output submenu), record-enable that new audio track, press rec, and press play, and the xpand sound will be recorded on the new audio track.

But I think you should focus on learning the basics; what is MIDI, audio tracks mono/stereo, instrument tracks, aux tracks and bussing (routing audio in mixer). Youtube's a great place for this.

And just so you know, it's not done in a jiffy, this audio/recording/studio thing. A lot of us have been at it a while, and we're still learning.

And, quoting Albee, Dave as he's known; There's no right way to do things, there's a thousand... oh, I forget.

Good luck.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Fullsail Homework Assignments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post

And, quoting Albee, Dave as he's known; There's no right way to do things, there's a thousand... oh, I forget.

Good luck.
The cool thing about digital is; there's 9 ways to do everything. The bad thing about digital is; there's nine ways...........................

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave