Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 02:32 PM

Default d24 + mixfarm + dsp farm - losing I/O on mix farm w/64 voic

So, This setup seems to be working for me. Most of my -7204 problems
have gone away with adding the mix farm, digitest passes, etc.

However, I am having a current problem (And hoping a mix core would fix, but I am not sure)

Whenever I add I/O to the farm card and I am using the 64 voice engine, it disspears. Things
like indentify will not work until I reboot and *not* run the 64 voice engine. and I/o attached
to the farm in 32 voice mode, seems "flakey"

it comes up as d24 + mix 64 voices as the selection.

This week I received a Y cable and tested that I can put 2 i/os on the d24 and one on the dsp farm
and everything is peachy. In fact, I can add the i/o to the mix farm; but things like Identify don't work..consistantly and it disappears entirely with the 64 voice engine.

So, is this a hybrid drawback? or is the mix farm flakey? I really don't have any way to test
that per-say, because either with the actual i/o hooked up to the mix farm or not it dissapears.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Re: d24 + mixfarm + dsp farm - losing I/O on mix farm w/64 voic

Try to provide some more info such as MAC or PC, what MAC or PC your using, what OS, what verson of PT and which I/Os you are using. I remember reading somewhere that if you have a ADAT Bridge and a 888/882 mixture of I/Os, then the ADAT Bridge has to be the first I/O installed (as on the D24), otherwisse wierdness will occur with the second I/O. I am running a Mix Core, Mix farm and two 24-bit ADAT Bridges on an Intel P4 with Intel motherboard on WinXP, PT 6.4.1, no issues. Word has it that a D24/Mix Farm combo is infact equivilent to a single Mix Core. Also make sure that your DSP Farm is compatible with your computer/OS/PT version choice by checking the serial #/Rev. # against the Digidesign Product Compatibility Document Archive . If you are using a P4 with Hypertheading, it should be disabled also. Hope this helps.
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Old 09-20-2007, 07:45 PM

Default Re: d24 + mixfarm + dsp farm - losing I/O on mix farm w/64 voic

I'm running on a PC, 3.4 ghz, 965 chipset, 1 gig of ram.
6.4.1 installed, it did it with 6.4 as well.
DSP farm is compatible, because the first one I got did not work. (was not fg+)
(The older dsp farms will install but will not show up in digitest.)
Hyperthreading is disabled; Most everything else looks in order. Demo projects run; etc.

One thing I do notice; is that I only every get one "mix engie" when running 64 voices, and
no "mix engine" when running 32. I assume I get 2 mix engies when I do not have a D24?
All of the I/O's are 888/16, 2 black digidesign, 2 white avids. (Both do the same thing.)
Can you provide the link to the ADAT weirdness? maybe it is similar; and in fact I have
a bunch of ADAT converters I may add at some point.
I have tried different clocking schemes other that internal; I've swapped all the cables
and the 888's.

I am just concerned with this "mix engine" behavior, although, I am not *100%* positive
the i/o is working right on the mix farm in 32 voice mode. I will re-check. Like I said
I know it lets me *assign* the i/o (whether or not it's hooked up) in 32 channel mode, and it
doesn't "dissapear", but I can't say 100% that it is working when it sticks..

Which again makes me wonder whether or not I have a mix farm that has a problem doing i/o?
(digitest doesn't test the i/o part of the mix farm right)
or that there is a engine problem with i/o when used with a d24. (I am hoping this is it, because
I'd rather not return the farm card, but either way I'd like to know the answer.)

And it is pretty consistant.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:39 PM

Default Re: d24 + mixfarm + dsp farm - losing I/O on mix farm w/64

Ok, this happens consistently, even with just a mix core and a mix farm and a d24.

Repo.

Assign all your I/O under hardware setup, whether in asio control panel or whatever.

You can have just 1 box on the D24 or a Y cable.

As soon as you switch to d24+mix 64 voices, whichever device (888) in my case, dis-appears
from mix card #1 port A. (and you can re-define it, identify it, but then it resets and you loose it.)

A Mix engine is existent on mix card #1 when you switch, but there is NO stereo mixer running on the card after it selects /resets.

I've tried all sorts of slot order, I've tried multiple farm cards, just one farm card.

Is it a hybrid limitation?

Is it a windows hybrid limitation? Do I need it up/downgraded to mix i/o?

Help it's driving me BATTY?