Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-10-2010, 04:35 PM

Default PT9 Import Session Data crash

42 hours of editing on ProTools 9 and thus far, I've only found 1 semi-repeatable, crash inducing bug;
When using the Import Session Data feature, often ProTools will quit before the completion of the "Updating I/O Setup" stage.

Is anyone else seeing this?

P

MacPro
PTHD 9.0.0
Old 11-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Avid

Default Re: PT9 Import Session Data crash

Does the problem occur if you import to a brand new Pro Tools 9 session? Is there a particular track import that causes the crash (import track by track to see if you can narrow down the track that's crashing it.)?

If there is a specific track - what's on the track as far as plug-ins and routing goes?
Old 11-10-2010, 05:20 PM

At first I thought it was a specific track because my workflow has been repetitive and I've been importing the same track from master sessions into slave sessions, but now I see it will happen on different tracks as well.
The crash occurs whether importing to a pre-existing template session or a brand new PT9 empty session.
The crash never occurs if it's the first ISD since I've booted and I can usually get one or two separate ISD's completed. The third or fourth will crash. Please see crash-point of third ISD attempt screen grab here.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:31 PM

Oh, also;
If I try to run PT9 immediately after the crash (without a reboot), I get a kernel panic on my MacPro.

yay :\
Old 11-10-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poly915 View Post
42 hours of editing on ProTools 9 and thus far, I've only found 1 semi-repeatable, crash inducing bug;
When using the Import Session Data feature, often ProTools will quit before the completion of the "Updating I/O Setup" stage.

P

MacPro
PTHD 9.0.0
Yes, i have had this same problem all day today
Old 11-13-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poly915 View Post

P

MacPro
PTHD 9.0.0
I had a similar problem but on PT8. i resolved it by importing the IO setup from the session i was importing the tracks from.

hope that helps
Old 11-14-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Does the problem occur if you import to a brand new Pro Tools 9 session? Is there a particular track import that causes the crash (import track by track to see if you can narrow down the track that's crashing it.)?

If there is a specific track - what's on the track as far as plug-ins and routing goes?
User DUC betas are going to have to bill AVID $249 per instance on this and other issues that arise. I can handle this money for you guys for a handling fee of course.

Sounds to me like for now you can save some time and grief by doing the obvious and you truly want to not disturb your current I/O set up

save (and might be a good time to change the name of the session first), close your session, then open up the desired session to imported from...rename it "title_IMP" or something like that and then quickly eliminate the I/O in one fell swoop from.... say all the tracks quickly by using option click remove on any one track. Close that session and reopen your session and import away with no I/O confusion to your "early release" software. At least you'll accomplish your task until AVID figures it out on their dime. They should have quite a few dimes right now shouldn't they?

If it is still crashing-- then point to the plug-ins i reckon.

Good luck.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:37 PM

At this point, I'll stick to rebooting the whole system previous to using ISD.... It takes just a few seconds longer, but uses less brain cells.

I look forward to the day that this reproducible bug is squashed. (cs1?)
Old 11-15-2010, 12:16 PM

I was wrong and studiojimi is right; you must remove the I/O set up of the session file you are going to ISD from. The reboot will not always work.
BTW- this is much more than inconvenient for those of us who are using ISD across a network.

Back to 8.0.4 for me.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Avid

I've been able to reproduce this and have it logged for a fix.