Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2015, 09:25 PM

Default Artist Control Random Hang During Use

I am having an intermittent problem with my recently purchased Artist Control unit. The Artist Control will be working fine and then randomly just hangs. And, by "hang", I mean even the power-off button doesn't respond. The only way to continue is to unplug the Artist Control, plug power back in, power on the Artist Control with the switch and then restart the Eucon applications. Other than everything freezing on the Artist Control, there are no other indications that the Artist Control is no longer responding. No touch screen flash or any changes.

I have two Artist Mix units and both of those continue to function properly throughout - just the Artist Control hangs. The Artist Mix units were purchased first and the Artist Control was added later. In the three weeks I've had the Artist Control, the random hangs have occurred four times. The last time was during a session bounce.

I'm using Windows 7-64 bit with ProTools 12HD. The Artist Mixes and Artist Control are connected to a dedicated NetGear 5-port gigabit switch which is also connected to a dedicated Ethernet adapter card in the computer. All devices are Static IP and I've verified the addresses. I figure if it were an IP problem or a network problem I'd likely not get it to work at all rather than it working most of the time.

Anyone seen anything like this before? I have the latest firmware in all of the units.

Any ideas or could this be a hardware problem in the Artist Control unit and is it time to submit an Avid ticket (or check with Sweetwater)?

Andy
Old 05-02-2015, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Artist Control Random Hang During Use

I had this problem also. It was down to the the device losing the network connection.

The network connection problem has been ongoing with me and i seem to fix one problem and then get another.

Try resetting your static IP's again and see if that does anything, as it seemed to fix the hanging problem with this at least (thanks to the good people on this forum).

TCT
Old 05-02-2015, 09:07 AM

I've changed the static IP on the Artist Control and we'll see how that goes.

I should have also mentioned that I'm using the crossover cables on the 2 Artist Mix units and the Artist Control. I don't have a crossover for the PC, but could obviously get one.

Since the Artist Mix units never have a problem, I'm still suspect of a generic network problem. The Artist Control, since it is the newest device, was added last but again I don't see how that could cause this type of problem.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post
Since the Artist Mix units never have a problem, I'm still suspect of a generic network problem. The Artist Control, since it is the newest device, was added last but again I don't see how that could cause this type of problem.
Since your mix units are known to work, swap cables between one of the mix units and your control just to see if that's the issue. If the mix stops working and the control works fine, bingo.

But it's strange that the power button doesn't respond, that seems to indicate a larger problem than network config and cabling.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Since your mix units are known to work, swap cables between one of the mix units and your control just to see if that's the issue. If the mix stops working and the control works fine, bingo.

But it's strange that the power button doesn't respond, that seems to indicate a larger problem than network config and cabling.
That's a good path. I swapped the network cables between the second Artist Mix and the Artist Control. While doing so I also confirmed that unplugging the network cables while the Artist units are active results in both the Mix and the Control units hanging, including an inactive power button. So, that's certainly a clue.

Now if I can just figure out why four times in three weeks the network stopped talking to just the Artist Control, then that should lead to a solution.

Thanks again for the suggestion and help.

Andy
Old 05-12-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
That's a good path. I swapped the network cables between the second Artist Mix and the Artist Control. While doing so I also confirmed that unplugging the network cables while the Artist units are active results in both the Mix and the Control units hanging, including an inactive power button. So, that's certainly a clue.

Now if I can just figure out why four times in three weeks the network stopped talking to just the Artist Control, then that should lead to a solution.

Thanks again for the suggestion and help.

Andy
Happened last night again in the middle of a session. The Artist Mix units were fine but the Artist Control hung. On/Off button no longer worked indicating that the network had been disconnected from the Artist Control. Pulled the power plug, re-connected, turned on power, restart Euphonix app and everything was fine.

It looks like it was 10 days between hangs based on when I last appended between hangs. The occurred despite changing the Static IP address, the port on the switch and the passthru Ethernet cable.

Any other troubleshooting ideas before I contact Avid or Sweetwater?

Andy
Old 01-13-2016, 03:45 AM

Hi Andy,

same problem here. using mac and artist mix + control via static ip. mix control hangs 1-2 times a day. i can hold power button for 10 secs and it shuts down. restarting mix control brings connection back. any update on this issue? this is extremely uncomfortable with clients...
Old 01-13-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaioflex View Post
Hi Andy,

same problem here. using mac and artist mix + control via static ip. mix control hangs 1-2 times a day. i can hold power button for 10 secs and it shuts down. restarting mix control brings connection back. any update on this issue? this is extremely uncomfortable with clients...
I submitted a problem ticket and after a couple of weeks of troubleshooting we were all convinced that the problem was an Artist Control hardware problem.

The Artist Control was replaced with a new unit and the problem never reoccurred. I had almost forgotten about it when I saw your append.

The reason for the two weeks of troubleshooting is that the time between hangs was spread over days. One easy troubleshooting step is to make the Artist Control your only control surface for a few days and see if the problem reoccurs. If it does, then that really narrows down the potential causes. But, either way, submit a problem ticket using the help "postcard" code that came with the Artist Control.

Andy
Old 01-14-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I submitted a problem ticket and after a couple of weeks of troubleshooting we were all convinced that the problem was an Artist Control hardware problem.

The Artist Control was replaced with a new unit and the problem never reoccurred. I had almost forgotten about it when I saw your append.

The reason for the two weeks of troubleshooting is that the time between hangs was spread over days. One easy troubleshooting step is to make the Artist Control your only control surface for a few days and see if the problem reoccurs. If it does, then that really narrows down the potential causes. But, either way, submit a problem ticket using the help "postcard" code that came with the Artist Control.

Andy
Hi Andy,

thanks for your quick reply. That´s what I also had in mind - a hardware problem. I purchased the unit in 8/2014. As I know Avid, they will surely not replace my unit for free. How was your experience concerning costs?

Kai.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaioflex View Post
Hi Andy,

thanks for your quick reply. That´s what I also had in mind - a hardware problem. I purchased the unit in 8/2014. As I know Avid, they will surely not replace my unit for free. How was your experience concerning costs?

Kai.
Mine had the problem out of the box, so I was fully covered under warranty. Be careful with what they send you as a replacement. They are permitted to send a refurbished unit but the first unit they sent wasn't even refurbished. But, everything worked out well in the end.

That may have been unusual but worth watching when you get a replacement unit.

Andy