Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 06-18-2019, 05:53 PM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
You would need Ultimate to get what Logic and Cubase offer: no limited voices, surround, and as much i/o as you can pay for from any audio interface manufacturer. Even more i/o than the future HDX6 system can do.

So, no, PT is not even close to being competitively priced.
OK so lets DEDUCT the cost of UVI Falcon that is included in the cost of PT at the new price of $199 or better yet ADD that cost to Cubase and Logic. :)

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove & AxeCap

Win 10 Pro, PT 2019.6 Native, Presonus Studio One 4.5, Dell Precision T5500, Dual Processors (12 Cores), 72GB RAM, 4@500GB SSD, 2@4TB HD, Nvidia 2GB HDMI Card, Vizio 39" TV as Monitor, Presonus AudioBox USB Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, AIR Music & East West Plugins, 9 Guitars...& an AMAZING wife. :)
Old 06-18-2019, 06:04 PM

What words come to mind here? Probably the most galling, humiliating, annoying, irritating, vexing, vexatious, infuriating, maddening, irksome, provoking, exasperating, trying, tiresome, troublesome, bothersome, displeasing, disagreeable thing Avid has ever pulled.

You've just opened the door Avid and customers are walking right out! DUMB!
Studio: 2010 Mac Pro Tower Intel Xeon 12 core 3.33 GHz, 64 GB macOS Sierra PCIe SSD 256GB Boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.4 | HD Native Card | Digi 192 Analog & 192 Digital Blue | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Waves DLI, Impact Server, Horizon, Rode K2. Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 06-18-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWing View Post
OK so lets DEDUCT the cost of UVI Falcon that is included in the cost of PT at the new price of $199 or better yet ADD that cost to Cubase and Logic. :)
You don't want to go down the "bundled" route because both Cubase and Logic offer more.

You've got some real simple thinking. Costing more is costing more... breaking it down to the second doesn't change that.

Quote:
"Sheezz it costs nearly that much for three annual Xbox live subscriptions. Don’t remember myself thinking or whining too much about that"
Did you pay for three annual subscriptions every year for only one year of benefit?
Are people incapable of math here?
Old 06-18-2019, 06:11 PM

they should raise the price to 1 billion dollars and then they only need to sell 1 copy.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:15 PM

The support plans were originally announced way back in 2014 at $199 and $599 respectively for Pro Tools Vanilla and Pro Tools Ultimate. I suspect the Ultimate support plan will be heading back to $599 too at some point in the not-to-distant-future. Possibly after sorting out the 384 voice thing.

littledevilstudios.com.au
Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.6. OSX 10.14.6. HDX. Avid Omni. MacBook Pro 2018. 6 Core i7. 32Gb. 4x mSata SSD Drives + 4x HDD. Blackmagic Intensity PCIe. ATI RX580. Sync HD
Old 06-18-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
I hate to admit it but Avid knows most of there customers will make the adjustment and fall in line. Most will do it! Just think of how much money they are going to make on renewals before July. We all go through this every time they come up with these insane changes and they know this, but they also know they got you. They justify these changes by saying according to our survey this is what most people want but surveys are only accurate base on the amount of people who take it. The only thing that is going to make a difference is if people stop buying in to these changes and come on lets be honest here we know that is not going to happen. We might as well just close down this thread and others like it but of course if you just need to vent then that’s all these threads will do for you. I have made my last update which will last until 11/15/2020 and if things keep going the way they are, this will be my last update. We have to remember who made Pro Tools the industry standard it was. If you really want to send your voice to Avid close your wallet.
Precisely!

Mac Pro 2013 12 Core 64GB ram 1TB SSD
4TB & 500 MB External SSD
Mojave 10.14
Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.5
Apollo Twin Duo MKII
Apollo 8 Quad Black Lion Mod
UAD Octo
Black Lion Micro Clock MKIII XB
Avid S3
Avid Transport
Old 06-18-2019, 06:24 PM

If it gets the job done I'm fine with the pricing. And that's where it goes wrong.

Im on support with John from AVID, and I couldn't be happier about the speed he answers al my mails with

But in the end my eucon functionalities in ProTools 2019.5 under Mojave are broken while they work in Logic

We just found out that dragging audio loops from the PT workspace browser occasionally lowers the output volume of Instruments. I initially thought this was a NI Battery4 specific problem but it turns out it happens with Xpand2! as well.
... That I better can drag audio loops from finder, but finder doesn't make my loops BPM sync and drops them on an elastic audio track while Workspace does

under Mojave tracks don't play back in sync while record armed in Low Latency mode. I have to unarm them to hear my recorded take in sync

LFO tool from Xfer is only in sync on audio tracks and MIDI tracks that are frozen, because of the way Pro Tools handles delay compensation for MIDI.

When I change automation on a frozen track the clip blanks out most of the times and I have to unfreeze and freeze again to have correct frozen audio

Just a few of the workflow breakers I come across and it makes me a little sad, because I love the interface of Pro Tools, from recording, editing to mixing. The bugs just keeps killing my workflow

Logic works totally different and not quite the way I like it but it does all of the above without bugs and it only costed me €249,- one time. That's €150,- less than 1 subscription year of Pro Tools Ultimate, while you have to buy Pro Tools Ultimate first for €2499 (soon €2599).

That price not in a way justifies the quality of software AVID delivers at the moment. Update frequency is super slow, and new releases create more bugs than they fix. 2019.5 on Mojave is definitely not delivering the stability of the 2018 releases under High Sierra. And even if there is some progress at some points, it's not a €399,- a year progress.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWing View Post
So a NEW Avid customer comes in and agrees to the Pro Tools Standard Annual Rental - paid monthly @$29.99 per month x 12 Months = $359.88. DIVIDE that by 365 days in a year and it will cost them $.99 PER DAY to run Pro Tools.

Think about that. Whichever "Plan" you are on, with and without the increase, try doing that and you'll get a very interesting and digestible number IMO.
Your defense of Avid is perplexing.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:50 PM

So here's the thing as they say...

Each and every Avid customer is going to evaluate their own situation and then decide to continue using Pro Tools or move to another platform.

As a "Vanilla Subscriptioner" since day one I'll continue to use it even tho I pay more for a year than a Perpetual customer. And the reason for that is it allows me to budget it as part of my studio expenses on a monthly basis, to NOT have to outlay a much larger amount up front and in the end I get a tax write off for it at the end of the year.

So to each their own and good luck to all!

www.LightWingStudios.com

Win 10 Pro, PT 2019.6 Native, Presonus Studio One 4.5, Dell Precision T5500, Dual Processors (12 Cores), 72GB RAM, 4@500GB SSD, 2@4TB HD, Nvidia 2GB HDMI Card, Vizio 39" TV as Monitor, Presonus AudioBox USB Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, AIR Music & East West Plugins, 9 Guitars...& an AMAZING wife. :)
Old 06-18-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbass View Post
Your defense of Avid is perplexing.
Not a "defense" at all. I just look at the situation differently based upon my needs and how and when I will pay for their products. As my Dad used to say, "It's your money until you give it to them". :)

www.LightWingStudios.com