Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2008, 09:18 AM

Default committing elastic audio in 7.4 is it fixed yet

Just about to start comping and editing a new album. Can anyone confirm/deny whether committing adjusted elastic audio is working properly in pt7.4cs2 ?
Old 01-07-2008, 09:40 AM

Default Re: committing elastic audio in 7.4 is it fixed yet

Quote:
Just about to start comping and editing a new album. Can anyone confirm/deny whether committing adjusted elastic audio is working properly in pt7.4cs2 ?
I haven't had any problems since upgrading to 7.4cs2.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:20 AM

thanks Steve!
Old 01-07-2008, 11:05 AM

I HAVE had problems (artefacts, etc) after committing even since cs2. Best to check everything you're committing carefully.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I HAVE had problems (artefacts, etc) after committing even since cs2. Best to check everything you're committing carefully.
What kind of artifacts are you getting?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
same kind of stuff I'd been getting since 7.4. warbles that weren't there in the real-time version, occasional pops, etc. Not that I've spent a lot of time trouble shooting or testing, but it seems like sometime the x-form actual turns out worse than the regular rendered EA. I'm pretty much just leaving everything in real-time at this point, and using EA judiciously. Hell, sometimes the old chop and nudge technique is still simpler and better!
Old 01-07-2008, 02:30 PM

HI thanks everyone for your replies.

I admit I was pretty wary of committing any audio having had some strange results under 7.4cs1 and have now just finished working on a comp/edit of drums. Happy with the results I decided to duplicate the playlists (for the drum group) and consolidate the audio of the new duplicates. This rendered the elastic audio and seems to be a perfect copy of the underlying unrendered playlist except for two digital spikes that crossed all the tracks. Interestingly enough these spikes occurred in a small section that I had left untouched (for the feel) and could have been at the points where I separated the regions, I didn't have time to really check, but will have a closer look tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
same kind of stuff I'd been getting since 7.4. warbles that weren't there in the real-time version, occasional pops, etc. Not that I've spent a lot of time trouble shooting or testing, but it seems like sometime the x-form actual turns out worse than the regular rendered EA. I'm pretty much just leaving everything in real-time at this point, and using EA judiciously. Hell, sometimes the old chop and nudge technique is still simpler and better!
I've also been having problems in 7.4cs2.

Working on a 12 track drumset
All drums are grouped together
Tempos are around 160
Using Rhythmic RT
In .5-1 minute sections
Track recorded to the PT click

What happens is every once in a while it'll just randomly shift 1 track of the drum group to the wrong beat. Last time it happened it shifted the bottom snare mic one 8th note or so for 2 measures. There was 4 of these "mistakes" in a 30 sec section.

That said the project I'm working on has 2 drummers and I'm not sure how I would have gotten the results I'm getting without EA. Especially in the same amount of time.

EA is awesome...I love using it. I can't wait for future updates to it that make it rock solid.

As a side note I also feel that EA "smears" the phase of grouped drum tracks. Digi came right out and said that EA was a complicated algorithm and that some shift WILL happen which is resonable, but it'd be great if they could research a way to do time shift while maximizing the integrity of the source.

Bobby Peru
Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee, WI

Check out my studio :) http://www.bobbyperurecording.com
Check out my band :)
http://www.newloud.com
Old 01-10-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
What happens is every once in a while it'll just randomly shift 1 track of the drum group to the wrong beat. Last time it happened it shifted the bottom snare mic one 8th note or so for 2 measures. There was 4 of these "mistakes" in a 30 sec section.

I have seen this happen if I load or reload a real time EA session right after working on another. Go into manual tempo mode and change the tempo a little, play PT, then put your tempo back to what it should be. This has always worked for me. Another thing that worked was to render and then revert to real time mode.

Quote:
As a side note I also feel that EA "smears" the phase of grouped drum tracks. Digi came right out and said that EA was a complicated algorithm and that some shift WILL happen which is resonable, but it'd be great if they could research a way to do time shift while maximizing the integrity of the source.

The tightest phase would come from Analysis markers being manually created across the entire group (this now works well with 7.4cs2). Aside from being a slow and laborious process, you would not have as much transient preservation on the tracks late to the marker.

STeve
Old 01-15-2008, 05:08 PM

Here's another one:

My OH's are tracked with a Royer SF-12 stereo mic. During one section of the song, EA is shifting random kick drum hits - about 10-20 total - so far out of phase with the 2nd OH track that the hits flam slightly.

Weird thing is:
The big shifts are ONLY triggered by kick transients. It happened mostly in the verse sections of the track, but not exclusively.

There are other slight shifts which skew the phase, but the shifted kicks were SUPER notice-able.

Man this thing would be soooo G0ddamn ultimate if it was just tweeked slightly more so this stuff didn't happen.

Bobby Peru
Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee, WI

Check out my studio :) http://www.bobbyperurecording.com
Check out my band :)
http://www.newloud.com