Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-29-2012, 06:43 PM

Default can't access partition after macdrive

I have a drive with 3 partitions, the second of which is mac formatted. After installing PT10 then 10.2, I can't access the third partition which is NTFS. The second partition-the mac one- used to be invisible before installing macdrive with PT10. There's still a drive letter assigned to the third partition, but it can't access it and asks if I want to format it!

I had no idea PT was going to install something like this. It shouldn't allow itself to make such drastic changes to your system without some kind of warning.

Is there anything I can do to easily reverse this mess?
Old 05-29-2012, 08:14 PM

Default Re: can't access partition after macdrive

Not the answer you want, but I never would format with different formats on one drive. It just feels like asking for trouble. NTFS and BASIC are the parameters for every drive I use.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Space Cabin Audio

This is a big deal to me as well. See this post.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=323106

Kris
May the music move you
Old 05-30-2012, 04:05 AM

Thanks kris, I did find that thread. I don't know how to repair it in OSX since the partition is not accessible there either. Disk Utility sees it but says it can't repair it.

I CAN mount the drive in a toaster dock on my PC laptop WITHOUT macdrive installed and it sees everything perfectly. This makes me think the drive itself is not altered in any way, just that macdrive doesn't allow any OS to see it. So, do you think that if I uninstall macdrive everything would go back as it was? I probably should do this anyway. I like the concept but the execution seems a little buggy. At the very least there should have been some very big WARNINGS about what could happen.

Worst case scenario is I could transfer everything off that partition using my laptop, install back into my PC DAW, reformat the partition, then transfer it all back.

I should mention that this is drive is used for data. No OS.

*EDIT: actually something must have been changed on the drive itself or it would still be readable at least in OSX, which it's not. I wonder why it's not visible when mounted internally on either windows 7 or snow leapard, but it's perfectly visible mounted externally on windows 7 with no macdrive. Be interesting to see what would happen mounted externally in snow leapard.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclerec View Post
Thanks kris, I did find that thread. I don't know how to repair it in OSX since the partition is not accessible there either. Disk Utility sees it but says it can't repair it.

I CAN mount the drive in a toaster dock on my PC laptop WITHOUT macdrive installed and it sees everything perfectly. This makes me think the drive itself is not altered in any way, just that macdrive doesn't allow any OS to see it. So, do you think that if I uninstall macdrive everything would go back as it was? I probably should do this anyway. I like the concept but the execution seems a little buggy. At the very least there should have been some very big WARNINGS about what could happen.

Worst case scenario is I could transfer everything off that partition using my laptop, install back into my PC DAW, reformat the partition, then transfer it all back.

I should mention that this is drive is used for data. No OS.

*EDIT: actually something must have been changed on the drive itself or it would still be readable at least in OSX, which it's not. I wonder why it's not visible when mounted internally on either windows 7 or snow leapard, but it's perfectly visible mounted externally on windows 7 with no macdrive. Be interesting to see what would happen mounted externally in snow leapard.
Well during install I believe the installer gives you the option to install or not instal the HFS MAC Driver.

Just go to programs in the control panel and uninstall the HFS MAC Driver and see if that resolves the issue.

I recently had to uninstall the HFS MAC Drive. It was causing. Windows Explorer to Crash.