Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 01-13-2011, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Low Latency Monitoring Bug???

On My Sessions, On every one, I have issue with the latency, when recording Vocals or any single instrument. I use PT9 in my Room B just for overdubs. Strange thing is, when I start fresh session, no matter what configuration of tracks I have (Audio, Aux, and I usually don't have master track), there is no latency (beside the latency in the playback engine settings). I usually have stereo track of music and bunch of Vocal tracks, with engaged send to one aux (reverb) track. On the fresh session everything is fine. As I work more on the same session, (overdub more parts) latency becomes more and more obvious. If I only open the playback engine window, change it from 64 to 128, latency is normal again, until I overdub more stuff, when the latency again raises up. Changing the setting again from 128 to 64 fixes it temporary.
It is really annoying, and I already think to downgrade to 8 again, as I can not work like this. Have to upgrade to 9.0.1 to try if that is going to fix it, but I see no changes as of the latency in 9.0.1,

This happens on my iMac, 27" i7, 2.93ghz, on the built in I/O where I use lightpipes out of my z_sys patch, which is getting AES signal from Apogee AD8000SE. The out of the computer goes via Z-Sys patch to the Central Station digital In for monitoring.

I Also tested my Mbox2 in the chain, same exact latency problem happens.

Digi please fix this!
Old 01-14-2011, 08:28 AM

So I figured out a work around for my situation. After 9.0.1 wouldn't even open after the full install I did, I went back to 9.0 and opened up my session that I was working on. I had NO plug-ins on any track, However, I did have a BUSS on 1 track (that wasn't going anywhere). I took that buss off and LLM works. just thought you'd all like to know. Avid, please figure all this out. I've gotta have my ADC!
Old 01-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Avid

We've got this logged for a fix. I also posted in the other thread about this issue.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:25 PM

I'm experiencing all of the same problems people have been describing above. Tweaking the H/W Buffer Size values does not clean up my latency issues.

The easiest fix I have come up with is to do my overdubbing with headphones plugged into Output 1 on the back of my Mbox. You have to turn the volume up on the hardware, but it's working for me until Avid fixes this bugger.

Thanks y'all,

Zapple!
Old 01-21-2011, 02:15 AM

Alright.

I spent some time with this and I think I found a fix.

I'm using an Mbox Pro 3.

Go to the Setup --> Hardware menu and click on "Launch Control Panel."

This launches an app / window where you can dial in levels for "Hardware Inputs" and "Software Returns." Look closely at the tabs in the second level from the top. Mine read "Outputs 1/2, Outputs 3/4, Outputs 5/6, S/PDIF Out L/R, Headphone A, Headphone B." Click on the Headphone A tab.

I ended up raising the faders in the "Hardware Inputs" column for tracks 1 and 2 up to 0 dB, then right below those tracks raising the gain for tracks 1 and 2 on the "Hardware Input FX Sends." I may have also raised the gain for for tracks 1 and 2 on the "Software Return FX Sends" as well...I can't remember where they were when I opened the window.

I'm now able to run my monitors or Headphones A without latency. Cannot get Headphones B to work the same way, but I can work with one headphone mix.

Let me know if this works for anyone else.

G'luck,

Zapple!
Old 01-21-2011, 08:00 AM

Zapple,
I think your fix only applies to the Mbox 3 Pro (and maybe the other newer Avid Mboxes?) Older Mboxes and 002/003 do not have this control panel.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:50 PM

chroma17 and all,

You may be right that this won't work with older Digi hardware, etc. I do not know.

Here is some more info I got directly from Avid. I currently have an open ticket with them about this issue. I have not attempted their suggestions yet b/c things are working for me right now, but wanted to share in case any one else out there in Frustration Land wants to give it a whirl. Keep us posted if you do.

G'luck y'all, Z!

From Avid:

"Does this happen in both headphone outs? There is an emerging issue with the Mbox Pro and Low Latency Monitoring (LLM). We are trying to see if we can reproduce this behavior in house so that we can address it. Can you go to go to Users > “your user name” > Library > Preferences and make a copy of the files called DAE Prefs, DigiSetup.OSX, and Pro Tools prefs. Make an archive o these files and attach them to your reply.

After making these copies Go to Mac HDD/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/ and delete the folder called Databases. Go to Users > “your user name” > Library > Preferences and trash DAE Prefs, DigiSetup.OSX, and Pro Tools prefs. Use the Apple disk utility to repair disk permissions.

To Repair Permissions:
Mac HD > Applications > Utilities > Launch Disk Utility. In the left Column all your mounted Drives/Volumes will be listed. For each drive there will be 2 listings one that will be indented and one that is not. You want to select the Indented one for each drive (it will say something like MAC HD or what ever you named each Volume)
Then Click on the Information Tab. Verify that the drive has been formatted HFS or HFS +
Next, click on the First Aid Tab. Select Repair Permissions. Do this for ALL volumes (Indented listings) that you can.

Try recording with Low Latency Monitoring (LLM) again. If you are still getting no audio confirm that this is happening in both headphone outs."
Old 01-24-2011, 07:36 AM

I'm having this problem as well with PTLE 8.0.4
I'm not sure what the cause is.
In some sessions LLM works fine, and in others it does not.
It also seems to vary for day to day.
Could this b e a bootup problem?
I've read the strings below and tried the work arounds, but to no avail.
Any more on this subject?
Old 01-24-2011, 12:46 PM

Another minor detail that I have noticed (which may or may not be related) is turning on and off the Low Latency Monitoring option sometimes affects my ability to monitor an input channel in my headphone mix.

For example, I can see that a track is getting signal by its meter but I cannot hear it in the headphones. By selecting or unselecting Low Latency Monitoring the sound then gets pushed through to the phones.

Lotsa little bugs in this bed.

Z!
Old 01-24-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapple View Post
Another minor detail that I have noticed (which may or may not be related) is turning on and off the Low Latency Monitoring option sometimes affects my ability to monitor an input channel in my headphone mix.

For example, I can see that a track is getting signal by its meter but I cannot hear it in the headphones. By selecting or unselecting Low Latency Monitoring the sound then gets pushed through to the phones.

Lotsa little bugs in this bed.

Z!
The same happend to me
I7 950
RAM 24Gb corsair 1600 (3 sticks)
9-9-9-24
MAC
MacBookPro i7 2,3 15"
RAM 16gb
PT 11.3
003 Rack
MBox 3 Pro