Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2023, 02:31 AM

Default Re: AIR Instruments - Apple Native Support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
All AIR bundled plugins are AAX Apple silicon native except the ones mentioned by Becharax. AIR doing that was in large part the gate to 2023.3 being a “production” Apple silicon release.
Yes but there’s also the Air Music Tech branded versions of Boom, Xpand etc. https://www.airmusictech.com/ that they sell independently of Avid.

I don’t think these have been updated to AAX Apple Silicon for example
https://www.airmusictech.com/virtual...s/xpand!2.html ,neither have many of their older VIs like Hybrid and Velvet.
Old 06-20-2023, 10:46 AM

I reached out to AIR a couple months ago to ask about Loom AAX-Native updates and they only said that they're planning to update. Nothing about a timeline.

I also find the division of products between Avid and AIR confusing, often emailing the wrong company because at this point I have no idea who oversees what product.
Old 06-20-2023, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Yes but there’s also the Air Music Tech branded versions of Boom, Xpand etc. https://www.airmusictech.com/ that they sell independently of Avid.

I don’t think these have been updated to AAX Apple Silicon for example
https://www.airmusictech.com/virtual...s/xpand!2.html ,neither have many of their older VIs like Hybrid and Velvet.
I do wonder if this all might be logically consistent. e.g. If they do a native port of these products they may have to provide those ports to Avid free of charge.

Air also just seems focused on new things, which is probably the right decision for them. Anybody have opinions on their stage piano or other toys?
Old 06-20-2023, 03:31 PM

Default Re: AIR Instruments - Apple Native Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I do wonder if this all might be logically consistent. e.g. If they do a native port of these products they may have to provide those ports to Avid free of charge.

Air also just seems focused on new things, which is probably the right decision for them. Anybody have opinions on their stage piano or other toys?
You’re probably right Daryl. But… I think the Air Music Tech branded versions of the likes of Boom, Xpand etc. also support AU and VST formats and they haven’t been ported to Apple Silicon. Hence me theorising Avid have the rights to the code for the PT bundled Air instruments. Entirely speculation though.

Yes all their most recent releases seem to be Apple Silicon Native.

Re. opinions… I love Velvet. Not especially authentic but 100% a very versatile and tweekable electric piano that sounds really good. Hybrid 3 is an underrated gem IMHO. It’s a total powerhouse and with Altiverb the only only two plugins I’m really missing having gone 100% Apple Silicon Native… apart from VE Pro of course!
Old 06-20-2023, 03:38 PM

Quote:
apart from VE Pro of course!
Wow, I've completely forgotten about VE/VEPro. They've slowly brought their other plugs/apps up to Native but those do still linger in Rosetta.

Do they even plan on updating? I'd be floored if they didn't, but ya never know with Vienna.
Old 06-20-2023, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Wow, I've completely forgotten about VE/VEPro. They've slowly brought their other plugs/apps up to Native but those do still linger in Rosetta.

Do they even plan on updating? I'd be floored if they didn't, but ya never know with Vienna.
It’s being rewritten from the ground up. The latest release notes mention code rewrites added for future Apple Silicon support and they’ve said big performance gains are anticipated. So it’s definitely on the way, I’m guessing with the next release.

They’ve also said VE Pro will be able to host both Apple silicon VIs AND Intel VIs. I’ll believe it when I see it but that would be very cool for backwards compatibility.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:09 PM

Quote:
It’s being rewritten from the ground up. The latest release notes mention code rewrites added for future Apple Silicon support and they’ve said big performance gains are anticipated. So it’s definitely on the way, I’m guessing with the next release.

They’ve also said VE Pro will be able to host both Apple silicon VIs AND Intel VIs. I’ll believe it when I see it but that would be very cool for backwards compatibility.
I had no idea about any of that. It's great news.