Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-10-2011, 08:28 AM

Default Occasional headphone out problems with Mbox 3 Pro

Hi,

I'm encountering occasional problems with headphone outs on a quite new Mbox 3 Pro. Most of the time both outputs work just fine, but sometimes one of them only puts out static noise. Problem disappears when turning the Mbox off and on again. Problem also seems to randomly affect both headphone outs (but only one at a time), so it seems that headphone amps are ok. Has anyone else encountered similar problems and do you have any idea if this is a hardware or software issue (just wondering if I should return the product and get a new one as long I still can)?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm using the latest drivers, Pro Tools LE 8.0.5 and Macbook Pro 13 (early 2011).

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-10-2011, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Occasional headphone out problems with Mbox 3 Pro

Me too!!!
Old 04-11-2011, 05:56 PM

I have the same problem. But sometimes I have no noise, the outs are dead. When I turn off and on again the Mbox, the problem is solved. Any suggestion?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:45 AM

I was having this issue as well, it was really bizarre. I went in and trashed all the prefs, and i also changed the headphone output routing so that they were not both accessing 'stereo mix 1' and the problem seems to have gone away for the moment, i am not sure which of those actions helped. Still, this software and / or hardware has been super glitchy for me so far. i kind of want to do a fresh reinstall of my OS and PT 9 at some point to see if i can shake the gremlins out.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Avid

We've been able to repro this issue and have it in the queue for a fix.

Thanks for the reports.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:39 PM

I also have this problem - looking forward for a fix...

| iMac 27" 3.2 Ghz Core i3 | 8 GB Ram | Pro Tools Mbox Pro (3) | Lacie d2 Disk Quadra v2.1 1 TB FW | Pro Tools 10.3.3 (always newest update) | MPT2 | OS X 10.8.4 |
Old 04-25-2011, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedfordstop View Post
i kind of want to do a fresh reinstall of my OS and PT 9 at some point to see if i can shake the gremlins out.
I also played around with my output routing, and it hasn't changed anything. I also did a fresh install of OSX last night and still no luck.

I've played around in 4 different sessions today, and the only one to have the headphones working properly was the first session after the install. I have now gone from having the occasional cut out, to having static in everything I listen to through my headphones. This is so frustrating. I've had this thing for only 5 days and approximately 90% of the time I've used it, I've have this issue.

Is it worth waiting for Avid to do something about? I'm really ready to just box it up and take back and go for Saffire Pro 40 or something.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:57 AM

3 days later after submitting an official support case with avid using my special tech support code or whatever, I still have yet to hear back from anyone. Not even an automated response email to let me know how long they will take to get back to me.

Failing hardware + uncommunicative support + my own missed deadlines as a result of all this = unheard of rage and frustration.

Just unbelievable.

(signature rig is out of date, obviously using mbox pro, or tried to use mbox pro rather...)

PT LE 8.0.4 | Barebones Windows 7 x64 | Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4ghz OC'ed to 3.01ghz | ZALMAN CNPS9700 CPU Fan | Asus P5k Deluxe/wifi AP Mobo | 8gb 1066 ddr2 ram | PPC S61EPS 610W 12V power supply | 2x WD 300gb 10,000rpm Velociraptors | MBOX 2 | BCF2000 | MicroKONTROL | Radium 49 | POD X3 | iPAD | Mackie Studio Monitors | and my favorite new addition - Logitech Illuminated Keyboard (the greatest keyboard of all time)

Last edited by NJ Soul; 11-17-2011 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 12-01-2011, 07:07 AM

Avid, this needs to be sorted. Our studio has had two Mbox Pros for almost a year now and we've had nothing but problems. Headphone outputs working only intermittently, random noises, no low latency monitoring, audio buffer underflow errors.

In terms of reliability it's a serious step-back from the Mbox 2's we used to have. Definitely won't be buying Avid hardware when it comes to upgrading unless this kind of issue is sorted.

Very disappointed. This product could have been superb.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:02 PM

I am betting the Tech people are being thwarted by the bean-counters. Betting Avid knows it should have a recall/replacement program but the Execs in Accounting won't her of it.