Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-15-2009, 11:40 PM
Banned

Smile Re: Windows 7(Something to think about?)

Well to sum up a lot in this forum:

1. The new Windows 7 beta has impressed people with it's lack of big problems and improvements from Vista.

2. Yeah, I hope Digi does a beta tester program. Ill be on the list with you.

3. The back up the 2nd point I wish Digi was at their full strength, but it looks like time are hard for everybody.

4. WOOO!!! Im ready to hear whats gonna be on that nice shiney price tag when I go order Windows 7. How about you? lol
Old 01-16-2009, 05:22 AM

Default Re: Windows 7(Something to think about?)

As Shane has said based on his hard work and research if things go as expected Windows 7 will be a Godsend. But Microsoft has a history of showing great things gutted at final hour delivering less than the best they have to offer. Lets hope they’ll deliver this time. We truly need a revolutionary efficient OS.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.12 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-16-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
As Shane has said based on his hard work and research if things go as expected Windows 7 will be a Godsend. But Microsoft has a history of showing great things gutted at final hour delivering less than the best they have to offer. Lets hope they’ll deliver this time. We truly need a revolutionary efficient OS.
+1 on the MS reputation, but if you're running the Beta 7000 it seems incredibly fast to me. Understand that it doesn't come with the mounds of bloatware, and all I've installed is bare bones PT8, but dang it is fast! Fastest OS I'm currently running from the following: W7/XP/Vista/Leopard/Tiger/Panther (LOL). The real eye opener is that I have W7/XP/Vista on a triple boot Gateway PC so moving between the 3 really shows the speed diff. I keep meaning to run a stopwatch on boot times and PT launch, but my PT installs are slighly different on each OS so that wouldn't be too scientific. It's just a seat of the pants feeling.
If MS can keep it striped down like this WOW! It will be simple enough to track during the beta period as they push updates through to end users. Based on their recent update history, they have actually made Vista run faster and better instead of worse so there's hope.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Vista could have been 7 had they not gutted it at the 12 hour to push it out the door. When they pull out the debugging code it will be even faster.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-16-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepad View Post
+1 on the MS reputation, but if you're running the Beta 7000 it seems incredibly fast to me. Understand that it doesn't come with the mounds of bloatware, and all I've installed is bare bones PT8, but dang it is fast! Fastest OS I'm currently running from the following: W7/XP/Vista/Leopard/Tiger/Panther (LOL)...
Where is the few flavors of Linux distros on your multi boot system? That's an insult to all us O.S. sluts.

I can attest that W7 is blazing fast with a small footprint. Linux is still faster but for Microsoft to pull this off and make it compete, that's pretty damn good.

The failure of Vista actually made MS wake up to make W7 better and compete with the other OS's out there. With the bad rep and poor performance of Vista came a stronger push and interest with OSX and Linux in the market. That was a good thing as it gave MS a good swift kick in the privates and they had to do something about it. Lets hope they continue this path.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-16-2009, 01:23 PM

the funny thing is microsoft kept the version number (6.1) as vista so it shows up as Vista Ultimate Build 7000. Not Windows 7. This was done for the few things that pay attention to the version numbers from what i hear. If they think its Vista they work. Obviously not everything works this way, such as the PACE drivers. Kinda sucks but i'm using 64bit anyway so i didnt think anything would work. I wish digi would let me put this 6GB of ram to use on day.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:57 PM

Got the iLok drivers running by the way.

...on both W7 32-bit and 64-bit.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-16-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Got the iLok drivers running by the way.

Shane

Uhm.. Anything that us mortals could do to make it work?

Peace!
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 01-16-2009, 07:22 PM

"Where is the few flavors of Linux distros on your multi boot system? That's an insult to all us O.S. sluts. "

I forgot I do have a distro that boots from a CD... I think I tried it 2 years ago and never again! I get so many sob stories from an UberGeek pal of mine tryin' to do audio on the penguin OS and I keep saying what's the point? God knows you prolly have 2 or 3 distros goin' on!

You are such a brilliant tease about the ilok workin' did you get some inside dope from Pace you dog?

The next big thing and bigger to me is the 003 issue. Come on Shane work that mojo brother!
Old 01-16-2009, 07:29 PM

For W7 32-bit:

Run the iLok installer as far as it will go. It will stop half way because the installer is broken in W7. Reboot. Go to Device Manager, right click on the ilok(s) and install manually from there. The directory path to browse for the driver is C > Program Files > PACE Anti-Piracy > iLok > iLokDrvr > then select the driver and continue the install. Reboot.

For W7 64-bit:

• Install the iLok64-bit driver as far as it will go then reboot the computer.
• Search for iLokdrvr64
• Click on the iLokdrvr64 folder.
• A window will open with the directory path.
• Go to Device Manager.
• Right Click the iLok.
• Update Driver Software.
• Browse my computer for driver software.
• Browse to the directory path above and hit Next and the following steps should be straight forward.
• Reboot.

We've successfully transferred iLok auths onto the iLok and also had Pro Tools recognize iLok based plug-ins in Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit running Pro Tools 8.0. We confirmed this on PC's and Mac via bootcamp.

Shane