Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 11:51 AM

Default Pro Tools Adding .A(x) extensions to region names on import

I'm in the process of sorting through the dailies for a feature film.

Working in Pro Tools 7.2cs2, So channel suffixes are .A1, .A2, .A3, and so on.

When i import this audio into any other session, Pro Tools adds another .A1, .A2, etc. to the region name.

what gives? this is very annoying as it also separates the regions in my region bin.

Anyone found a solution?
Old 05-18-2007, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Adding .A(x) extensions to region names on imp

I have been dealing with this same exact "problem" I wish there were some preference settings for this, if I bring in a file with a specific name I do NOT want Protools modifying the name by adding a .A .1 or anything else.
Please let me know if you have a solution, other than going in and renaming each region and file after import.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:14 AM

Just ran across this myself today...what gives?

BTW, if you rename the file after it is brought into PT, it does indeed fix the name and nest the files properly BUT changes the modification date which if sure to make backups a pain.

Digi ????
Old 05-31-2007, 02:27 PM

I emailed digi, this is what digi responded back with...

Quote:

I do have a workaround you could try though that may speed up the renaming process.

Try the following steps

1. Create session,
2. Import audio to track
3. Highlight all of the audio.
4. Go to your edit drop down menu and choose the consolidate option (this will create new regions that are not part of the main region)
5. Highlight all of the audio regions again
6. In the Region bin drop down menu choose Auto-Rename

You can use this dialog box to rename your regions and number them however you would like. For example if you wanted your regions to be named audio.1 , audio.2, audio.3 etc you would fill in the dialog as follows

Name : audio.
Starting Number: 1
Number of Places: 0
Suffix: leave blank

this will rename all of your regions to what ever format you would like.

Please Note: This will create twice the amount of regions you will actually need. You can use the Select All Used option and Remove or Delete to clean your session up.

Hope this helps

Digidesign Tech Support

Tech support stated that they have gotten a few complaints about this already, hopefully (wishful thinking) if enough of us write them they'll change it sooner rather then later....

Dual 2.0 G5 RevB
2 gigs of ram
DVToolkit 2 PT 7.3
OS 10.4.8
Old 05-31-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Adding .A(x) extensions to region names on import

Use Sibling collector from Maggot software.
Export the file list as text, point sibling collector at the text file and the folder of audio files and let it do it's work.
You will end up with all the sibling channels present in the session and then the channels will appear groups as you desire.

They only appear as a mass of regions if any of the other channels from the original multitrack file are missing from the session.