Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2010, 04:59 PM

Default Work For Hire

I'm just leaving college and want to begin getting paid for my work as a sound supervisor for films.

I have a gig lined up and the producer's a friend who I've negotiated payment with, but I want to develop a contract that will be generally acceptable to most paying clients.

The problem is that "work for hire" contracts (which seem to be common in this industry) don't actually allow for using the film and sound design in your portfolio, nor can I reuse sounds I recorded in my own sound library... legally speaking.

I don't expect an issue from this client, but I'd like to get it cleared up. Any ideas? Experience?

Currently my only solution is to do this first one under a WFH contract and use the payment to hire an IP attorney to draft my long standing contract template for the rest of my clients.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Work For Hire

i replied to you in your other thread