Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 11-20-2006, 11:46 PM

Default Help with MIDI setup!

I'm wet behind the ears with PTLE 7.1 and I need help setting up my Fantom X6 (Keyboard)/Motif ES 9Rack) and my Digi 002 (Rack) and make it all play nice with PTLE 7.1

Current MIDI setup - Fantom (OUT) to Motif (IN) and Motif (OUT) to Digi 002 Rack (IN) and finally Digi 002 Rack (OUT) to Fantom (IN) this is the setup I was giving from the pros (NOT) at Guitar Center.

My goal is to use the Fantom as a stand-alone unit and slave board for the Motif Rack and have Digi 002/PTLE 7.1 recognize them as MIDI? I'm clueless and I need help!

PT Newbie
Old 11-21-2006, 08:56 AM
Avid

Default Re: Help with MIDI setup!

You should actually go Fantom out to MIDI in on the 002, then out from port 1 on the 002 back to the Fantom and out from port 2 to the Motif.

You will then be able to record the output of the Fantom to a MIDI track in Pro Tools and route that back to either the Fantom or the Motif for playback by choosing the proper output port and channel on the MIDI track.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:40 AM

Ok, but how do I play the sounds from the Motif (Rack) on the Fantom keyboard in PTLE 7.1?
Old 11-21-2006, 12:46 PM

• Create an instrument track
  • set the audio input of the instrument track to be the audio inputs where the Motif is plugged in
  • set the MIDI input of the instrument track to be either "All" or the 002r MIDI input (where the Fantom MIDI is plugged in)
  • Set the output of the the instrument track to be the MIDI output that is connected to the Motif

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-29-2006, 11:37 AM

I'm also very new with Pro Tools and MIDI in general really. I just purchased the XPand Plug-In package. This is what I'm trying to or can't do right now...

1. Use my Motif as MIDI controller
2. Hear MIDI playing from a previously recorded Pro Tools session with MIDI tracks. This session was given to be by an artist who recorded a session a different Pro Tools setup.

Right now I simply have the Motif connected to my computer with a USB cable. Do I need Midi cables running to the Project Mix? Forgive me if this is a stupid question.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:05 PM

Quote:
This is what I'm trying to or can't do right now...

1. Use my Motif as MIDI controller
2. Hear MIDI playing from a previously recorded Pro Tools session with MIDI tracks. This session was given to be by an artist who recorded a session a different Pro Tools setup.

Right now I simply have the Motif connected to my computer with a USB cable. Do I need Midi cables running to the Project Mix? Forgive me if this is a stupid question.
If your computer recognizes the Motif as a MIDI interface, and Pro Tools recognizes the Motif as a MIDI interface, then you do not need MIDI cables.

For using the Motif to control:
  • Create an instrument track
  • Insert Xpand on the instrument track
  • select an instrument patch in Xpand
  • set the MIDI input of the instrument track to be either "All" or the Motif interface (if recognized)
  • Set the output of the the instrument track to be Xpand (it should be set by default when inserting the first time)
That's pretty much it.

As for playing back MIDI in the other session using Xpand:
  • for each track/instrument of the imported MIDI, you will need a separate instance of Xpand, so create an aux track for each MIDI track/instrument and insert Xpand
  • select an instrument patch in each version of Xpand that corresponds to the instrument of the MIDI track
  • set the MIDI output of each MIDI track to the desired Xpand instance
  • playback
You should problably try this one track at a time to make sure you are doing it right and getting the desired results, but that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 12-31-2006, 10:36 AM

In my mac's audio midi setup window.. the motif is there.. i haven't setup any connections there because i don't have cables running from the project mix interface to the motif.. i was told that all i need is a usb to the computer from the motif.. the problem seems to be that protools is not recognizing the motif as a midi controller.. it shows in the audio midi setup window utility on my mac but it down't show up any where in pro tools itself.. i also have had reason for a long long time and it doesn't recognize the motif connection so i haven't been able to use reason.. reason won't let me add it manually either.. if anyone knows what to do whether u have a motif or not .. please let me know.. i know that its going to be something really stupid.. or maybe i just need to get midi cables and go through the project mix.. if i can use reason or the xpand plug in i would be extremely happy..