Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2008, 09:04 AM

Default Procontrol/Ethernet Error. Help anyone?

First of all apologies for posting here , rather than the dedicated 'procontrol section', but i thought it more likely that folks would actually notice here.

So, in the middle of a session, up pops the dialog box:

"An error occurred while trying to establish Ethernet communication. Please Check all Ethernet connections"

..& my Procontrol (+3 fader packs) go dead.

Oh Dear.

So, i think i've eliminated the G5's ethernet port from being the problem, as the Computer can still get on the Internet using an ethernet lead. If i take this same ethernet lead & plug it straight into the back of my procontrol main-unit, I get the aforementioned error.

I get the same error if i have no ethernet lead at all plugged into the G5.

I've done the usual software things (trashed the digi prefs/database, run cocktail), still no joy.

Has my procontrol just died? Are there any other software or lead swapping type things to try?

Anyone have any other suggestions?

thanks in advance as ever:)

ru x

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 06-30-2008, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Procontrol/Ethernet Error. Help anyone?

Hi Ru,

Is there a reset on the pro control? there is on the control 24!

You could try re-installing the pro control bundles, i think you would have to run the Pro Tools installer again to install them. or here's an upload of mine, you should be able to just drop these in the controllers folder/pro tools/digidesign/applications...

there's 2 pro control bundle and pro control_m bundle...

The download page link is: http://www.sendspace.com/pro/arrblm

Or else try a complete install of PT. using the safe option will just replace the PT files and not touch any third party stuff or authorizations etc.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Hi Ru,

Is there a reset on the pro control? there is on the control 24!

You could try re-installing the pro control bundles, i think you would have to run the Pro Tools installer again to install them. or here's an upload of mine, you should be able to just drop these in the controllers folder/pro tools/digidesign/applications...

there's 2 pro control bundle and pro control_m bundle...

The download page link is: http://www.sendspace.com/pro/arrblm

Or else try a complete install of PT. using the safe option will just replace the PT files and not touch any third party stuff or authorizations etc.

Chris
Hi Chris ! Thanks for pitching in.

I've done a procontrol reset, & tried your procontrol bundle. Still no joy.

It seems i'm still on OS 10.4.5 & protools 7.2 (no cs) . Is it worth updating both the OS & Protools as far as they will go revision wise? Am downloading a protools updater currently.

It's so odd the way it suddenly stopped working in the middle of a session. Protools doesn't let me select *any* of the separate fader packs, which makes me think its less of a procontrol/fader-pack issue, & more of an ethernet/protools one.

Weird that i can still get on the net though, if my ethernet is down?

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

Old 06-30-2008, 10:28 AM

Hi,

Yes try re-installing PT or try updating to the latest cs version. either way i would run the uninstaller first, its in the pro tools folder in applications. install 7.2 which is a complete installer, then the latest cs update.

If you're going to update the MAC OS, then don't forget to use the combo updater!

Do you know anyone with LE on a laptop or another PT user who you could test the pro control with? would tell you where the problem lies!

Hope you get it fixed!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:42 AM

[/QUOTE]]Hi,

Yes try re-installing PT or try updating to the latest cs version. either way i would run the uninstaller first, its in the pro tools folder in applications. install 7.2 which is a complete installer, then the latest cs update.

If you're going to update the MAC OS, then don't forget to use the combo updater!

[/QUOTE]

..downloading currently !

[/QUOTE]
Do you know anyone with LE on a laptop or another PT user who you could test the pro control with? would tell you where the problem lies!

[/QUOTE]

Ah, yes i do...he's on the latest version of LE 7.4 on a macbook....will that see the procontrol ?

Old 06-30-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
[
Ah, yes i do...he's on the latest version of LE 7.4 on a macbook....will that see the procontrol ?
well c24 and command 8 both work with LE, i think it might only work on PPC and not Intel but not sure!

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 06-30-2008, 12:21 PM

Well. Updating Both OS & PT fixed it !

How very strange though.

That particular combination of 10.4.5, PT 7.2 & Procontrol has been working for me, with minimum fuss for 6 months, probably switched on 16 hours/day, 6 days a week.

How weird that it should suddenly die like that in the middle of a session...then how weird that updating the software fixed it...

Thanks for the help Chris.....right....back to the music !

x

Old 06-30-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Well. Updating Both OS & PT fixed it !

How very strange though.

That particular combination of 10.4.5, PT 7.2 & Procontrol has been working for me, with minimum fuss for 6 months, probably switched on 16 hours/day, 6 days a week.

How weird that it should suddenly die like that in the middle of a session...then how weird that updating the software fixed it...

Thanks for the help Chris.....right....back to the music !

x

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com