Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-15-2009, 06:29 AM

Default The installer could not write the receipt for "plug-in updates"

Hi,
I recently purchased an Academic MBox 2 Mini with Pro Tools LE 8. When I tried to install Pro Tools 8 on to my computer (I'm installing on to my hard drive, not another drive), I received an error message with about 10 minutes left of estimated install time saying "Install failed: The installer could not write the receipt for "plug-in updates."" I noticed a similar thread on this forum, but it didn't have any information that could help me. So far I've done a number of things:

-I've clean uninstalled and reinstalled the program a number of times, making sure to delete the DigiDesign folder in Preferences and Application Support.

-I've run "Repair Permissions" on DiskUtility

-I've tried installing just the application files for Pro Tools 8

-I've run software update

-Installed updated PACE software

I recently installed new RAM on my computer, but I don't think this would be the source of an issue like this, especially because I haven't encountered any problems with it so far. I also noticed that after the failed installation, there is a Digidesign folder in my "Applications" folder. I first thought that maybe the install worked and the receipt files errors were just something I could ignore, but I noticed my computer couldn't communicate with the MBox 2 Mini after the failed install even though "MBox 2" showed up in System Preferences. Additionally, the light on the MBox 2 Mini won't even turn on when plugged into my computer's USB port.

Does anyone know how I can fix this install error? It's been driving me insane! Also, is it normal for the light on the MBox 2 Mini to not turn on unless there has been a proper install? I'm guessing it might be, because the install cuts out with a lot left to go and that would probably include the correct software for the MBox 2 Mini, but I don't want to find out after working through this that I have a defective box.

My system specifications are:
MacBook (Mid-2007 Model), Mac OSX 10.5.6, 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

And my Pro Tools specs are:
MBox 2 Mini Academic with Pro Tools LE 8

Thanks for your help,
Dedelman2005
Old 04-15-2009, 06:35 AM

Default Re: The installer could not write the receipt for "plug-in updates"

Is this an admin user account on the mac, i would try creating a new admin account and see if that helps.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:37 AM

Yes I am running under an admin account, but I will create a new one and see what happens.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:36 AM

It worked! Thanks so much; it's perfect now. That made my day.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:53 AM

If all else fails like in my case, the newly created admin account also didn't work. Try using the built in Root account (System Admin).

To enable the root account go to.....

Finder > Go > Utilities > Directory Utility > Unlock to change setting > Edit >Enable Root User.

Remember to change the logon window to (Name and Password)

Restart and Log into Root.

Also remember to disable the root user when done.

Thank You