Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 01-04-2014, 10:59 AM

Default Re: control 24 psu repair for $40!

I know it's an old thread but...

My C24 PSU just took a dump yesterday (of course at the start of an important TV mix that airs globally at 6:00 AM Monday).

I called Skynet, their price is $50 now. I sent the PSU out 2nd day air which cost me as much as the repair. I hope to get it back quickly. Mixing with the mouse is no fun.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:20 AM

Dear off the wall,

Thare are some models of this PSU and some of them have this damn problem; I continue with this trouble in my Control 24 until and I will appreciate if you can ansk to them for the exact part that need to change for fix this problem. If you have a picture of this PSU before and another after of repair process will very help for my here.

I will appreciate so much your help because I live outside of USA and that cost A LOT OF money.

Thanks anticipated
Opacheco
Old 01-04-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opacheco View Post
Dear off the wall,

Thare are some models of this PSU and some of them have this damn problem; I continue with this trouble in my Control 24 until and I will appreciate if you can ansk to them for the exact part that need to change for fix this problem. If you have a picture of this PSU before and another after of repair process will very help for my here.

I will appreciate so much your help because I live outside of USA and that cost A LOT OF money.

Thanks anticipated
Opacheco
I don't have a picture before, the PSU is already on it's way to Skynet. I'll try to find our what they wind up replacing.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
I don't have a picture before, the PSU is already on it's way to Skynet. I'll try to find our what they wind up replacing.
Ok this will be a great help to me!!...But please send me a picture when you recive the repair PSU, may be I can see something there.

I changed "ALL" the Electrolitics capacitors and one Bridge Rectifier(the bigger square form black bridge rectifier), but the problem continue until!....maybe any IC or DIODE will be the problem.

Thanks again!
Opacheco.

Last edited by opacheco; 01-04-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Dear of the wall,

Please let us to know if your c24 problem was solved?? And please post some pictures of the repaired PSU in order to get an idea what these guys changed in this board!!!

Thanks anticipated,
Opacheco
Old 12-11-2014, 04:09 PM

My first post with avid the topic C24 power supply. c20 is very near a very hot transformer - so cap goes out. The correct repair is mount cap on bottom of board away from transformer. 24/7 use typical is 3-6 months depending on cap quality, Proper repaired bottom of board is on second year, Note: leave enough lead to fold over about 1/8 from board add a silicone glue to insulate . AVID I am looking for tech work I ask did any of your guys catch this. A repair is good, ah finding the problem, then reparing the whole problem is correct. Sorry any of you needed repairs more than once. Next sugested add on is molex plugs to secondary wiring area needs of console, then PS just unplugs for simple repair and leaves away to have a second PS that can swap in minutes, I have a happy client now. Steven Brown looking for military grade cap set [ all caps on board] will list if I find source[s]
Old 12-11-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBSDB View Post
My first post with avid the topic C24 power supply. c20 is very near a very hot transformer - so cap goes out. The correct repair is mount cap on bottom of board away from transformer. 24/7 use typical is 3-6 months depending on cap quality, Proper repaired bottom of board is on second year, Note: leave enough lead to fold over about 1/8 from board add a silicone glue to insulate . AVID I am looking for tech work I ask did any of your guys catch this. A repair is good, ah finding the problem, then reparing the whole problem is correct. Sorry any of you needed repairs more than once. Next sugested add on is molex plugs to secondary wiring area needs of console, then PS just unplugs for simple repair and leaves away to have a second PS that can swap in minutes, I have a happy client now. Steven Brown looking for military grade cap set [ all caps on board] will list if I find source[s]
Dear
You must be talking about of another model than mine!!...My Power Supply board don't have any transformer. Please post a pic of your Power Supplay if you have one. I changed ALL the electrolytic capacitors and the problems was there gain and again. Some advices will be appreciate.

Thanks a lot
Opacheco.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:26 PM

Hi,

For the control 24 capacitor repair...

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=349680

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opacheco View Post
Dear of the wall,

Please let us to know if your c24 problem was solved?? And please post some pictures of the repaired PSU in order to get an idea what these guys changed in this board!!!

Thanks anticipated,
Opacheco
I was in a hurry and they offered to cross ship me a rebuilt one they already had in stock so I have no idea what was changed from the one I had.

I got the exchanged PSU back from them almost a year ago. It's been turned on a few hours almost every day since then with no issues.

Unfortunately, I think Skynet has disappeared. I tried to find them recently for a friend. The phone number I had is no longer working and their website is gone. I guess I'll hit up SDBSDB if I have any issues in the future.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I was in a hurry and they offered to cross ship me a rebuilt one they already had in stock so I have no idea what was changed from the one I had.

I got the exchanged PSU back from them almost a year ago. It's been turned on a few hours almost every day since then with no issues.

Unfortunately, I think Skynet has disappeared. I tried to find them recently for a friend. The phone number I had is no longer working and their website is gone. I guess I'll hit up SDBSDB if I have any issues in the future.

No good luck for me!
Thanks
Opacheco.