Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2016, 04:22 PM

Default Pro Tools wont open from dock - Just dances up and down with no window popup

Pro Tools 11.3.1 OSX 10.9.5

When I click on pro tools in the dock the icon just bounces up and down like its about to load but no windows actually come up. Then I have to force quit pro tools in order to get the app to stop bouncing in the dock.

Usually fixes the problem when I restart my macbook but whats going on? Im worried its the start of a bigger problem ill have to deal with later if I dont figure it out now.

It used to do every now and then but its happening more. Also when I do get into pro tools sometimes when I close the program the windows will all dissapear so it looks like it closes but the app still stays open and goes non responsive. Making me force quit again, then after I do that pro tools wont open a second time so I need to restart my macbook in order for it to open again.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools wont open from dock - Just dances up and down with no window popup

I sometimes get the bouncing Dock icon and no program opening if I try and open PT or any other program before the computer has finished booting up. I'll also get this on the odd occasion with standalone vi's from Arturia but I don't worry about it. Try doing a permissions repair and also check the system drive for integrity using OSX disk utility. Another thing that will cause this is if I noodle around on the keyboard controller (Motif 7) I use for MIDI input while a program is starting.

QAPLA!
Old 07-27-2016, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools wont open from dock - Just dances up and down with no window popup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBK View Post
Pro Tools 11.3.1 OSX 10.9.5

When I click on pro tools in the dock the icon just bounces up and down like its about to load but no windows actually come up. Then I have to force quit pro tools in order to get the app to stop bouncing in the dock.
Make sure you have followed all the steps in preparing your Mac for using Pro Tools. It's in Avids FAQ I think. Bunch of things you have to turn off.

Use the Disk Utility to repair Disk and Permissions.

Delete Preference Files.

Make sure and turn off the Quick Start Dialog Box. When mine is acting buggy it will hang up on the Quick Start Dialog for some reason.