Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 10-23-2017, 11:28 AM

Default Navigating Large VI Template

Hey All,

I have been using a large composing template for a few years now which has around 300 VI tracks loaded. Currently for navigating all those tracks I have been using Memory Locations that will only show a certain kind of instrument. For example, Memory Location #1 will show just my Spitfire violins, #2 will show just Addictive Drums, etc.

I have long wished an elegant solution to navigating all these tracks such and am looking to setup something on my iPad. I have seen this done really well on Cubase and Logic but never with PT. I came across this video of Brian Tyler courtesy of Output - https://youtu.be/dogHOIdjefc?t=192

You will notice he talks about being able to "search" for a track and having it display. I has assumed the most you could do with an iPad app (Lemur, Metagrid, TouchOSC, etc) would be programming the app to use memory locations to show instruments.

Anyone have an idea about what he might be using to achieve this?

And another question. I have also always wished I could use a quick key to show "only the tracks with clips". That way when I could easily view just the tracks I am actively using in the current session. Anyone doing something like this with PT?

Cheers,
Andrew

Macbook Pro Retina / 2.8GHZ / 512GB SSD / PT 2023.9
Old 10-23-2017, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Navigating Large VI Template

I bought an S6 for obviously mixing but end up using it quite a bit during the writing phase. My orchestral template has close to 900 tracks and i can access any of them via the tactile screen.

I also work in Cubase and able to do the same thing via an iPad and Lemur.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudoo View Post
I bought an S6 for obviously mixing but end up using it quite a bit during the writing phase. My orchestral template has close to 900 tracks and i can access any of them via the tactile screen.

I also work in Cubase and able to do the same thing via an iPad and Lemur.
Wow. 900. You have me beat. Lol.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:20 PM

If you look at the comments in the Facebook posting of the video, you'll see that asked as a question. Michael Miller replies that it was a custom app he built for Brian. But he may look into making a commercial version.

https://www.facebook.com/output/vide...8468637852470/
Old 10-26-2017, 01:49 PM

@massivekerry - thanks for the heads up on the Facebook comments. I'm not on FB so didn't see this at all. His comments get right to the heart of what I am trying to do with PT and VI's.

Michael Miller - "It's the layer that connects to Pro Tools and allows Patchboard to be context-sensitive to the current record track and manipulate Pro Tools on-the-fly. Pro Tools doesn't provide any way for other software to get info about all the tracks in a session or be told when a track becomes record-enabled. So I had to reverse engineer some creative ways to reach into Pro Tools and get that info."

This is why I haven't found a commercial product that offers the navigation of virtual instruments within Pro Tools. If this became available to purchase I would jump right on it. I see so many clever tablet setups for controlling virtual instruments but always with Cubase, Logic, Reaper, etc.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:51 PM

Search the track name. New in PT's 12.8.2
Old 10-26-2017, 11:16 PM

Oh yeah! I just downloaded 12.8.2 today. That's a great feature.

Now if they would just enable a Key command (or Eucon command) for "Input Quantize On/Off", so I don't have to keep clicking the checkbox, I'd be good for the moment.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:23 AM

Just bumping this again to see if anyone has some new thoughts or tips on how to achieve this. While the search for track feature might be useful, I still want to figure out how to get better navigation and integration using a tablet and Lemur, TouchOSC, Metagrid, etc

Cheers,
Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-05-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard View Post
Just bumping this again to see if anyone has some new thoughts or tips on how to achieve this. While the search for track feature might be useful, I still want to figure out how to get better navigation and integration using a tablet and Lemur, TouchOSC, Metagrid, etc

Cheers,
Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just finally got around to the “Use a Marker to set a group of tracks’ visibility” but you can’t use a variable like “with clips”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 02-07-2019, 05:01 PM

Have you tried Metagrid. I'm using it with PT and CB for managing big templates and it's great.

Also have a look into Track Preset, you can create your template via track preset instead of the traditional way, ie having your tracks on the arrange window.

I started working this way last year and love it. You can built as big a template as you wish and it won't affect your DAW's performance/stability.

You simply built your session as you compose so no need to set up different visibilities shortcut.

The browser in PT is by far one the best. Search and loading is lightning fast. I'm in a middle of a project that requires quick access to sound libraries and VIs. My template consists of over 9000 tracks, all saved as Track Preset.