Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2016, 08:16 AM

Default Re: PT 12.5 Video Engine

OK Guys think this is resolved

I found this and tried it and worked 1st time, I suspect they are testing the video engine on new machines and don't bother going backwards and checking older machines, which we all have because apple won't build a machine I can buy (but that's another story)

I moved the video engine from 12.4 to 12.6.1 and it works every time on sessions now.

Install 12.6.1, rename the app Pro Tools 12.6.1
Install 12.4, rename the app Pro Tools 12.4

Right Click both apps, show package contents /frameworks/video engine

Replace the video engine in 12.6.1 with the one from 12.4

close everything, start 12.6.1.

Test a session that was s problem before, voila !

Thanks to Jovo Kljajic for the hack !
www.echos.me
Old 12-19-2016, 10:45 PM

I had the rare situation of ADR sessions for two different projects on consecutive days. Running 12.6.1 HDN under Windows 8.1, Blackmagic Studio 4k with latest driver (10.8.3), GPU not enabled, video startup latency at 1, buffers at 64. Both sessions ran without a single video error, and no glitches of any kind. I'd say this is a first for me, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

The only issue is that I prefer to use desktop video on my end, and while the BM feed to the talent monitor was perfect, the desktop video would hang and have to catch up sometimes. I've found this to be a problem with BM drivers after 10.4.2, but the recent drivers work better for overall stability and for the external monitor feeds. Someday, maybe we'll have it all.
Custom i9-12900K, 64GB RAM, W10 Pro, PT Ultimate 2024.03, HD Native, OMNI, Digi 192, UAD-2 Octo; Mac Pro 12-core 3.46, 64GB RAM, Mojave, Logic Pro 10.5.1, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Quad, MOTU 2408 Mk II: MBP mid-2012, 16GB RAM, Mojave, MOTU 8-Pre-ES, Pro Tools 2021.7
Old 01-08-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbarnett View Post
OK Guys think this is resolved

I found this and tried it and worked 1st time, I suspect they are testing the video engine on new machines and don't bother going backwards and checking older machines, which we all have because apple won't build a machine I can buy (but that's another story)

I moved the video engine from 12.4 to 12.6.1 and it works every time on sessions now.

Install 12.6.1, rename the app Pro Tools 12.6.1
Install 12.4, rename the app Pro Tools 12.4

Right Click both apps, show package contents /frameworks/video engine

Replace the video engine in 12.6.1 with the one from 12.4

close everything, start 12.6.1.

Test a session that was s problem before, voila !

Thanks to Jovo Kljajic for the hack !
www.echos.me
Chris - thanks for the suggestion. Seemed to fix the problem on my 12.5.2 rig. I just replaced the Video Engine file in my 12.5.2 app with the 12.4.0 one.

I tried to reply earlier with a download link to the PT 12.4.0 file you need, but I don't think Avid liked that But if you can find it, just drag and replace the existing "AvidVideoEngine" file in ProTools.app/Contents/Frameworks/Video Engine

Best
Old 02-01-2018, 08:01 PM

Phewww I was going crazy over this issue and this helped greatly. Thank you.
Fortunately I haven't updated the PT12.4 on my laptop so I took the avidvideoengine from there and inserted it onto my main tower's PT12.5 app and now no more hanging on waiting for video engine to load and eventual freezes. Big ups to the bug solvers.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRS View Post
Sorry for the long post.

I've installed 12.5. Works fine until I try to load video.

I load a session that has an h.264 video track and a ProRes video track.

"The video engine had an unrecoverable error.

Would you like to reinitialize the Video Engine"

I select "Yes" of course.

Then I get "Pro Tools encountered an error quitting the Video Engine" with an "OK" button. So I select "OK". Then I get the same error, and I click OK.

I get "Waiting for the Video Engine to launch ..." then the session loads.

Then I get:

"The session contains media that is not supported possibly due to a missing CODEC." "OK"

The session finishes loading and the ProRes video track is there but no video, but the video is fine on the h.264 track. I have another exact same session, but it has a dnx version of the video. I load it and it's fine. I go back to the previous session, and the ProRes version is fine.

I made a session that just had ProRes and I get the same errors.

I have found that when I quit ProTools I seem to get this error sequence almost every time, no matter what video format I have in the session. ( I just tried it with the dnx copy and got the same sequence of errors.) The sessions load but no video. I immediately close and re-open the session and everything is fine.

I've tried a few different sessions now. 3 different videos (different clients even). All the same thing. As long as PT is running I can change sessions and it's fine. The first time the Video Engine loads it gets the error and I have to close and re-open the session for the video to work.

I've also tried starting PT with a session that has no video, then loading a video into that session. I get "There was an error with the Video Engine" or something. It has to quit the video engine. It gets an error. Tries again. Sometimes the video loads fine, sometimes not. But if I then load another session with video it's fine.

If I go back to 12.4, everything works fine.

I've re-installed 12.5, trashed prefs. No difference.

Anybody Else?

Vince

Mac OS X 10.9.5, 32 Gigs RAM, BlackMagic DeckLink SDI 4K

In PT ULTIMATE I’m having this exact thing happen.. some videos are the same format so it gives me those errors then the session comes up with those videos gone. If I restart it sometimes works but I’ve gone back to 12.8.3. Strange you have the same issue.. any response that helped??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRS View Post
Sorry for the long post.

I've installed 12.5. Works fine until I try to load video.

I load a session that has an h.264 video track and a ProRes video track.

"The video engine had an unrecoverable error.
Would you like to reinitialize the Video Engine"
I select "Yes" of course.

Then I get "Pro Tools encountered an error quitting the Video Engine" with an "OK" button. So I select "OK". Then I get the same error, and I click OK.

I get "Waiting for the Video Engine to launch ..." then the session loads.

Then I get:
"The session contains media that is not supported possibly due to a missing CODEC." "OK"

The session finishes loading and the ProRes video track is there but no video, but the video is fine on the h.264 track. I have another exact same session, but it has a dnx version of the video. I load it and it's fine. I go back to the previous session, and the ProRes version is fine.

I made a session that just had ProRes and I get the same errors.

I have found that when I quit ProTools I seem to get this error sequence almost every time, no matter what video format I have in the session. ( I just tried it with the dnx copy and got the same sequence of errors.) The sessions load but no video. I immediately close and re-open the session and everything is fine.

I've tried a few different sessions now. 3 different videos (different clients even). All the same thing. As long as PT is running I can change sessions and it's fine. The first time the Video Engine loads it gets the error and I have to close and re-open the session for the video to work.

I've also tried starting PT with a session that has no video, then loading a video into that session. I get "There was an error with the Video Engine" or something. It has to quit the video engine. It gets an error. Tries again. Sometimes the video loads fine, sometimes not. But if I then load another session with video it's fine.

If I go back to 12.4, everything works fine.

I've re-installed 12.5, trashed prefs. No difference.

Anybody Else?

Vince

Mac OS X 10.9.5, 32 Gigs RAM, BlackMagic DeckLink SDI 4K
Hello,

Did you ever solve this issue? This is going to sounds crazy... but I am experiencing the exact same issue... video engine fails, load session, missing codec, close PT and reopen and its fine. The only thing is, I have related this to RAM. It only started doing this when I added more RAM. I have tried multiple brands... approved by apple (Kingston, OWC, Etc.) every time I reach 16 GB with any configuration of RAM... I get these video engine errors. If I remove a couple modules so that I have less than 16GB - PT operates properly other than getting a Physical RAM low error...
Old 05-20-2019, 09:32 PM

I should add... Im on 12.7, Ive also tried 12.6.1
Old 05-24-2019, 09:23 AM

Well I don't have the problem anymore.
This was quite a while ago. I do believe it was solved after I went to the Avid convention and talked to someone there who knew which version of the Blackmagic driver I should be using.

I'm now on 2019.5 and video has been working fine for a couple years.

Vince