Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > RTAS & TDM Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2013, 10:27 AM

Default Re: which pitch correction software is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
I have never taken the time to learn melodyne, though I have wanted to. I started using auto tune in 2001 and have got efficient and extremely comfortable with it and have never looked back. Graphic mode is quite powerful. Since getting into Revoice, it has changed my perspective and how I think about tuning differently. I need to get motivated and jump into melodyne and check it out to.
Did you notice any post-processing alignment problems with any version of Autotune?

Also still curious to hear from people familiar with the Waves, Melodyne, and now ReVoice if there is a quick and dirty mode in any of those like "automatic" in Autotune. I'm checking my post-RTAS options!

Thanks
Old 07-25-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
Did you notice any post-processing alignment problems with any version of Autotune?

Also still curious to hear from people familiar with the Waves, Melodyne, and now ReVoice if there is a quick and dirty mode in any of those like "automatic" in Autotune. I'm checking my post-RTAS options!

Thanks

The problem with a 'push a button and everything is peachy' type of automatic tuning is that it will just be a generic, one-size-fits-all result. And what one person thinks is good, the next will say is awful.

Vocals are like any instrument... they should be unique to the muso. The idea with tuning should be more about polishing than fixing. Bad singers will always be bad singers. There will never be a plug-in to fix that.

I just finished an albums worth of stuff for a mate that had two very good singers alternating between lead and backing vox. Each one of them required a different approach as their technique was different.. One sang with a bent towards going just a skosh flat, but wavering back to pitch... It suits his voice and the songs he writes very well. All I did was to make sure that when he went flat, he didn't go too flat, or sharp... Knocking the rough edges off so to speak. The other voice was a female and prone to a lot of vibrato and gymnastics which usually suited well, but upon retrospection, was decided just a tad too much in places.. With melodyne I'm able to subtly massage the vibrato/pitch/formant/whatever and make things fit together..

Melodyne kicks serious butt. I have Waves tune, Autotune, etc.. but once I got to Melo.. I have never stopped looking. I use it with Serato P-n-T Pro and Revoice Pro to handle anything that comes up. They just work every time and are good.

The best tuned voice is one that doesn't sound like it.. It sounds natural and flawed, but right... somehow just right.

And that, is my $.02.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post

Thanks
No, i have never had any issues or problmss, but that could be workflow differences.

I never try to mix the tuned a the original "untuned" part. This is the only way you would hear a subtle shift. This could also be resolved easily with Revoice pro or vocalign.

Revoice does not have a "Auto" pitch function. Must be done manually though it has some great editing abilities once you get the flow of it. It does have the ability to match pitch though if you had a part that is in tune correctly. Or you could tune 1 track and be able to match the other tracks in both time and or pitch. Very powerful in this area.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 07-26-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Very powerful in this area.

Also in the price area!!! WOW!!

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
$600 puts all ur George washington's in order!!!!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
No doubt there, But if you need to buy or upgrade Vocalign, it would make no sense to spring a few more bucks for this with a multitude of capabilities more than Vocalign. Check out its doubling capabilities....KILLER, havent even talked about that yet

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 07-26-2013, 08:19 AM

With BGV's, you can SORT OF get away with what I call "quick and dirty" Melodyne. Draw a box around the entire part(on the Melodyne screen) and double-click to snap everything to the note grid. And, since its BGV's, you can use the vibrato adjust tool to remove some vibrato and you're done(maybe).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-26-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
With BGV's, you can SORT OF get away with what I call "quick and dirty" Melodyne. Draw a box around the entire part(on the Melodyne screen) and double-click to snap everything to the note grid. And, since its BGV's, you can use the vibrato adjust tool to remove some vibrato and you're done(maybe).
What aspect of mixing do we do that doesn't end with a "eeehh maybe.."

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 07-26-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
You may want to grab the pitch drift and give that a little tug as well.. just a skosh.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:38 PM

For mono tracks Waves Tune... for polyphonic pitch correction (piano, gtr, BGV's) Melodyne Editor... Melodyne can also save the day fixing mistakes on stereo orchestral tracks... esp. if the material is not too complex.