Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-23-2010, 01:45 PM

Default cannot record on my external hd when using a lap top, only on the desktop

Hi there

There is a strange thing going on here with my external hard drive

I record my audio files in a USB (I believe it is 2.0, but, now, I´m not sure) hard drive wich runs on NTFS

Tomorrow I´m going to make a bootleg at a gig and to save time I´ve created all the projects in a desktop. I routed all the projects to the hard drive, while I worked on the desktop and it worked just fine.

Today, I connected the hard drive on the lap top I´m using tomorrow and when I launch pro tools and check the disk allocation root media folder it tells me it´s on C: now, instead of E:. When I try to change it, it simply won´t allow me to and says "Lacie is not an audio recording volume".

I read on a digi hd requirements page that usb 2.0 cannot be used as a connection for recording audio, dunno why. If that´s so, why on my desktop it works fine and when I sawp to the lap top, this bizarre thing happens?
Old 01-23-2010, 04:29 PM

Default Re: cannot record on my external hd when using a lap top, only on the desktop

Dumb luck perhaps ? ( When it comes to your desktop ) As for the laptop , it's b/c of the way the usb hub inside the cpu is structured .( at least that's what I was told but don't know for sure ) Stick to firewire . I don't know if this helps but on my laptop , it won't read my drive unless thr cpu is powered on first . If you start the drive first ( like you should ) I can only look at the files but get the same error when opening pro tools
Old 01-23-2010, 05:07 PM

Default Re: cannot record on my external hd when using a lap top, only on the desktop

Yea, USB is not the way to go for this, something usually winds up going wrong.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-24-2010, 07:01 AM

I run my Seagate external HDD through USB 2.0 and it works as smooth as silk...
Old 01-24-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggoboi18 View Post
I run my Seagate external HDD through USB 2.0 and it works as smooth as silk...
USB externals are not supported, Firewire externals are.
It's really as simple as that.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
USB externals are not supported, Firewire externals are.
It's really as simple as that.
Well my system runs fine...*shrug*
Old 01-25-2010, 04:43 AM

Problem solved

The prblem was I hadn´t swapped to R the drive in the worspace menu

everything wen´t fine and I did record the bootleg. actually, seven bootlegs... I´ll be posting it on mediafire this week

thanks everyone :)
Old 01-25-2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggoboi18 View Post
Well my system runs fine...*shrug*
I doubt you're doing 48-64 track sessions, with all sorts of plug-ins.
I also doubt that it'll continure running fine.
Digi doesn't say not to use USB externals just to have something to say.
USB externals are nearly always problematic, sooner or later.
Firewire=stable, and supported
USB=unstable, and unsupported.
Pretty simple equation.