Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Best Laptops for PTLE

Hey Drew, thanks for the heads up on the Gateway - I just purchased one for myself. Im still waiting for my 002rack - should be here in about a week. Please let me know what tweaks you've performed when you get yours up and running. Im strongly considering the two hard drive approach - one for PTLE, and one for normal use. Im a bit leary of running two seperate OS's on different partitions. Sounds a bit difficult to manage for a non IT guy like myself. Thanks, and keep me posted on your progress.

Mark
Old 01-17-2005, 05:03 PM

Quote:
thanks for your info/help
it looks like i'll be ordering the dell 9200 by the end of the week and using 002rack with bundle
what's the deal with service packs?
do i need 1 or 2 or both?
thanks
t
I ahve read reports about low quality screens on the Dell.

www.markhensley.tv
Old 01-17-2005, 09:57 PM

The Dell 9200 seems like a cool balance because you get a 17 inch wide panel screen with 128 MB on the video card which could be essentially good for games and PTLE - you can upgrade those bad boys to 2gb ram. Although, it would still not beat out the AMD64 with processing power, it has a good multi aspect to it. Reminds me of a powerbook G4.

There is something about how Dell makes things so cheap that makes me want to stay clear of them. I also dislike the fact that the CS is anywhere but the US. I saw that you can customize it and get a 2ghz Pentium M now....crazy indeed.

Anyone give any thought to this throttling issue? Is this just AMD or all processors that drops it when it is on batteries? I am sure Pentium Ms do this too esp. with their battery saving motto. It just makes sense for you to have the power to max out the CPU even if the batteries will last only 30-40 minutes. Once I get this issue resolved, I will open it up and give it a davec test and tweak it. I would figure that since we all use laptops, this would be a bigger issue... If anyone sees this problem, does RMCLOCK fix this - google for it.
DaveC: 32-27
Old 01-18-2005, 02:03 PM

this duc is great!
this is my 1st jump into the pt pool so you will inevitably see my name up here alot

i just ordered the 9200 pentium M755 (2.0ghz) 17" ultrawide xga
and am getting the 002 rack with bundle tomorrow
i'll let you know how it goes.

oh yeah... it comes with service pack2 - is this a problem?
also... i wanted to avoid putting this thing online - will i need to?

t
Old 01-20-2005, 07:41 PM

Quote:
this duc is great!
this is my 1st jump into the pt pool so you will inevitably see my name up here alot

i just ordered the 9200 pentium M755 (2.0ghz) 17" ultrawide xga
and am getting the 002 rack with bundle tomorrow
i'll let you know how it goes.

oh yeah... it comes with service pack2 - is this a problem?
also... i wanted to avoid putting this thing online - will i need to?

t
I'd recommend finding WinXP SP1 install disc and performing a full reformating of the system drive when you get it and install WinXP SP1. You don't want all the garbage that comes with these computers anyways including the mail programs, pop up crap, and anti-virus junk. You can use your current SP2 registration code to install it, so if you have a friend with WinXP SP1 that works too. You shouldn't need to hook up to the internet for anything and you can use another computer for downloading any thing you need.

Let us know how it works.
Allen
Old 01-20-2005, 07:45 PM

Looks like E-Machines has discontinued the 6809-6812 model plans. Leave it to Gateway to mess up our success here. Looks like Gateway is going to continue this line under their name now but is using a different video card.

Allen
Old 01-20-2005, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Looks like E-Machines has discontinued the 6809-6812 model plans. Leave it to Gateway to mess up our success here. Looks like Gateway is going to continue this line under their name now but is using a different video card.

Allen
Yea, they put the 9550 instead of the 9600 - emachines in the new Gateway. From what I hear, it is practically the same with the MB but the clock speed is a tad tad bit slower. Not enough to see a drastic difference, but you might miss a frame every once in a blue moon that a 9600 would have. I wish they would have just upgraded it to 128 so I can play some games, but ohh well...that is what desktops are for:)

For anyone that wants to know, even though I am still reluctant to opening up this gateway laptop for various reasons (BB restocking bs), I've heard that the processor speed accomadates to what you are doing. This is what speedstep supposedley is and you can disable it in the bios to run on max if you want to do any battery recordings. When I do open this up, the first things on my list is the 7200 hitachi and external battery supplies:)

So how did the Dell 9200 go? Do a davec on it?
DaveC: 32-27
Old 01-24-2005, 11:26 PM

just wanted to let you know i just got a dell 8600 with the pentium m 755 (2.0 ghz) 1.5 g ram, 7200 rpm drive. minimal tweaks, right out of the box got 32/14 on the davec test. way quieter than my last laptop, hp with a 2.6 p4 and is not to far behind in performance of my desktop with a 3.2 pent 4. when i get time i'll do some serious tweaking and see what can be squeezed out of it.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 01-25-2005, 02:13 AM

Sorry Allen, I know I asked you before about the proper to way to do the Davec test with D-Verbs, but I can't find the thread where you told me. I am doing the regular one at the current moment but want to know how to do it with the D-Verbs right. I also have to record just one channel for 60 seconds right?

Pentium4 (2.4Ghz)
Windows XP Home Edition (SP2)
80GB HD
1GB Ram
Digi002
Protools 7.0
Mackie HR-824's
Old 01-25-2005, 08:21 AM

Default davec test???

hi guys
i'm expecting my laptop to come in this week and will be doing a 1st install of my new 002rack and was wondering what the "davec test" is and is it something that needs to get done prior to install?

thanks
allen... you're great!
t