Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-1999, 07:03 AM

Default DigitalPerformer with Mix 24

I'm trying to use DP 2.61 with Mix24. I constantly get lockups. I've done the tech support thing.(Trashing Prefs,reloading OS, reloading DAE, and etc.) Is anybodyelse having such problems. I find using FreeMidi and OMS to be a pproblem also.(patches and such) Any light shed on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 12-11-1999, 01:19 PM

Default Re: DigitalPerformer with Mix 24

I haven't given it a real torture test, but I've found that DP 2.6 seems to work reasonably well with PT|24 Mix+ using DAE/DSI 4.3.2. For my test, I was running it under OMS 2.3.6 (for OMS use, I'll admit to not being up on how much of the processing is handled by Opcode vs. MOTU extensions), using an Opcode Studio 5 and 64X interface.

As to how bug-free this system is, I would readily step aside and defer to the opinion of anyone attempting to use this combo on a heavy-duty day-to-day basis. I didn't get any lock-ups while using it, though. I started my Mac sequencing with Performer, but switched to SVP soon after it came out. With SVP's future being questionable, I've been spending more time with DP and Logic.

If you're committed to PT hardware use, and want to stay on the cutting edge of what Digidesign has out (especially considering that Digi's major hardware upgrade programs are limited time offers), relying on DP is going to cause sleepless nights.

If you're content to run MIDI in DP and audio in PT, you're fine. If you, like me, think that running audio and midi in the same application is the only way to fly, be aware that compatibility with DP can take a long time after every major Digi upgrade.

I waited until the last minute to take advantage of Digi's PT III PCI to d24 card upgrade program. After I got my d24 cards, it took over a year before DP became compatible with 24 bit PT. When you think of how fast this hardware becomes obsolete, that's a long time to wait.

The current tooth-and-nail competition between Digi and MOTU does not bode well for the future. I'm sure that milking the most out of Altivec for MAS plug-ins is on MOTU's front burner right now. Then again, I've been hung out to dry many times by software companies, and I've sunk to the depths of despair. I'm a bah-humbug pessimist at heart (and it's a black heart).

For the moment, DP 2.6 seems to work with Mix+ and 4.3.2, though. Maybe that's something to be happy about. :| :| (It takes a lot of effort to crack a smile these days.)

Getting back to your particular situation, there are a number of things I'd do if I were you.

First, keep in mind that if you're using DP, DAE and OMS, you've got an enormous pile of crap in your system folder. You might simply have an extension conflict, or some antique version of something or other that's screwing everything up. You might be missing a piece of something or have multiple versions of some key piece.

If I were you, I'd do a clean installation of your Mac OS, and then for testing purposes, only install what you absolutely need. Sure, you could spend many, many hours checking extensions, turning them on and off, and re-booting. Starting with a fresh slate, IMO, is much more satisfying (and usually more effective).

What OS are you using, BTW? This may or may not affect you, but I had problems with OS 8.6 with my 9600/350 and Bit 13. I downgraded to 8.5.1, and Logic 4.0.6, SVP 4.5.1., DP 2.6 and OMS 2.3.6 are all happy.

You're not using QT 4, are you? There might be some issues if you are. Downgrade to the last version of QT 3.x (can't remember the number off the top of my head, and I'm not on my daw computer right now).

If you don't require something in DP 2.61, you might want to try DP 2.6. MTS implementation is one of the big additions in 2.6, and if your current interface isn't MTS ready, it won't make much difference.

After you do your clean installation, load in the PT 4.3.2 DAE stuff off the CD ROM. Are you using a USB interface? If not, you might want to go with the last pre-USB release of OMS, which is 2.3.6. There a lot of extra USB stuff in OMS 2.3.8, and if you don't need it, might as well not clutter up your system folder. If you want to run DP under OMS (and it seems to work fine for me), you still need the version of FreeMidi that ships with 2.6.

I haven't heard any reports of how DP works with the PT 5.0's DAE.

So, do the clean OS installation (not a simple reload, as you've done in the past), install 4.3.2, install OMS 2.3.6 (if you're not using a USB interface) and then install DP 2.6. Make sure to attend to all the many little details (e.g. things like disabling the serial DMA option in OMS, etc., etc., etc.). Make sure everything has plenty of RAM to work with.

If you're lucky, it might work fine. If it doesn't, repeat the process with different versions (document what you've done, so that you don't waste time trying the same thing twice).

As a closing note, after years of struggling with the old OMS emulation in FreeMidi, it's depressingly ironic that after MOTU finally makes DP completely compliant with OMS (doing a wonderful job of it, I might add), Henry of Gibson infamy comes along and scuttles OMS.

All I can say is, if you do manage to get all your software and hardware working the way it should, get some work done quickly before the next round of incompatibilities comes and knocks you down again. ;-)

Lee Blaske

Old 12-11-1999, 01:24 PM

snake wrote:

>I don't know what kind of CPU you're using, I'm assuming you have serial ports. If that's the case and they lock-up while
>trying to do this, hold down
> cmmd-Opt and open the Chooser. This will reset the ports.

I'd never heard of that one. Thanks for a great tip, snake. If it works, it'll come in really handy for me when I'm bouncing back and forth between multiple OMS applications like SVP and Finale.

Lee Blaske
Old 12-12-1999, 12:00 AM

When trying to sync DP with PT in the past, I've always junked OMS and used FreeMidi in OMS emulation mode.

I heard the new version of DP supports OMS. If that's true you could just run OMS, unless you have MOTU boxes that require FreeMidi.

You can also have both of them running, just make sure they are not trying to control the same ports.

I don't know what kind of CPU you're using, I'm assuming you have serial ports. If that's the case and they lock-up while trying to do this, hold down cmmd-Opt and open the Chooser. This will reset the ports.