Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 08-05-2018, 08:11 PM

Default Is there a point to HD Native any more?

Other than the ability to get more than 32 inputs into Protools at the same, time; is there a point to the HD Native system now that Avid sells the HD (Ultimate) software separate from any hardware requirement?

The HD/Ultimate software does everything that the HD Native hardware used to allow, other than the expanded input capability, right? Is there anything else that is unique to the HD Native cards?

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 08-05-2018, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Is there a point to HD Native any more?

I think for the cues? Isn't HD native have the same setup for headphones cues as hdx?

I've always been HDaccell and now Hdx so don't really know.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:34 PM

Is there any benefit to the overall stability by using an HD Native card over just the native software? either for recording or playback? Does it put less strain on the system than the native only software?

I want going to upgrade to the Ultimate software soon. trying to figure out if I need to get the HD native card or not. Most of my work is live classical music or small bands. I could get by for most of my jobs with the 32 inputs, probably.

Just wondering what the HD Native interface gets you that the Ultimate software by itself doesn't.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Old 08-05-2018, 08:47 PM

It does no DSP processing. Everything is done on the host computer. You would need Native card if you have some 192s or Avid interfaces you needed to plug in. I went from HD5 (TDM) to Native and was FLOORED at how much more freedom you are allotted. No more worrying about voice counts and such. I have a beefy enough machine to handle tracking for the most part unless sessions get into the hundreds of tracks.

I recently switched to HDX and it has not been pleasant. Too many bugs in the system for me at moment. Part of that is buggy PT software. 12.5 was mega stable for me in Native. Not so much in HDX land with 2018.x.

So for you, if you don't have Avid interfaces, HD Native Card I think is useless. There is something called Low Latency Monitoring. Which I've never used in nearly 20 years of using Pro Tools HD. YMMV.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:27 PM

It's not just the Avid interfaces.

Focusrite, Antelope, Appogee, Lynx, and Waves all make interfaces with DigiLink ports to connect to the HD Native or DX cards. Which allows you to get more than 32 inputs into your system.

I'm thinking about upgrading to the Focusrite Red 4Pre (assuming they come out with Windows drivers sometime soon).

Old 08-06-2018, 12:25 AM

Expanded inputs and sample accuracy... apparently. I've never tried it with HD native, but TDM provided some really tight parallel processing happening with external hardware as inserts. Without Avid hardware, you are left to the rather lacklustre ten of a millisecond latency adjustments of the I/O offset window.

It would be real nice if they introduced an outboard hardware 'ping' feature like cubase, reaper, etc use.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:14 AM

Brian, Could I use my (silver and blue face) 192 interfaces with HD Native Cards? What advantages would I have from making the change? I currently have 2x Digidesign 192 Analog IO's (each fitted with 16 Analog Inputs) 1x HD Core Card + 2x HD Accell Cards. I am running PTHD10.3 on a Apple MacPro Eight Core tower. Thanks.

-
PT 10.3.10 HD TDM
HD3 Accel
Mac Pro OSX 10.8.5
Old 08-06-2018, 10:54 AM

Just a data point here: you can't use a SYNC HD without the HD Native hardware. But if you don't need SYNC, then don't worry about it...
Old 08-06-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Rayder View Post
Brian, Could I use my (silver and blue face) 192 interfaces with HD Native Cards? What advantages would I have from making the change? I currently have 2x Digidesign 192 Analog IO's (each fitted with 16 Analog Inputs) 1x HD Core Card + 2x HD Accell Cards. I am running PTHD10.3 on a Apple MacPro Eight Core tower. Thanks.
192's still work fine with the HDN card(I have 2 192's and 2x HD IO boxes and all work dandy). This includes Pro Tools 2018.7. Why I stay with my HDN rig:
1-I can go to 64 IO(running 40 now with 8 hardware insert paths)

2-I can do 6 stereo headphone mixes within a session(some 3rd party hardware/software tops out at 4 mixes, like UA Apollo)

If 32 IO and 4 HP mixes is enough, then HDN is probably not a great investment for you( but I would lean toward a Thunderbolt solution over either USB or firewire)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-06-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Rayder View Post

It depends what kind of upgrade you are considering. There probably isn't a huge improvement to be made by moving to a HD Native card with Pro Tools HD10 or earlier. Pro Tools as a 64 bit application (PT11+) is really where the power of native systems was unleashed.

If you are considering a whole system upgrade (HD native and Ultimate 2018 for example), it would be pretty impressive in comparison... but you may also need to upgrade your computer at the same time.

How's that for a swings and roundabouts response?
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.