Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2018, 12:00 PM

Default Re: What do you like for slap back delay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I loved it so much to save track preset with it. Longer STEED tempos can get into Pink Floyd's grounds.
I don’t do classic much, not unless I’m deliberately trying to make something sound like it’s from a certain period. I have no interest in wanting to sound like the Beatles or Stones or Pink Floyd, as great as they all were.

I like to learn from the past, but I don’t like to live there. Im a very forward looking person. Even though I have tastes in some classic styles like jazz, funk, soul, old school R&B, I’m more interested in evolving those sounds into something more contemporary.

People argue that a lot of today’s pop is just regurgitation, but so are the older styles if you approach them from a classic stand point. To keep things fresh you have to try new things, not just resort to doing everything the same way.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post
I don’t do classic much, not unless I’m deliberately trying to make something sound like it’s from a certain period. I have no interest in wanting to sound like the Beatles or Stones or Pink Floyd, as great as they all were.

I like to learn from the past, but I don’t like to live there. Im a very forward looking person. Even though I have tastes in some classic styles like jazz, funk, soul, old school R&B, I’m more interested in evolving those sounds into something more contemporary.

People argue that a lot of today’s pop is just regurgitation, but so are the older styles if you approach them from a classic stand point. To keep things fresh you have to try new things, not just resort to doing everything the same way.
Eh? What did I say?

Most work I get paid for is as a recording guitar and bass player, I can always experiment with my own music but clients always reference to timeless records when discussing what they want. Also, it's imposible to encase artistic creativity, even in my own stuff I like to use recycled sounds as a mean to influence the mood of the listener and play with their auditory memory, that doesn't make me less original than you.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Eh? What did I say?

Most work I get paid for is as a recording guitar and bass player, I can always experiment with my own music but clients always reference to timeless records when discussing what they want. Also, it's imposible to encase artistic creativity, even in my own stuff I like to use recycled sounds as a mean to influence the mood of the listener and play with their auditory memory, that doesn't make me less original than you.
No not at all. I was just talking from a personal standpoint. It’s good that others do their own thing. I like to illicit certain emotions too, I just happen to like to try learning from the past, but trying something new. It’s just a personal approach for me.

I’m just not a fan of being stuck in the 70s or 80s or whenever, it’s 2018, I like to try and be in the present. By that I don’t mean some hip-hop, EDM thing, I just mean using these tools to try and build something new. Create a new legacy rather than just reiterating on an old one. I’m not one for skinning a cat the same way every time when there are 100 other ways to try. For me STEED is something I haven’t tried yet, it’s an old technique, but I’d like to see if I can create something new with it. I could even try an other reverb, a delay and a feedback loop to extend on this idea.

Of course the downside to this is it can be more time consuming. If you don’t have that much time on your hand you often end up sticking to what you already know to get the job done more quickly.

Certainly no shame in doing things other ways.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post
No not at all. I was just talking from a personal standpoint. It’s good that others do their own thing. I like to illicit certain emotions too, I just happen to like to try learning from the past, but trying something new. It’s just a personal approach for me.

I’m just not a fan of being stuck in the 70s or 80s or whenever, it’s 2018, I like to try and be in the present. By that I don’t mean some hip-hop, EDM thing, I just mean using these tools to try and build something new. Create a new legacy rather than just reiterating on an old one. I’m not one for skinning a cat the same way every time when there are 100 other ways to try. For me STEED is something I haven’t tried yet, it’s an old technique, but I’d like to see if I can create something new with it. I could even try an other reverb, a delay and a feedback loop to extend on this idea.

Of course the downside to this is it can be more time consuming. If you don’t have that much time on your hand you often end up sticking to what you already know to get the job done more quickly.

Certainly no shame in doing things other ways.
No problem. For me spending extra time knowing every new plugin I get allows me to save time later, STEED is just a J37 tape delay before the chamber (which I suppose is a based on impulses or a hybrid technique like IR1).

Would love to hear some of your music.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
No problem. For me spending extra time knowing every new plugin I get allows me to save time later, STEED is just a J37 tape delay before the chamber (which I suppose is a based on impulses or a hybrid technique like IR1).

Would love to hear some of your music.
Well yeah, I imagine STEED is just a convenience, but I’m quite positive the reverb isn’t your typical convolution reverb. The CPU footprint is too intense. It’s much, much more likely it’s based on their FIR technology found in H-Reverb. It makes sense they would use that tech for more than one reverb after the amount of time and money that went into it.

Take H-Reverb, throw in J37 and and an EMI-TG then you get a CPU load similar to Abbey Road Chambers. It just makes sense.