Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-01-2009, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 (64bit)

Well...
64-bit...
It depends.
First, you have a 64-bit OS that *permits* some flexabilities that *we* could really use. Would coding PT (the app itself) from 32-bit to 64-bit provide a boost in some manner? Within the larger/full picture.. yes, if done "properly."

So much is interdependent. We have OS's that are not properly utilizing multi-core/multi-cpu systems for non-server duties. The hardware was not initially intended for it, and thus we are now amidst a game of "catch up and sync." (pun intended btw ). Add in 3rd party products.. with no manner of proper verification that said developments are capable of not causing issues (directly and/or indirectly).. and 64-bit simply adds yet more paths in the journey of troubleshooting a journey of, "I would like my app to do.. THIS" to "Wow! This combination of hardware and software operates as I desire, expect, and *should*."

First, we need 64-bit hardware drivers to allow the hardware to operate with the 64-bit OS. Cubase offers 32- and 64- bit versions, and running the 32-bit version with a 64-bit Windows OS can be.. gratifying Add in J-Bridge and other bits of usefulness, and the benefits of the memory allowances of 64-bit become... nirvana. Some run 64-bit C5 with J-Bridge for using their 32-bit plugs, and/or other apps for various reasons, and one can come close to running pretty powerful full orchestral mock-ups.. on a SINGLE 64-bit OS run system.

Everything has pros and cons. None of those matter without choice tho. My choice will be to have W7x64 as my primary audio DAWquencer composing, recording and mixing platform. I will be choosing what to use within that environment very carefully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:10 PM

Hi you can now use vista home premium 32 bits and have more than 3 Gb Ram , i am using : Home Premium 32 bits, 8 gm ram , mother board intel, y digi 003, and pro tools runing very good.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:15 PM

Yes you can INSTALL more than 3 gigs, but does the OS, or the program for that matter, actually RECOGNIZE it? Hence the request for TRUE 64-bit support.....
Old 09-14-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Yes you can INSTALL more than 3 gigs, but does the OS, or the program for that matter, actually RECOGNIZE it? Hence the request for TRUE 64-bit support.....
Right.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 09-16-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
My personal prediction for a true PT 64 bit version is 5-7 years from now.

Shane
I'd say that's about right. But, with the exponential increase in processing power from 64 bit, HD / farm cards will quite literally be unnecessary for even the gnarliest Hanz Zimmer session... and then how could Digidesign justify the price of an HD system?
Old 09-16-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkbross View Post
I'd say that's about right. But, with the exponential increase in processing power from 64 bit, HD / farm cards will quite literally be unnecessary for even the gnarliest Hanz Zimmer session... and then how could Digidesign justify the price of an HD system?
How can they justify it right now is my question.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-16-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan
My personal prediction for a true PT 64 bit version is 5-7 years from now.
IF,,,,,,, Digi,, doesn't have a 64 bit power house by this year end,,, or ,, at latest, early next year, (Jan, Feb.), then they just might maybe, and probably, need to GET OFF THE BUS!!! There are so many 64 bit products out there all ready, and more joining the croud every week or so. It'd just be my luck (and for a lot of us, I'm sure),,,, the last 2 companies to get their act together will be,, Digi,, and Waves plugs!!!!! Yikes!!!
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |
Old 09-16-2009, 02:21 AM

Only about six weeks ago I was partly instrumental in convincing a few of the unhappy studios locally to stay with PT until January, The upheaval to another DAW will be a very disruptive undertaking and I'm not looking forward to it.

If Avid doesn't present some things that have been asked for over the years, I question whether or not the loyalty will continue. This is not a question of the HD prisoners running off in droves. For the most part they have already invested heavily in mostly working systems. But who these days is going to buy a new HD7 just to almost keep up with Logic or Reaper or even Native PT. The 5-7 year prediction by my friend Shane (IMHO) could render this company "gone" unless the new kiddy PT can support it all. I done think even the corporate bean counters are assuming that it will.

I believe we will see something by years end, or we will really see something by years end. But i have to admit, when it comes to this company I've been wrong more than right when trying to support them.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 09-16-2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
( el snippo ) But i have to admit, when it comes to this company I've been wrong more than right when trying to support them.

That's OK Tom.. We still support YOU!
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 09-16-2009, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
That's OK Tom.. We still support YOU!
+1

And added to that, I sure hope yer right this time around..

[Keybeeetsss]
Every time I see ur name "Gvees", I don't know why but I always start singin, "I-I-I-I-Stayin Alive, Stayin Alive: I-I-I-I-Stayin Aliiiiiveeeeee-Iiiiveeee-Iiiivvveeee-Iiivveeeee"