Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2016, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Right-angle Lightning cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedd View Post
To get back to the discussion, here some pictures of my "few hours ago arrived Dock with iPad Air 2", with mini-riser and Belkin mixit angled cable. Not bad at all for now, still need to use it for some time to give it real life experience.
1. global picture
2. iPad in the middle
3. iPad moved to the most left position to gain more space for the two top left knobs.

Cheers, Nenad
That's doesn't look bad to me. What's all the fuss about?
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 06-01-2016, 09:36 AM

It is ugly. Thats why. And without the riser it is impossible to fit an angled connector. But some straight ones work.

The riser increases the angle, which can be good or bad, depending on your personal preference.

Phone +46707773443
Old 06-01-2016, 01:33 PM

Notwithstanding Kyle's (appreciated) comments, we've yet to see a picture where this does look anything other than 'not ideal' - if this thread was about users trying to jury rig their new iPad (e.g. following a form factor change by Apple) into an old Dock product for which it wasn't designed (or vice versa), this is the type of discussion/pictures one would expect to see here.

But for a brand new product/design with an iPad that hasn't changed since well before the Dock was announced, let's face it - it's not great. How did the prototype get signed off - maybe without a cable connected?! Maybe the communications/user guide are wrong or could be improved and the issue is actually widespread 'user error'?

Kyle - it would be useful to see a picture from Avid to show what is considered correct/acceptable, I suggest.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post
Notwithstanding Kyle's (appreciated) comments, we've yet to see a picture where this does look anything other than 'not ideal' - if this thread was about users trying to jury rig their new iPad (e.g. following a form factor change by Apple) into an old Dock product for which it wasn't designed (or vice versa), this is the type of discussion/pictures one would expect to see here.

But for a brand new product/design with an iPad that hasn't changed since well before the Dock was announced, let's face it - it's not great. How did the prototype get signed off - maybe without a cable connected?! Maybe the communications/user guide are wrong or could be improved and the issue is actually widespread 'user error'?

Kyle - it would be useful to see a picture from Avid to show what is considered correct/acceptable, I suggest.
Mine is coming in tomorrow, and from what I gather, the cable does indeed fit in the little notch. It's just the people that insist on using the riser for some unknown reason that have the problem.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:55 PM

Thanks Robert - that is what I think Kyle was suggesting i.e. the riser is intended for iPad Mini and users of iPad Airs, etc. have to accept the different tilt angle in exchange for the cable fitting the notch as designed.

Maybe one of the current users could try this out now - nevertheless, it does sound like the documentation could be clearer and that there is little margin for error, so users will need to be careful to avoid damage to their tablet.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:51 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post

As I mentioned before, the iPad Mini Riser is meant for iPad Mini. The note in the guide was intended as "Hey, the riser is not intended for iPad 9.7". But, if you decide to use it anyway, then use a right angle lightning cable." I can get the guide updated to make that more explicit.

Below are photos from two different right angle cables - Belkin Mixit and EMTEC Ninety. Both $20 US.

Both are totally functional and don't interfere with operation, but the Belkin is the slimmer of the two designs. If by "not ideal" you mean "not aesthetically pleasing", then I can understand your point. But, since the riser is not meant for use with iPad 9.7", there is a compromise. But, I'd argue the right angle cable is better than having a flat lightning cable threaded between the encoders. Hence, our recommendation.

Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Belkin_front.jpg (23.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Belkin_back.jpg (31.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg EMTEC_front.jpg (21.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg EMTEC_back.jpg (26.9 KB, 0 views)
Berkeley, CA
Old 06-02-2016, 02:09 AM

This is what a cheap 3rd party lightning cable "licensed from Apple" looks like in the dock. There is very little room, but you can squeeze it all into place and get the iPad centered in the dock with some effort and some huevos. I hope the connectors are up for the challenge.

All I want now is a black connector... Where is that marker pen?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dock1.jpg (9.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png Dock 2.png (91.5 KB, 0 views)

Phone +46707773443
Old 06-02-2016, 09:15 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldStudios View Post
This is what a cheap 3rd party lightning cable "licensed from Apple" looks like in the dock. There is very little room, but you can squeeze it all into place and get the iPad centered in the dock with some effort and some huevos. I hope the connectors are up for the challenge.

All I want now is a black connector... Where is that marker pen?
Note, this image is without the riser. The clearance with the cable is a little tight, but the cable connector doesn't collide with the cable cutout of the Dock, so there is no stress on the actual connector. Can you elaborate on why "you hope the connectors are up for the challenge"? Is the connector on the cable you are using thicker than the one that shipped with your iPad?

Also, you might be better off just buying another lightning cable if you want it in black. For instance, this one is $6 US.
Berkeley, CA
Old 06-02-2016, 10:17 AM

I was just kidding about the marker pen. :) But on my dock with iPad Air 1, the connector does collide and has to enter the iPad at quite an angle. I have tried two cables and the first one was a no go. It wast too thick and long. I will look for the slimmest black one I can find over here

Phone +46707773443
Old 06-02-2016, 11:18 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldStudios View Post
I was just kidding about the marker pen. :) But on my dock with iPad Air 1, the connector does collide and has to enter the iPad at quite an angle. I have tried two cables and the first one was a no go. It wast too thick and long. I will look for the slimmest black one I can find over here
I have an Air 1 as well and this is not the case for me (see attached). Have you tried the stock lighting cable that came with your iPad? Do you have any kind of case or protective film on your iPad?

Also, can you post a pic from the side like mine?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Air_side.jpg (17.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Air_front.jpg (15.3 KB, 0 views)
Berkeley, CA