Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2015, 01:52 PM

Default Re: El Capitan and Mbox 2 Drivers.

Are ya'll saying that if I de-install the MBox3 driver I can use the MBox with El Capitan and my 2015 rMBP?
Old 12-31-2015, 04:41 AM

Pro tools 10.3 el capitain

pro tools driver works with the mbox 2 version 9 standalone drivers
working with mbox2 pro tools el capitain

pro tools 9 version standalone driver WORKS
Old 01-01-2016, 10:16 AM

UGH!!!!! I just updated to El Capitan this morning. My monitors won't work, Mbox2 is unresponsive. I can't even switch the sound from iTunes through my monitors anymore. I am totally pissed! I would have just left it in Lion for as long as I could have without changing anything as it was working just fine. Now what? Can I uninstall El Capitan?

Ok, so if I was considering upgrading my Mbox 2 to a Mbox that will work with El Capitan which one do I buy?

Last edited by FireJoe; 01-01-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:33 AM

Roll back to your last working backup. Or reinstall OS X, easiest if you have previous download purchases in your account or you can Purchase Lion on Apple's Online Store.

Nobody here to blame but yourself. Why would anybody with a working DAW want to upgrade to El Crapitan, a release that is causing more folks here pain than any OS X release in recent history?

El Capitan is a clusterf*ck of problems around USB audio interfaces for many interface vendors, and other issues.

Avid has always been relatively slow to update/qualify stuff, even if the interface was supported, and your Mbox 2 is beyond support life, and has been for a while.

Avid recommends not doing in-situ OS X upgrades, for good reason, they just get too flaky at times. So you went wrong there as well, if you really wanted to do this crazy upgrade you should have grabbed another disk, done a test install of El Capitan on that, installed Pro Tools and drivers and if it did not work just rebooted to your working system.

Your DAW going to be compatible with El Capitan?

If you really want to stay on El Crapitan, Check out Focusrite, which claims support today for all their low-end interfaces, and check their support/user forums to see if that works OK for folks.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:09 PM

You're right, I am to blame, I should've checked on here before I upgraded but in my hangover I said oh what the hell and that's exactly what I got. Well, I did find a way to uninstall El Capitan and reinstall Yosemite. It was not easy and required backing up everything to a separate drive, downloading Yosemite to a blank HD and erasing the main HD and then reinstalling Yosemite as the main OSX, then transferring all of the saved data back to the main HD. Took me all day. I will never upgrade OS X from here until I buy a new interface for recording that will require it. Thanks for the suggestions and advice, you guys are really cool and helpful. If anyone wants instructions on how to do this I can post a link to what I did.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireJoe View Post
You're right, I am to blame, I should've checked on here before I upgraded but in my hangover I said oh what the hell and that's exactly what I got. Well, I did find a way to uninstall El Capitan and reinstall Yosemite. It was not easy and required backing up everything to a separate drive, downloading Yosemite to a blank HD and erasing the main HD and then reinstalling Yosemite as the main OSX, then transferring all of the saved data back to the main HD. Took me all day. I will never upgrade OS X from here until I buy a new interface for recording that will require it. Thanks for the suggestions and advice, you guys are really cool and helpful. If anyone wants instructions on how to do this I can post a link to what I did.
Great. You did the right thing going with that full install. But just to be clear I hope you did not use migration assistant to bring over any apps or drivers. It is safer/better to reinstall all those from scratch. If it works for now it works. And next time you do a OS X upgrade you can aim to do a full clean install with full clean driver and app installs (probably with a new interface).

I am normally fairly critical of Avid when they screw up or are ultra slow to do stuff, but Apple has made quite a mess with El Capitan. Best to avoid for now if possible. I pity users trapped into it with new Apple Macs.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:57 PM

No I actually reinstalled the drivers for the mbox2 with installation cd. It seems to have worked so far. I was able to run regular iTunes music through the Mbox out to my monitors, so I know the installation of the drivers worked. Tomorrow I will attempt to run a PT session and hopefully I'll have no problems.

Prior to installing the drivers I did reinstall PT 11 and start a session file just to be sure that the program actually worked after reinstalling it. That was actually pretty simple to do. It seemed to work with no problems. I'll see tomorrow if I can record guitars and midi keys.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:07 PM

FireJoe - are you saying you got El Capitan to recognize an MBox2 using an MBox2 Driver? Even if that were the case, I would hate to go from the MBox2 back to the 2 - but, whatever works.

To some of the other posters above - - maybe El Capitan is a mess for some but I think it is a very solid OS. I have quite a lot of other USB devices I have plugged in to it and they all work fine. Only the MBox3 has a problem. You know, I just bought a $9 Sorbent USB adapter for my 2015rMBP running El Capitan. I just opened Pro Tools 1st and PT1st recognizes it. I suppose I can now record into ProTools for a $9 investment while I wait for AVID to update the MBox driver.
SO WHY DOES El Capitan recognize a $9 USB device but not my $400+ MBox? Does not sound like El Capitan is that finicky about USB devices.

Last edited by Ormond; 01-01-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormond View Post
FireJoe - are you saying you got El Capitan to recognize an MBox2 using an MBox2 Driver? Even if that were the case, I would hate to go from the MBox2 back to the 2 - but, whatever works.

To some of the other posters above - - maybe El Capitan is a mess for some but I think it is a very solid OS. I have quite a lot of other USB devices I have plugged in to it and they all work fine. Only the MBox3 has a problem. You know, I just bought a $9 Sorbent USB adapter for my 2015rMBP running El Capitan. I just opened Pro Tools 1st and PT1st recognizes it. I suppose I can now record into ProTools for a $9 investment while I wait for AVID to update the MBox driver.
SO WHY DOES El Capitan recognize a $9 USB device but not my $400+ MBox? Does not sound like El Capitan is that finicky about USB devices.
Not maybe to some, El Capitan is definitively a mess to many.

Your POS $9 USB adapter is a class complaint USB device, it is not trying to do anything interesting that higher performance third party interface drivers do, using kernel interfaces that Apple has seemingly broken for many device drivers in El Capitan. I'm not sure what your $9 adapter does but I can't imagine it has any input, you likely would be a lot better off just using built-in output, or built-in S/PDIF out to a DAC/heaphone amp.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:51 AM

No, El Capitan has been erased from my HD altogether and I'm running Yosemite 10.10.4. I erased the entire HD and reinstalled yosemite. I had to reinstall the Mbox 2 drivers from cd rom