Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2015, 12:35 PM

Default Slate Digital has gone subscription

Even Slate Digital has gone the subscription route as outlined on this page:
http://www.slatedigital.com/mix-master-bundles/
$240 US per year and that includes any new plugins Slate comes out with. Sounds like Steven needs to raise some cash.

Does this sound familiar at all?

QAPLA!
Old 08-05-2015, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Slate Digital has gone subscription

I thought this was already in place from January. Link is overloaded. From what I remember you still have option to buy. Or you can sub for $19.99/mnth for everything.

IMO, plugin subscription option is a good thing. How many people buy plugins constantly, full price, based on hype and never use them past the first month. How many of us have computers full of plugins and every end of session winds up being same old waves plugins we had for years.

Slate subscription is really good after watching the video. You get every single new plugin they do for the same $19.99/mnth. And if you get free months based on how many Slate plugins you own already.

https://youtu.be/c3mtj0xXrlE

Quote:
this new extended trial will instantly get you three new products including the new Custom Series Equalizer, Custom Series Parallel Lift, and the Relab LX480 Complete reverb bundle

Last edited by Wall2Wall; 08-05-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall2Wall View Post
I thought this was already in place from January. Link is overloaded. From what I remember you still have option to buy. Or you can sub for $19.99/mnth for everything.

IMO, plugin subscription option is a good thing. How many people buy plugins constantly, full price, based on hype and never use them past the first month. How many of us have computers full of plugins and every end of session winds up being same old waves plugins we had for years.

Slate subscription is really good after watching the video. You get every single new plugin they do for the same $19.99/mnth. And if you get free months based on how many Slate plugins you own already.

https://youtu.be/c3mtj0xXrlE
I just got the email on this today; same email also introduced the Slate Digital Mix/Master bundles. I don't deal well with subscription software; I want to have outright access without having to worry if my monthly fee has been paid by my credit card. It's like auto-pay for bills - never had it, don't want it, don't trust it. Subscription is why I froze my Adobe Audition at the last version before that went subscription - they have no buy option. Same for PT although I don't trust Avid to not go sub only either.

It took a good 5 minutes for the site to come up after I clicked the link (which I did before I started typing this) and yes you still have the option to buy.

One little thing: the $240 does not include the LX480 reverb. That's in another bundle that costs $299. Whether that's annual price or it drops to $240 for the next year - I don't know. So I guess 'every plugin we have and will continue to make' may have a gotcha but at least this time it's in not-so-small print.

QAPLA!
Old 08-05-2015, 01:37 PM

I don't see an issue with Slate at all, in fact his monthly subscription is very affordable, especially for the indie.

I will try the 2 months free I got and will evaluate...
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 08-05-2015, 01:41 PM

Yes it sounds very friendly.....

You don't have to rent it continuously and you can restart at anytime WITHOUT a fee.

Whenever you need it....sounds cool. Yes they are giving away coupons for perpetual licenses along with a really cheap price.

$20 a month for the entire product line? I might actually try VBC now just for kicks.....Oh wait I have free months of rental I just have to claim....

It looks like it was handled well...
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:52 PM

VBC is really good. As is VTM. Quick run through on Custom EQ and Custom Lift. They are really good also.

What is FG-Bomber?

Also seems to be a new BLUE FG-116 all the way to the right.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:05 PM

FG-Bomber is coming "soon"!

I wonder if Steve will still honor the original deal of giving you $200 back towards permanent licenses after 1 year of paid subscription...? EDIT: Yup, that's happening! Yay!

Also, there seems to be incentive if you own every Slate plugin all ready (like I do.) Free months towards the subscription, I think, not sure of the numbers yet, tho.

Regardless, I'm sure the new plugins sound fantastic; can't wait to try them out!
Old 08-05-2015, 04:26 PM

You still have the option to buy them outright

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-05-2015, 04:42 PM

This is just silly, and Steven doesn't have any reason for that kind of desperate b/s headlines.
What he's is offering here is really great for people who don't own the plugins, yet, or only few of them. For people like me who already bought everything it isn't that interesting. But it doesn't have to be. He's just offering alternatives.

In contrast to Avid's subscription model I can't find anything to criticise here. It's all fair and nobody loses.
He even keeps on giving away free iLoks.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 08-05-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
In contrast to Avid's subscription model I can't find anything to criticise here. It's all fair and nobody loses.

My sentiments exactly, he probably paid close attention to what the customer base was so upset about and adjusted the direction accordingly
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.