Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 08-09-2014, 03:30 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 and OSX Mavericks

Hello apollo116.

Given your post (in 2013) about running Protools 9 on your Mac Mini, I'm wondering if you know the answer to this:

I've recently (stupidly!) upgraded my iMac (desktop) to Maverick, so now my Protools 9 (& Mbox interface) will NOT work.

I also have a MacBook Air which I have NOT upgraded to Maverick, i.e. my MacBook Air is Mac OS X 10.7.5. Do you happen to know whether I'd be able run Protools 9 on the MacBook Air? Or is it just way too small? (I would, of course, make sure there was enough 'space' on it.)

Kind regards,
Ronnoco
Old 08-09-2014, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnoco View Post
Hello apollo116.

Given your post (in 2013) about running Protools 9 on your Mac Mini, I'm wondering if you know the answer to this:

I've recently (stupidly!) upgraded my iMac (desktop) to Maverick, so now my Protools 9 (& Mbox interface) will NOT work.

I also have a MacBook Air which I have NOT upgraded to Maverick, i.e. my MacBook Air is Mac OS X 10.7.5. Do you happen to know whether I'd be able run Protools 9 on the MacBook Air? Or is it just way too small? (I would, of course, make sure there was enough 'space' on it.)

Kind regards,
Ronnoco
If you have the original disks that came with your iMac you should be able to backdate to whatever version of OSX you had on the machine. What version did you have on it before you made the update mistake?

QAPLA!
Old 08-09-2014, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
before you made the update mistake
Note for everyone needing to use PT, always Always ALWAYS read the compatibility documents and readme files before any update. Those will tell you whether you can or cannot update, or if you need to update whether you need to upgrade PT as well.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:54 AM

i am running PT9.0.6 on my newer Air 13" with no problems. i haven't tasked it too hard but i was amazed at how well it works. i am using the new Apollo Twin Solo.

oh, latest Mavericks OS.

fwiw,
m.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:52 PM

Thanks for replies.

My iMac was Mac OS X Snow Leopard (almost sure that's 10.6.8). If anyone's successfully downgraded (had no problems) please let me know.

[One computer whizz person has advised NOT downgrading (he said, "...there could be problems with computer down the track")...but I AM open to discovering other points of view. I'll also pursue Apple advice.]
Old 08-10-2014, 08:55 PM

Ahh...just found where the quick / direct reply button is. So...thank you (also) Marty for that info (regarding running PT 9.0.6 on a MacAir).
Old 08-13-2014, 11:03 PM

Mindful of all written in this thread:
I want to (at least) use just the MBox Pro (interface) which came with Protools 9, on my iMac Maverick 10.9.4 (as an interface for recording onto GarageBand).
Obviously, it also doesn't work (as is) with Maverick.
But, I've been advised (by the music store I purchased Protools 9 from) to download the latest MBox driver (from Avid) & then I should be able to use it (on the iMac Maverick, for use with GarageBand).
Does anyone here agree with that? If so, where would I find the driver update? The following link shows that the latest driver only works on Maverick up to 10.9.3:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...ox-Pro-Drivers
Old 08-14-2014, 06:25 PM

Arrow Re: Pro Tools 9 and OSX Mavericks

Try that driver with v10.9.4 and see what happens. The dealer's logic is logical.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:01 PM

Thanks Jonathon (Chief Technician).

Latest info, in case useful:
One of Apple's (face-to-face) 'Genius Bar' technicians has told me I can downgrade my iMac from Maverick back to 10.6.8. They will help do it in the Apple store (for free). And, if wanted, I can have two separate compartments on the computer, one running Maverick and the other running Snow Leopard(?) (10.6.8), which I could use just for Pro Tools (9.0.5).

First though, I'll update my Pro Tools to 9.0.6 on my iMac Maverick (as mentioned by someone in this thread) and see how that goes.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:08 PM

They will probably clean-install snow leopard for you, but I guess you need to transfer your data manually. Have a backup before you let them do anything for it!