Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 06-25-2012, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Why yes, this is the successful Hackintosh build thread!

Actually, jailbreaking was explicitly decided to count as fair use not too long ago.

Since all you're doing is jailbreaking software, that specification, at least, of the EULA is on questionable ground……if someone with enough money for a good enough layer decides to fight it. But…Apple won't prosecute in any way (in civil court or under software piracy laws) because the supreme court has a track record of being anti-EULA. They struck down broken-seal EULAs not ridiculously long ago.

It's kind of like how Abortion is illegal in a few places because no one wants to take the laws to court right now for fear of the supreme court reversing roe v. wade.

So, let's stop this completely unproductive discussion and get back to me wondering if there are any motherboards out there that will actually give performance as good as the 2010 mac pros. Their geek bench scores are >20,000 with some of the better hackintoshes seeming to come in around half that, and the difference seems to be single quad-core i7s vs. a pair of 6-core Xenons.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
So, let's stop this completely unproductive discussion and get back to me wondering if there are any motherboards out there that will actually give performance as good as the 2010 mac pros. Their geek bench scores are >20,000 with some of the better hackintoshes seeming to come in around half that, and the difference seems to be single quad-core i7s vs. a pair of 6-core Xenons.
Here here!

Downloading Geekbench as I type.

I can tell you right now that this setup is SCREAMING fast, but I would like to compare it to some of the older Mac Pros.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 06-25-2012, 10:15 AM

And the results (32-bit):

Integer Processor integer performance 11250
Floating Point Processor floating point performance 20302
Memory Memory performance 6905
Stream Memory bandwidth performance 6697

Total: 13093

Now, considering this is a "soft" overclocking job (a 2700K can go to 5GHz no problem, but I'm still using the stock heatsink. I plan on upgrading later and really giving her a go), it ranks pretty insanely high compared to "real" Macs.

Just to give you an idea of how high it is:

Quote:
Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
Intel Xeon X5670 2930 MHz (12 cores)

Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
Intel Xeon X5650 2670 MHz (12 cores)

Mac Pro (Early 2009)
Intel Xeon X5570 2930 MHz (8 cores)

Xserve (Early 2009)
Intel Xeon X5550 2670 MHz (8 cores)

Mac Pro (Early 2009)
Intel Xeon X5550 2670 MHz (8 cores)

Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
Intel Xeon W3680 3330 MHz (6 cores)

These are the only shipping Macs that scored higher than my current configuration, and they are all modern 6 to 12-core systems. Not a single quad-Xeon holds a candle. I paid $1300 total, including case and power supply for my lowly quad. I'm betting with some tweaks, I can get it past the 6-core, and maybe even that 2009 8-core.

D

Old 06-25-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froyo View Post
Hello. No this is incorrect. It is written out and specified that the software con only be installed on an 'Apple-labeled' computer.

"This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time"

That means it is illegal to install it on a NON Apple labeled computer. Sorry. It's illegal.
So just stick an Apple label on your computer, and get over it.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
Old 06-25-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
..... I paid $1300 total, including case and power supply for my lowly quad. I'm betting with some tweaks, I can get it past the 6-core, and maybe even that 2009 8-core.
And how much of your time at $x/hr have you put in?

And how much is your time worth when something doesn't work or an OS update, or PT update renders it useless or unstable.

I still don't see the advantage.
Is your machine anywhere close to a Mac Pro in design or build quality?

A used Nehalem Quad can be had for much less than $1,300,even an 8 core.

Honestly, what is the point?

There may come a day when the Mac Pro is not available, but right now the price for a used one, or even a new one, is just not that much.

What am I missing

kasper
Old 06-25-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
And how much of your time at $x/hr have you put in?

And how much is your time worth when something doesn't work or an OS update, or PT update renders it useless or unstable.

I still don't see the advantage.
Is your machine anywhere close to a Mac Pro in design or build quality?

A used Nehalem Quad can be had for much less than $1,300,even an 8 core.

Honestly, what is the point?

There may come a day when the Mac Pro is not available, but right now the price for a used one, or even a new one, is just not that much.

What am I missing

kasper
Not really much more time than I'd spend on any other brand new system. I always do a fresh reformat on any new system, and component build only took about 2 hours. It was also my day off.

There is no Xeon Quad that even comes close to this system. Any Mac Pro that can be had for less than $1500 right now is too old for the next generation of OS and other future softwares that will be out by the end of this year.

Build quality? Well... Gigabyte has the best reputation in the industry right now for components. The i7 2700K is from a higher bin of silcon than the rest of the 1155 series. I have a custom chassis that has better ventilation than a Mac Pro, and is ready to go at any time for liquid cooling if I so wish. RAM usually isn't anything special, for the most part. I've put aftermarket RAM in a number of Macs from notebook to tower with no issues at all. The HD 6850 video card is a huge step up from the 5750 used in Mac Pros.

Plus... I have no on-board soundcard getting in the way of anything... This Mac sees my LS56 as my only sound device. I can turn off GPU virtualization, so the on-die GPU doesn't get in the way. I have only the I/O I need, and I can swap out whatever I need, whenever I want. Not to mention there's overclocking, USB3, direct access to voltages, and a system on the latest chipset that will be approved for several years to come.

You get to determine your own build quality vs. price. I bet if I upgraded to a 6-core, it would blow all of these machines out of the water. You can also build a decent Hackintosh for far less than what I paid, too.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I get the appeal of a Mac. I've owned a Macbook Pro for 4 1/2 years now, and it's been the most reliable notebook I've ever had. But, a new Macbook Pro isn't as good as the older ones, as far as pure function in a "Pro" environment. Goodbye FireWire, a matte screen costs extra, no expresscard slot, unless you get the 17" and where did the Enter key go???

I'm not buying a $3500 laptop when I can build a $1300 PC that is much more powerful and has exactly the features I need/want.

If you run a post setup... I get it. You need a Mac Pro. Anything else... you don't need it. Not these days. Maybe in 2013 when they're supposedly giving the pro users what they want... but that's too little, too late for me.

D

Old 06-25-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:

It IS illegal for someone to install OSX on non-Mac systems and then sell them as their own systems. This represents property right infringement, etc.

simple... never heard of the case myself... but its pretty obvious why its illegal for them to do so... nothing to do on what actual computer, mac or pc the software is installed... APPLE is the only one that can sell its software installed on a computer... and its on a MAC... any two year old should know that...

& just so there is no more misinformation being tossed around, throwing a blanket statement like ALL THE BIGS go MAC..!? you're just plain & simply misinformed.. most big studio names have contracts with APPLE to advertise they carry their products... once you walk in to an actual studio you realize they have both options available for their clients who are paying big money to use the location... its just easy math mate... i know a few local studios actually are testing out new lga2011 platforms as we speak, they cost less than half the price of a mac. there's a local shop in town who has been building custom PCs for some of the biggest names in post production and have been quiet successful at it actually... I am damn sure these studios are asking about OS options by now... for a lot of them, its all about the bottom line and todays budgets are not what they had to play with in the 80s...

all arguments regarding different macs being available for sale cheap end for me at one simple fact.. i do not buy used computers... never have, never will.. speaking of build quality, INTEL & NVIDIA & ASUS & MSI & EVGA & GIGABYTE will take any MAC PRO to the mat and keep coming back for more.. again.. you're just misinformed... those of us who have been comfortable with BOTH PLATFORMS for years know how to build a SOLID PC regardless of what OS runs it... that has always been the beauty of the pc world, competition builds excellence! THAT is a fact.!

personally i grew tired of the MAC OR PC argument a decade ago, what gets the job done, gets my vote.. people start singing a different tune when they realize the budget is no longer there, and they are force to sell those 2-3 year old
macs at bargain basement prices off to remain compatible with the new version of PRO TOOLS...

Quote:
Just like you can't be arrested for Jailbreaking an iPhone. Apple would love it, if it were possible... but it isn't. Apple already tried lobbying for it, and the supreme court threw it out as rubbish.

Please, get over it.
YEAH i gotta agree.. i always laugh at how much $$ they toss at these cases.. and they never make any money at it... its like taking SAMSUNG to court for getting in bed with GOOGLE and designing a system that just plain an simply kicks
any iphone to the curb.. i know, i own a NEXUS... solid as can be.. much bigger screen & fast as all heck...

anyway.. mac or pc argument is old and boring... i wish y'all the best of luck with the thread... i may consider it in the future.. i'm perfectly happy with WINDOWS 7 myself..

Old 06-25-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Not really much more time than I'd spend on any other brand new system. I always do a fresh reformat on any new system, and component build only took about 2 hours. It was also my day off.

There is no Xeon Quad that even comes close to this system. Any Mac Pro that can be had for less than $1500 right now is too old for the next generation of OS and other future softwares that will be out by the end of this year.

Well, any Mac Pro takes exactly 0 time to build.

Check the used market, the very Mac Pros you are trying so hard to reach/surpass on your benchmarks are available for less than $1500.
And mind you, that's only a processor benchmark. There is nothing out there for the same $$ that come close to the design of the Mac Pro.
Dual processor, ECC memory, case design, HD bays ...... just a few of the features that are not available in a PC design. Not unless you spend a lot more money.
And even if you did match the features, tech, and elegant design ..... well, you're still left with an unsupported, untrustworthy and possibly illegal hack.

You like to spend your time building/tweaking. I get it, and that's cool.
If you're into it, go for it.
But for the pro market, it's just not worth the hassle, time or possible legal issues. No client will put up with the pitfalls.

kasper
Old 06-25-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
Check the used market, the very Mac Pros you are trying so hard to reach/surpass on your benchmarks are available for less than $1500.
Mind if I ask where?
Old 06-25-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
Mind if I ask where?

Start here.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...=apple+mac+pro