Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2004, 11:50 AM

Default DYN: Dynamic Voice Allocation?

I know that this is the new name in version 6.4 but I have never figured out what it's used for. dyn or off?? Is this automatable? Has it got something to do with active/inactive tracks? What's the trick? I can't find any info on this.

Everything else in 6.4 seems to be ok so far.

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
G4 MMD Dual 1g + 1.25g RAM
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
3 Lacie 80g FW Audio Drives
Old 04-20-2004, 12:43 PM

Default Re: DYN: Dynamic Voice Allocation?

I found an explanation in the reference guide, took a while, however after all the tracking I've done for music and movies I don't think this feature has ever been activated. Maybe it's just an automatic LE thing that we (the user) don't need to know about or see opperate. So why would we want to be able to turn it to OFF? if it is automatic. Seems like an after thought with little in the way of practicality.

I still wish we could automate ACTIVE/INACTIVE tracks...this would make much more sence since we would still be limited to 32 active voices simultaniously.

Ahh, the limitations of LE.....still, not bad for the price when you consider the price of a Yamaha 4 track tape deck just 8 years ago.

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
Old 04-20-2004, 01:30 PM

the use of "DYN" in the voice assignment area is because it was confusing to see "Auto" there, as it is in every version since 5.1 on TDM and 6.0 in LE. The confusion was that you had "auto read" in one button, and "auto" in another and they were practically on top of each other in older versions. This is just a different way of saying the same thing. In TDM, voice assignments are possible and not all that uncommon. In LE, it's just so you can turn off the voice of a track and allow you to have more tracks than actual voices, rather than having to delete the track.

Old 04-20-2004, 03:54 PM

But you don't need to delete the tracks, just make them inactive. I know the name has changed from the ref guide, and the new name suites it well....I guess, but in the end it's on the chanel strip for a reason but does very little. IMHO in LE anyway....so why bother?

Has anyone found a good use for this "dyn" addition to LE yet? any tricks up yer sleeve that I should know about?

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
Old 04-20-2004, 06:05 PM

The fact that it's there is new in version 6 software. That's one of the major things that gives you the ability to deactivate a track or free up a voice for another audio track. Basically, it's the thing that allows you to have more than 32 tracks worth of stuff. That's its purpose. In TDM, voices are selectable so you can actually assign one or more tracks to the same voice. That would require DSP and is not included in the LE systems. The only purpose that selector serves is to allow you to set a tracks voice to off and free up that resource for another track.